Texas Hunting Forum

Hand loading .45 LC cowboy Loads using Pyrodex

Posted By: rdhibbs

Hand loading .45 LC cowboy Loads using Pyrodex - 08/01/18 05:53 PM

You do not get any more green horn than me on Hand loads.

I am getting my son and I Cap and ball revolvers, pitta new model army's to be exact. Each comes with a .45 LC conversion cylinder.

The conversion cylinder specifics Cowboy Action loads with a max velocity of 800 fps and lead bullet only. I am considering getting the the Lee Classic loader for .45 LC. and loading with Pyrodex.

Can I just use the same powder charge in the cartage as I do the cap and ball cylinder? I do plan to use a filler wad in the brass to make sure that the powder is compressed.

I hope that this will be a good introduction to making hand loads for both of us.
Posted By: kmon11

Re: Hand loading .45 LC cowboy Loads using Pyrodex - 08/01/18 05:58 PM

Pretty sure Hodgdon has data for that combination in their cowboy action loads. Like in a cap and ball setup or muzzle loader you want the pyrodex to fill the volume available to it no air extra air space
Posted By: wp75169

Re: Hand loading .45 LC cowboy Loads using Pyrodex - 08/01/18 05:59 PM

I would use “Trailboss”. It’s an excellent powder for the loads you describe. No need for any kind of filler/wad that you mention.
Posted By: kmon11

Re: Hand loading .45 LC cowboy Loads using Pyrodex - 08/01/18 06:03 PM

http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/reloading-education/tips-and-tricks/cowboy-action-loads

Unless you just want the smoke from the pyrodex I would load with a powder called Trail Boss that was developed for cowboy action ype loads.

http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/data/pistol

Re: Hand loading .45 LC cowboy Loads using Pyrodex - 08/01/18 06:04 PM

Thank you guys, I will see what I can find

Re: Hand loading .45 LC cowboy Loads using Pyrodex - 08/01/18 06:35 PM

Depending on where you’re located I can hook you up with an unopened container of trailboss, plenty of brass, maybe some primers, and I’m relatively certain I have some bullets I can throw in. All for say. Free. It’s stuff I no longer use nor ever intend to.

Re: Hand loading .45 LC cowboy Loads using Pyrodex - 08/01/18 06:40 PM

Just looked that’s a bit far to drive and the hazmat fee would be higher than the cost of the powder. I will ship you some brass and bullets if you want them. It’ll get you started.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Hand loading .45 LC cowboy Loads using Pyrodex - 08/01/18 07:05 PM

Like others have said, I would opt for the trail boss powder.

Re: Hand loading .45 LC cowboy Loads using Pyrodex - 08/01/18 07:14 PM

Thank you sir
PM Sent

Re: Hand loading .45 LC cowboy Loads using Pyrodex - 08/01/18 07:17 PM

Never herd of trail boss, after checking it out some it sounds like some good stuff. I will see if I can get it here or Amarillo.

Thank You very much for all the information.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum