Texas Hunting Forum

Quick range trip: ELDX vs Barnes vs core lokt vs Fed pre

Posted By: Bigfoot

Quick range trip: ELDX vs Barnes vs core lokt vs Fed pre - 07/07/18 12:50 AM

Took a quick trip to the range afterwork. They close at 7 and they want you out before then so not much time to shoot.

Temp 86-87
humidity 67%
pressure 30.03
wind: swirling 10 mph gusts to 14
100 yards

Sako 85 Black Bear w 3-9 X40 Trijicon 30/06
AR6.8 Blackstone upper 1-6 Strike Eagle

top left 178GR ELDX 3 shots
top right 168 Gr Hog Hammer 3 shots
bottom left 150 GR Federal Premium 3 shots
bottom right 150 Gr Core lokt 3 shots
middle 120 Gr Hornday sst 14 shots

Looks like the ELDX just barely outshoots the other 3
Posted By: JJH

Re: Quick range trip: ELDX vs Barnes vs core lokt vs Fed pre - 07/07/18 02:44 AM

I like the looks of the Barnes group better than the ELDX
Posted By: J.G.

Re: Quick range trip: ELDX vs Barnes vs core lokt vs Fed pre - 07/07/18 12:00 PM

This is more of a manufacturer powder charge than it is a bullet test. You could hand load all of those bullets and make them shoot much tighter than that.
Posted By: duckhunter175

Re: Quick range trip: ELDX vs Barnes vs core lokt vs Fed pre - 07/07/18 12:47 PM

Did you pull the shot with the 178gr ELDX? Looks like you had a sub 1" group going...

I'm assuming those Hornady's are the Precision Hunter factory loads? I've seen very favorable results from them in several different cartridges-- .270, .280ai, .308, .300wm
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: Quick range trip: ELDX vs Barnes vs core lokt vs Fed pre - 07/07/18 02:25 PM

your good with any of them.

GREAT RIFLE and it will shoot better than this. Lighten the trigger and get a more magnification. I realize this is probably your "deer" gun and shots will not be long, so I say you're GTG.

trade the 6.8 and the Trijicon for a new scope, some great deals out there now. Just my opinion. I own an AR but not a fan.

this rig Will Kill
Posted By: scottfromdallas

Re: Quick range trip: ELDX vs Barnes vs core lokt vs Fed pre - 07/07/18 02:30 PM

My 6.8 AR loves factory loaded 120 SSTs. First group on the right, overshot my adjustments a little and shot the group on the left.

Re: Quick range trip: ELDX vs Barnes vs core lokt vs Fed pre - 07/08/18 06:27 PM

Originally Posted By: duckhunter175
Did you pull the shot with the 178gr ELDX? Looks like you had a sub 1" group going...

I'm assuming those Hornady's are the Precision Hunter factory loads? I've seen very favorable results from them in several different cartridges-- .270, .280ai, .308, .300wm

Im just not that good and the bench that I have to shoot off of sux! I did shoot the first 2 next to each other and the last one was a litle low on the ELDX. I did have a good group started for sure.
Posted By: duckhunter175

Re: Quick range trip: ELDX vs Barnes vs core lokt vs Fed pre - 07/08/18 06:32 PM

Originally Posted By: Bigfoot
Originally Posted By: duckhunter175

Im just not that good and the bench that I have to shoot off of sux! I did shoot the first 2 next to each other and the last one was a litle low on the ELDX. I did have a good group started for sure.

I'd definitely give those ELDX another try and see if they will group up for you!

Re: Quick range trip: ELDX vs Barnes vs core lokt vs Fed pre - 07/08/18 06:35 PM

Originally Posted By: Buzzsaw
your good with any of them.

GREAT RIFLE and it will shoot better than this. Lighten the trigger and get a more magnification. I realize this is probably your "deer" gun and shots will not be long, so I say you're GTG.

trade the 6.8 and the Trijicon for a new scope, some great deals out there now. Just my opinion. I own an AR but not a fan.

this rig Will Kill

The rifle shoots much better than this. The spread is just me and my shakes and heartbeat.

I think that is good advice to get a better scope. Such a nice rifle should have the best optics (and it will). I would really like a swaro 2-12 or a NF compact 2.5-10 but not sure I can afford them for awhile.

But no way would I sell my AR68. I hunt the SHNF and taking several shots and quick shots are a must so the AR is a much better tool for that type of spot and stalk hunting through the dense canopy. No magnification is needed in the jungle I hunt so having a scope without a 1X magnification would suck.

Re: Quick range trip: ELDX vs Barnes vs core lokt vs Fed pre - 07/08/18 06:46 PM

The ELDX is going to be my muledeer or longer distance round for sure.

Sorry boys I dont see what the fun is of reloading. Doesnt interest me in the least bit but shooting well and getting better and improving my shooting skills does interest me.

So I will take any advice given.

Good shooting scott. I need to try another bullet in my AR other than the SST. I am very happy with its performance but maybe I was thinking of a 95 gr barnes for some speed.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum