Texas Hunting Forum

Tikka 243 ammo help

Posted By: ZK-315

Tikka 243 ammo help - 05/31/18 03:00 PM

My BIL recently picked up a tikka 243 for when his son gets old enough to shoot, but has since started liking the less recoil over his 30-06. What factory rounds are yall having good luck with on white tails in this 243? I told him to go pick out 5-6 different boxes of different ammo to see what shot the best, but where he went only had 3 different selections.

I told him worst case, I could load for him, but I'm really hoping we can find him a decent factory round. So what say the THF?
Posted By: syncerus

Re: Tikka 243 ammo help - 05/31/18 03:19 PM

I think that you have the right idea. I'm a big fan of 80-85 grain mono-metal bullets in the .243, but there's no doubt they cost more and can be more temperamental in terms of accuracy.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Tikka 243 ammo help - 05/31/18 03:47 PM

I haven't shot a lot of 243's, but out of the ones I have typical 100 grain soft points federal blue box, Winchesters, or remingtons have shot fine in all of them and served fine for deer collectors.

Re: Tikka 243 ammo help - 05/31/18 03:59 PM

Thanks for the tips. He's bringing it to me this weekend to tinker with a bit. He said out of the 3 different boxes he picked up, it was spraying 2-3" groups, but I'm not sure if he's letting it cool any, or what he's doing....

I'm going to check his rings and make sure everything is nice and tight before I go slinging some lead.
Posted By: PMK

Re: Tikka 243 ammo help - 05/31/18 05:21 PM

Originally Posted By: ZK-315
Thanks for the tips. He's bringing it to me this weekend to tinker with a bit. He said out of the 3 different boxes he picked up, it was spraying 2-3" groups, but I'm not sure if he's letting it cool any, or what he's doing....

I'm going to check his rings and make sure everything is nice and tight before I go slinging some lead.

that might be as good as he gets ... LOL
Posted By: Triplesnake

Re: Tikka 243 ammo help - 05/31/18 06:09 PM

Originally Posted By: PMK

Doubt it. My wife's Tikka .243 is really accurate. Of course we're shooting hand loads now, but I remember it being very capable with factory stuff too. Try the Federal Premium with the 100gr Sierra Gamekings
Posted By: Jgraider

Re: Tikka 243 ammo help - 05/31/18 06:10 PM

95gr ballistic tips are very effective killers.

Re: Tikka 243 ammo help - 05/31/18 07:03 PM

Originally Posted By: Triplesnake
Originally Posted By: PMK

Doubt it. My wife's Tikka .243 is really accurate. Of course we're shooting hand loads now, but I remember it being very capable with factory stuff too. Try the Federal Premium with the 100gr Sierra Gamekings

He's referring to the shooter, not the gun roflmao

I'll give those gamekings a shot.
Posted By: Amarillo.Hunter

Re: Tikka 243 ammo help - 06/01/18 01:00 PM

I had amazing performance on game shooting Federal 100gr Nosler Partitions
Posted By: Brother in-law

Re: Tikka 243 ammo help - 06/01/18 06:28 PM

90 gr accubonds kilt pretty good
Posted By: kmon11

Re: Tikka 243 ammo help - 06/01/18 08:03 PM

85gr Partitions and 90gr accubonds are what I have used most in the 243, they both work well
Posted By: ckat

Re: Tikka 243 ammo help - 06/02/18 03:28 AM

Originally Posted By: Jgraider
95gr ballistic tips are very effective killers.

x2
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum