Texas Hunting Forum

Big difference between accubond and ballistic tip???

Posted By: Mike Honcho

Big difference between accubond and ballistic tip??? - 04/22/18 03:57 AM

I've had good success with nosler ballistic tips, but decided I'd like to find loads for my main hunting rifles using traditional accubonds not broke into the LR's yet. Started right around where my ballistic tip load is. Well groups went from 1/2" or better to double or triple group size. Did ladders and brought most groups down to 1" but no where close. Keep in mind this is with identical weight pills and no change in the gun. Before I attempt to find a bonded load for more rifles I wanted yalls experience. I know it's not just twist. It's also jump, speed, length of bullet, and length of bearing surface that makes contact with rifling. I just can't believe in my 7x57, 7mag, 6.5 Creedmoor it's all same results with accubonds.
Posted By: dee

Re: Big difference between accubond and ballistic tip??? - 04/22/18 04:10 AM

My rifles have always been opposite of your experience when going fron bt to accubonds. I will drop just a touch off the bt load and work back up but 99%of the time the same load works between the 2 identical weighted bullets.
Posted By: Bbear

Re: Big difference between accubond and ballistic tip??? - 04/22/18 01:55 PM

I found that the accubonds like more 'jump' than many other bullets. I use the 142 ABLR in two rifles and 110's in two rifles and 90 gr in one. All of them are jumping between .075"-.1" from the lands.
Posted By: Jgraider

Re: Big difference between accubond and ballistic tip??? - 04/23/18 12:45 AM

Originally Posted By: dee
My rifles have always been opposite of your experience when going fron bt to accubonds. I will drop just a touch off the bt load and work back up but 99%of the time the same load works between the 2 identical weighted bullets.

Same loads work for me too, and the BT's shoot to same POI as the AB's.
Posted By: HandgunHTR

Re: Big difference between accubond and ballistic tip??? - 04/23/18 02:03 AM

I will echo what has been said. For my 7mm-08, I use the same load for 140 grain BTs and Accubonds. They have the exact same velocity and point of impact. Accuracy is close enough that it doesn't matter, either. It makes practice a lot more cost effective for me.
Posted By: Mike Honcho

Re: Big difference between accubond and ballistic tip??? - 04/23/18 12:32 PM

Thanks for the info guys. I guess the old adage "what works in my rifle may not work in another". I'll play around with them a bit more.
Posted By: rickt300

Re: Big difference between accubond and ballistic tip??? - 05/05/18 05:06 PM

I have had such fine performance with the 150 gr .284 and the .308 180 gr. Ballistic Tips I just don't need the Accubond. If I want a tougher bullet I use a Partition.
Posted By: scottfromdallas

Re: Big difference between accubond and ballistic tip??? - 05/06/18 02:38 PM

Originally Posted By: rickt300
I have had such fine performance with the 150 gr .284 and the .308 180 gr. Ballistic Tips I just don't need the Accubond. If I want a tougher bullet I use a Partition.

I've had really good experiences as well. They are my preferred bullet because I've found them very easy to load accurately and their performance on game has been outstanding.
Posted By: nyalubwe

Re: Big difference between accubond and ballistic tip??? - 05/10/18 12:44 PM

Originally Posted By: scottfromdallas
Originally Posted By: rickt300

I've had really good experiences as well. They are my preferred bullet because I've found them very easy to load accurately and their performance on game has been outstanding.

Same-o here. Ballistic Tips have improved radically from when they were first introduced 25 years ago...
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Big difference between accubond and ballistic tip??? - 05/10/18 02:33 PM

Ive never shot a deer or hog over 200 yards so I just skip all the tipped bullet hullabaloo and start with the bullet that set the standard for on game bullet performance, the nosler partition.

Re: Big difference between accubond and ballistic tip??? - 05/10/18 11:09 PM

I followed the sales SPS had and loaded up on both Partitions and Ballistic Tips. Both are excellent bullets at any range at least the two mentioned are.
Posted By: vanguard

Re: Big difference between accubond and ballistic tip??? - 05/16/18 12:47 AM

very first load with accubonds in my 6.5 creed shot a .3, best group to date

Re: Big difference between accubond and ballistic tip??? - 05/16/18 08:42 PM

Good shootin!
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum