Texas Hunting Forum

REselling reloaded ammo

Posted By: ChrisG

REselling reloaded ammo - 04/16/18 05:32 PM

I recently purchased what I thought was unprimed brass with the intent to resell it. Well I pick up the boxes and they have been loaded. There is a sticker on the boxes with all of the reload info except the date. Am I allowed to resell this ammo? I have my reservations but also do not have the proper equipment to pull the bullets to sell the brass. What say you THF
Posted By: Cleric

Re: REselling reloaded ammo - 04/16/18 05:54 PM

Too much liability in selling imo...
Posted By: RiverRider

Re: REselling reloaded ammo - 04/16/18 06:14 PM

Buy an impact puller. It builds character and a tendency to double check stuff before seating bullets. Ask me how I know!
Posted By: ChrisG

Re: REselling reloaded ammo - 04/16/18 07:50 PM

This is what I am working with. Will the Lyman Magnum Inertia bullet puller be able to pull 100 bullets? Could I then possibly resell the bullets and the primed brass?

Posted By: Pig_Popper

Re: REselling reloaded ammo - 04/17/18 06:10 PM

The inertial puller can handle the load until the point that it breaks

My RCBS puller lasted through many hundred rounds and then broke so even though they advertise them to be impact resistant - physics wins.

You’ll still make a decent profit selling bullets and brass separate, may as well knock the primers out so you can legally ship using the post office...

Looks like you have an evening worth of work ahead of you - don’t forget to pay yourself ...
Posted By: jeffbird

Re: REselling reloaded ammo - 04/17/18 07:19 PM

A collet type puller is much safer and easier to use than the inertia type.

The collet type also will not dent the tips like an inertia puller.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/680804/rcbs-collet-bullet-puller

Also buy the actual collet for a 375.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/360037/rcbs-collet-bullet-puller-collet-37-caliber-375-diameter

You can sell it, but that is not a great idea. The brass is worth some money and effort.
Posted By: Teal28

Re: REselling reloaded ammo - 04/17/18 07:30 PM

Agree, don't sell it just pull them dump the powder and sell the brass and bullets. Bullets wont be worth much being pulled.
The brass is where the money is.

Re: REselling reloaded ammo - 04/17/18 11:25 PM

Originally Posted By: jeffbird

The collet type also will not dent the tips like an inertia puller.

That's an easy problem to deal with...just drop a foam earplug in the puller and you won't bang up exposed lead.

A collet type might be easier to work---I dunno, haven't used one. Every image I see of that type leaves me with the impression that they are a real PITA...but what bullet puller isn't?
Posted By: jeh7mmmag

Re: REselling reloaded ammo - 04/18/18 02:14 AM

This collect puller might work faster than the RCBS collet puller. Cam action versus turning threaded handle. I have the RCBS in a couple of caliber and it works fine.

https://www.hornady.com/reloading/presses/lock-n-load-accessories/bullet-pullers-bullet-collets#!/

Re: REselling reloaded ammo - 04/18/18 02:23 AM

Originally Posted By: jeh7mmmag
This collect puller might work faster than the RCBS collet puller. Cam action versus turning threaded handle. I have the RCBS in a couple of caliber and it works fine.

https://www.hornady.com/reloading/presses/lock-n-load-accessories/bullet-pullers-bullet-collets#!/

That one looks at least halfassed convenient, James. I'd forgotten about that one. I never tried it because I've been using a Forster Co-Ax for a while now, but I bought a spare RCBS off a good guy here on THF a while back. Oh, wait---what am I saying? I'm just going to make double-D sure I don't ever need a bullet puller again. Yeeaahhhh...that's the ticket!
nuts
Posted By: jeh7mmmag

Re: REselling reloaded ammo - 04/18/18 02:38 AM

Don't feel bad. Like I said I have the RCBS collet but last time I needed it I could not find the body half of it. Needed to pull some bullets ASAP and had to buy a RCBS inertia puller. The Alum jaw it came with failed shortly and had to use shell holder in place of alum jaws. bang Finally found some steel jaws. But I hate banging a live round on the concrete. bolt So I am also never going to make a mistake again, and have to pull bullets. loser8
Posted By: jeffbird

Re: REselling reloaded ammo - 04/18/18 03:27 AM

On forums I frequent, inertia pullers causing a round to go off have reported a couple of times through the years. That is reason I switched to the collet type. On the RCBS collet puller, the handle on top tightens the collet on the bullet. The handle on the press then drives the shell down while the collet holds the bullet in place. Ammo that has been loaded for a long time or has sealant can be require some significant force to remove the bullet. I tend to tap the handle rather than giving it a big whack all at once. There still is pressure being exerted on the base of a loaded round. Never heard of a detonation with the collet type, but prefer not to be the first either.
Posted By: DStroud

Re: REselling reloaded ammo - 04/18/18 03:51 AM

For what you are doing this would work very well

https://grip-n-pull.com
Posted By: Pig_Popper

Re: REselling reloaded ammo - 04/18/18 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by DStroud
For what you are doing this would work very well

https://grip-n-pull.com

Didn’t work for this guy

Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: REselling reloaded ammo - 04/19/18 03:21 AM

shoot them, he77
Posted By: Saddle Tramp

Re: REselling reloaded ammo - 04/20/18 01:09 PM

I have had the Hornady and the RCBS collet pullers. The Hornady broke but RCBS keeps on going. I also have the inertia puller. Although I have broken 2 of them they still work best to correct a few rounds. The ear plug in the hammer helps preserve the bullet.
Posted By: GasGuzzler

Re: REselling reloaded ammo - 04/22/18 09:56 AM

I pulled over 500 .38 Special with an inertia puller and it's been used on and off since without breakage. There are a few keys to using one properly. Wear gloves if you plan on pulling a bunch, you get blisters if not.
Posted By: Smokey Bear

Re: REselling reloaded ammo - 04/22/18 12:09 PM

I have the Hornady cam lock collet style bullet puller. I have not had to break down large quantities of ammo but it works well. Well worth the difference in cost from an inertia puller to me. It's quick and leaves the Bullets in good shape. It should blow through 100 rounds quick. I would not be willing to take on the liability of selling someone else's reloads.

Re: REselling reloaded ammo - 04/22/18 03:25 PM

The Hornady system is on sale at Midway right now. My old hammer type puller is retiring.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum