Texas Hunting Forum

6.5 Creedmoor Big Cat Load

Posted By: DStroud

6.5 Creedmoor Big Cat Load - 04/01/18 03:25 AM

Loaded a few rounds with the 156 gr Norma Oryx with Reloder 16 for a friend’s 6.5 Creedmoor.
It’s actually his wife’s and she has accounted for several deer,elk and aoudad this past season so she plans on taking it to Africa. Leopard is on the menu so I wanted to go heavy and tough even though had no issues with the 143 ELD-X.
The load shot great running 2700fps and printed a nice 3 shot group just under half inch after getting dialed in.
Got some pictures but still cannot post pics on this forum from IPad for some reason.
Anyone used the Norma Oryx ? I have some factory Oryx for my 7.5x55 Swiss but have not killed anything tough with them.
Posted By: jmm

Re: 6.5 Creedmoor Big Cat Load - 04/01/18 07:31 PM

Norma Oryx is plenty tough. A great bonded bullet suitable for heavy, tough game. I don't think a leopard is heavy or tough to kill. 150 lbs or so, maybe 175 for a big cat. Thin skinned. Good shot placement is key. Make a poor shot and the leopard suddenly becomes very tough and a scary follow up. Ask the PH what is favorite bullet for a cat is. They all have a favorite.
Posted By: scottfromdallas

Re: 6.5 Creedmoor Big Cat Load - 04/02/18 12:23 AM

160 Woodlegh would also be a good choice. I’ve used the 155 Lapua Mega and it’s a tuff non bonded bullet with a great mechanical lock but I would go bonded when going after a leopard with a 6.5.
Posted By: MClark

Re: 6.5 Creedmoor Big Cat Load - 04/02/18 04:33 AM

Make sure the 6.5 meets any caliber restrictions the country to be hunted may have.

M
Posted By: DStroud

Re: 6.5 Creedmoor Big Cat Load - 04/02/18 01:11 PM

Originally Posted By: MClark
Make sure the 6.5 meets any caliber restrictions the country to be hunted may have.

M

The PH gave his approval on the bullet and caliber prior to working up load.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum