Texas Hunting Forum

BUMPING THE SHOULDER

Posted By: DLALLDER

BUMPING THE SHOULDER - 02/08/18 10:11 PM

I have grown tired of guessing the amount of bumping the shoulder when sizing. How do the gurus do it and how do you measure the actual amount you have moved the shoulder? In the past I set die to touch the brass and then moved die in about 1/8 of a turn. Thanks
Posted By: jeffbird

Re: BUMPING THE SHOULDER - 02/08/18 10:26 PM

Here is all you need. Very well worth the cost.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/479704...with-comparator
Posted By: garyrapp55

Re: BUMPING THE SHOULDER - 02/08/18 10:45 PM

That is the kit I got and it works great. Measure a fired case then adjust your die to the desired amount. Usually .001-.003"
Posted By: ChadTRG42

Re: BUMPING THE SHOULDER - 02/08/18 11:00 PM

The Hornady kit is what I also use.

If you want to redneck engineer it, take a 40 S&W or 45 ACP case, and use that. I used one of these for a bit. Make sure the case mouth is perfectly round. Insert the case mouth of the rifle round into the case mouth of the 40 or 45 case. The pistol case mouth will sit on the shoulder of the rifle case. Take a few measurements of fired cases, which should all be the same. Then, size you brass in small increments until you get some shoulder movement. It works if you have a perfectly round pistol case.
Posted By: DLALLDER

Re: BUMPING THE SHOULDER - 02/09/18 12:52 AM

Chad, will the 40 or 45 case work on all cal. rifles?
Posted By: Deans

Re: BUMPING THE SHOULDER - 02/09/18 12:54 AM

I use Redding Competition shell holders and the Hornady comparator set.

Re: BUMPING THE SHOULDER - 02/09/18 01:12 AM

Originally Posted By: DLALLDER

Just about.
Posted By: kmon11

Re: BUMPING THE SHOULDER - 02/09/18 07:12 PM

Originally Posted By: ChadTRG42

Just about.

Those work for lots of cases. Some others I have used 9mm, 38 special and 32 H&R Mag. On the SAAMI web page you can find the datum point on the shoulder used for measuring head space. The cartridge will not match it exactly but I like to choose a cartridge case close to that that measurement value is. Remember we are looking for the difference between fired and resized so using a case will not match SAAMI but doesn't matter is we are looking to bump back the shoulder .002 or .004 inches
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: BUMPING THE SHOULDER - 02/09/18 08:05 PM

hey Chris, great to see you on the forum
Posted By: redchevy

Re: BUMPING THE SHOULDER - 02/09/18 08:28 PM

Originally Posted By: kmon1

Just about.

Those work for lots of cases. Some others I have used 9mm, 38 special and 32 H&R Mag. On the SAAMI web page you can find the datum point on the shoulder used for measuring head space. The cartridge will not match it exactly but I like to choose a cartridge case close to that that measurement value is. Remember we are looking for the difference between fired and resized so using a case will not match SAAMI but doesn't matter is we are looking to bump back the shoulder .002 or .004 inches

Thanks for sharing was about to ask about using 9mm.
Posted By: garyrapp55

Re: BUMPING THE SHOULDER - 02/09/18 08:42 PM

If you want to redneck engineer it, take a 40 S&W or 45 ACP case, and use that. I used one of these for a bit. Make sure the case mouth is perfectly round. Insert the case mouth of the rifle round into the case mouth of the 40 or 45 case. The pistol case mouth will sit on the shoulder of the rifle case. Take a few measurements of fired cases, which should all be the same. Then, size you brass in small increments until you get some shoulder movement. It works if you have a perfectly round pistol case.

Dang Chad, I didn't know your neck was that red! I redneck stuff too but that never even crossed my mind.
Posted By: J.G.

Re: BUMPING THE SHOULDER - 02/09/18 08:45 PM

Originally Posted By: garyrapp55

Dang Chad, I didn't know your neck was that red! I redneck stuff too but that never even crossed my mind.

Pffft, Chad is an old hand with bailing wire and duct tape.

Re: BUMPING THE SHOULDER - 02/09/18 08:58 PM

<<< MacGyver was my idol!
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum