Texas Hunting Forum

Barnes Tipped Tac-tx bullets

Posted By: Teal28

Barnes Tipped Tac-tx bullets - 02/04/18 02:17 AM

Anyone loaded any of these? Thinking of trying them out in my 45-70. Wondering how well they expand being a solid. Was thinking these or the Barnes triple shock HP

Posted By: BigDad

Re: Barnes Tipped Tac-tx bullets - 02/05/18 07:41 PM

I have not tried the tipped bullets but have tried Barnes 250 gr TSX in my Marlin 1895. It has a HUGE hollow point and is a hammer on game. Can you safely use the Barnes Tipped bullets in a tubular magazine?
Posted By: Texasteach

Re: Barnes Tipped Tac-tx bullets - 02/05/18 08:08 PM

Originally Posted By: BigDad
I have not tried the tipped bullets but have tried Barnes 250 gr TSX in my Marlin 1895. It has a HUGE hollow point and is a hammer on game. Can you safely use the Barnes Tipped bullets in a tubular magazine?

According to the Barnes' Tech Support, absolutely not, they are too hard.

Re: Barnes Tipped Tac-tx bullets - 02/05/18 08:22 PM

Originally Posted By: Texasteach

Thanks
Posted By: Navasot

Re: Barnes Tipped Tac-tx bullets - 02/05/18 08:23 PM

Id say maybe for the biggest toughest game... but a barnes in that bullet size is gona take a lot to expand...

I like them in everything under a .308

Re: Barnes Tipped Tac-tx bullets - 02/05/18 09:01 PM

Originally Posted By: Texasteach

after my post I started wondering the same thing. Checked with Barnes and they said not for tube mags. I thought they might be like the Leveroution ammo but they are not. Oh well back to the drawing board.

Re: Barnes Tipped Tac-tx bullets - 02/05/18 09:03 PM

Originally Posted By: Navasot
Id say maybe for the biggest toughest game... but a barnes in that bullet size is gona take a lot to expand...

that was the other question I had for Barnes. They said there is no problem expanding with 45-70 speeds. Bullet is designed for bolt gun or single shot like the Ruger #1.
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: Barnes Tipped Tac-tx bullets - 02/05/18 10:15 PM

Originally Posted By: Teal28

that was the other question I had for Barnes. They said there is no problem expanding with 45-70 speeds. Bullet is designed for bolt gun or single shot like the Ruger #1.

Wonder how they run in a .450 Bushmaster or .458 SOCOM

Re: Barnes Tipped Tac-tx bullets - 02/06/18 12:55 PM

Originally Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks
Originally Posted By: Teal28

Wonder how they run in a .450 Bushmaster or .458 SOCOM

I was specifically looking at the 400 gr bullets. Barnes book shows 300gr and 330gr for the Socom.
Speeds run 1600 to just over 1800FPS. I would assume expansion would be ok at these speeds but no experience.
I ask cause I have barnes fail to expand in 308 and in 3006. I know others have had issues as well.

Re: Barnes Tipped Tac-tx bullets - 02/06/18 02:09 PM

I'm getting 2,172 fps out of my 18" barrel Marlin 1895 using 250 gr TSX over 50.0 grains of IMR4198. I've shot a couple of 200 lbs+ boars with that load that were DRT and complete penetration. Accuracy is OK (1.75 MOA), not as good as the Hornady 300 JHP over 48.0 gr of IMR4198 (1.0 MOA). I've had trouble with the Hornadys penetrating so I went to the Barnes.
Posted By: Navasot

Re: Barnes Tipped Tac-tx bullets - 02/06/18 02:12 PM

Iv always liked the revalution ammo from Hornaday in lever guns... accuracy is second to none.. but both of them are high so i still end up going back to Rem Coreloks lol
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum