Texas Hunting Forum

Cast 9mm?

Posted By: redchevy

Cast 9mm? - 01/23/18 01:52 PM

Anyone load cast bullets for a 9mm? Anyone CC cast 9mm?

I like shooting cast in my revolvers but new to the auto world, what says the THF?
Posted By: RiverRider

Re: Cast 9mm? - 01/24/18 12:19 AM

I haven't loaded 9mm since about 25 years ago, but I'm sure you can buy cast bullets. Or you can cast your own if you're up to that.

Glock has said you shouldn't shoot lead bullets on their pistols with polygonal rifling...and I mention that because it seems you recently mentioned acquiring a Glock. I do know that some guys insist it's safe, but I would imagine that's predicated on knowing what to look for and how to avoid the issues, whatever they are. Never even owned a Glock myself, so I got nuthin there.

I've been using cast bullets in .40 S&W and .45 ACP for a long time and have had no unusual problems. One thing I always do when loading cast is to seat and crimp in separate steps. That eliminates those annoying little slivers of lead that appear right at the case mouth from lead being shaved during seating/crimping.

Curious about what you mean by "CC cast." Is that a typo or am I a little slower than usual this evening?

Re: Cast 9mm? - 01/24/18 03:07 AM

CC cast as in conceal carry cast ammo.

Thanks for the info reguarding glocks and cast ammo I will look into it and see what I can find.

Re: Cast 9mm? - 01/24/18 02:36 PM

From what I read glock says not to use cast ammo in their guns but many do, seems the importance it to use hard cast, keep an eye on it.

Since I don't cast my own, going to put a few calls in to the cast bullet companies I would consider and see what they have to say.

Re: Cast 9mm? - 01/24/18 07:02 PM

Have used Oregon trail laser cast bullets a bit before and was intending to use some in my glock, so I emailed them about this. They said they have used their bullets in glocks without issue but recommend using mild loads and slower burning powders. In the end only do it if you want to as the manufacturer does not recommend it.

They also offered you could replace the barrel with an aftermarket one and then shoot cast and not worry about it.
Posted By: ChadTRG42

Re: Cast 9mm? - 01/24/18 08:09 PM

Why would you want to carry a cast bullet as your carry ammo?

On the cast bullets and Glocks, yes, it can cause an issue. The polygonal rifling does not stabilize a cast bullet like a jacketed bullet does. If you use a heavy bullet for the caliber and shoot it in a Glock, the bullets can tumble. When I shot IDPA, there was a guy who loaded up a bunch of 40 cal ammo with a 180 grain cast bullet for his Glock. The bullets came out just fine, but the bullets were key-holing and tumbling on the cardboard targets. I ran the 135 grain cast, copper coated bullets in my Glock 35 40 cal for several years, and they worked well. And they were VERY accurate. But when you step up to the heavier cast, they lose stability.

But yes, you can find cast bullets for the 9mm (.355") easily. They are cheaper, but just make sure you visit with the bullet mfg to make sure they will work for your application.

Re: Cast 9mm? - 01/24/18 08:16 PM

Ive shot a lot of critters with cast bullets and been happy with them. As far as CC I'm more concerned about having the gun than what bullet is in it... and I have full faith in the killing power of cast bullets. I was planning to practice and carry cast but it seems like that plan is out for the moment. At some point I may replace the Glock barrel as they seem realatively inexpensive, but I may just stick with it and shoot jacketed bullets too. Got a box of hornady xtp's on the way from when I bought my hornady dies part of their get loaded promotion so I'm sure I will use those first. Have also found some pretty cost effective jacketed bullets that will only cost marginally more than the cast stuff I looked at.

I talked to a few manufactures they all said pretty much the same thing. Glock says no so we aren't going to say yes, but we and others have done it.
Posted By: 603Country

Re: Cast 9mm? - 01/24/18 08:17 PM

I have a big box of cast 115 gr 9mm bullets. Back when nothing was available, I found these. They shot just fine in my Beretta PX4, but now that I have restocked with jacketed bullets, the cast ones will sit.

I found no leading problems. I had to load em hot enough to cycle the action. Light loads didn’t work that well with the relatively light bullet.
Posted By: ChadTRG42

Re: Cast 9mm? - 01/24/18 08:27 PM

Originally Posted By: redchevy
As far as CC I'm more concerned about having the gun than what bullet is in it... and I have full faith in the killing power of cast bullets.

Cast bullets will act similar to an FMJ bullet. Yes, the cast bullets can flatten out some, but they certainly will not have the expansion capability of a good JHP. Bullets kill in 2 ways- speed and expansion. For a handgun bullet, a HP will expand to 1.5 to 2x diameter hitting more things as it goes by. And the expansion of the bullet causes a larger hydrostatic shock in soft tissue. So, by using an FMJ or a cast bullet that acts like an FMJ, you lose the effectiveness of the round.

I'm more concerned about the gun I have being as effective as possible. Having a cast bullet will certainly kill, but it is at a disadvantage compared to a good JHP bullet. Some of the recent improvements the 9mm has seen has been with better bullets. Shooting a cast bullet for CC takes it back to old school lead bullets that do not help the shooter. Just my 2cents

Re: Cast 9mm? - 01/24/18 08:39 PM

I wont cc fmj and for the time being wont cast, but I think cast would be plenty effective and I wouldn't have a problem with it.
Posted By: Tactical Cowboy

Re: Cast 9mm? - 01/25/18 12:49 AM

All I shoot out of my handguns are cast bullets. .45, .40, and 9mm all do just fine with it. The only bullets my glocks see are my cast and coated lead. No issues, ever.

I’m not going to say the glock barrels will never build up lead or degrade accuracy, but I have never experienced a problem.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum