Texas Hunting Forum

New high bc lineup from sierra

Posted By: dee

New high bc lineup from sierra - 01/11/18 05:11 PM

The 95gr 224 might get a try in the 22 creed. Others look really nice and the one's that are already out have lived up to bc claims. Granted these are pointed hp so not likely a good hunting bullet except for maybe varmints and pigs.
Posted By: J.G.

Re: New high bc lineup from sierra - 01/11/18 08:23 PM

I can't remember a better time for bullet choices. Hornady, Sierra, and Berger all keep one-upping each other. And we benefit from it!
Posted By: ChadTRG42

Re: New high bc lineup from sierra - 01/11/18 08:56 PM

Dee, where can I read on these? I'm searching for them with no info. Thanks!

Re: New high bc lineup from sierra - 01/11/18 09:11 PM

We're cooking up something!

Re: New high bc lineup from sierra - 01/11/18 09:27 PM

Originally Posted By: ChadTRG42
Dee, where can I read on these? I'm searching for them with no info. Thanks!

Not much info on the 95 or the new 30 cal heavies but the others have been out a while with the exception of the 150 6.5mm. A guy on fb was posting pics of recommendations on twist from Sierra that looked like a pdf of the bullet chart. Midway and a few other retailers list them as new release but sierra has nothing on their site.
Posted By: Cattleman

Re: New high bc lineup from sierra - 01/11/18 10:29 PM

Alright! Alright! Alright! I just got the bolt bushed in the ole Tikka 6.5x47 so I won't have anymore primer issues and thought I might give the 142 Matchkings a try but I may look at the 150's .

Re: New high bc lineup from sierra - 01/11/18 11:09 PM

Originally Posted By: Cattleman
Alright! Alright! Alright! I just got the bolt bushed in the ole Tikka 6.5x47 so I won't have anymore primer issues and thought I might give the 142 Matchkings a try but I may look at the 150's .

150's would be for something with more ppwder capacity than a 6.5X47 IMO. You can't drive them fast enough. I won't be trying them in a 6.5 Creedmoor.
Posted By: TackDriver

Re: New high bc lineup from sierra - 01/11/18 11:52 PM

Originally Posted By: Cattleman

Would you need a faster twist than a 1:8?
Posted By: Teal28

Re: New high bc lineup from sierra - 01/12/18 01:13 AM

Nothing on the web site.
Posted By: Stevarino

Re: New high bc lineup from sierra - 01/12/18 03:08 PM

Originally Posted By: dee
Granted these are pointed hp so not likely a good hunting bullet except for maybe varmints and pigs.

Not a new match king you’re referring to, but I’ll back your comment.
This is a Sierra 135 gr HP boat tail, 30 cal.. deer was shot at 125 yards quartering away.. ran 10 yards.. hit somthing vital but didn’t expand nor exit. Not my deer but a guy on the lease.. great accuracy, but not a good hunting round.

Posted By: redchevy

Re: New high bc lineup from sierra - 01/12/18 03:40 PM

That's depressing I need a few faster twist barrels.
Posted By: glocker17

Re: New high bc lineup from sierra - 01/13/18 05:05 AM

Stevarino-Thats why Sierra says not to hunt with them. Unreliable performance.

Re: New high bc lineup from sierra - 01/15/18 01:02 PM

Image of them out in the real world. Left to right is 95gr 224, 110gr 6mm, 150gr 6.5mm and 200gr 308.
Posted By: Korean Redneck

Re: New high bc lineup from sierra - 01/15/18 02:48 PM

Originally Posted By: FiremanJG
I can't remember a better time for bullet choices. Hornady, Sierra, and Berger all keep one-upping each other. And we benefit from it!

I try it too get political on here but...

Another go e example of the free market providing consumers better, cheaper products. Not because some one mandated it or subsidized it. It's because natural market forces work themselves out.

Idiots use the term "trickle down" economics like they know what it really means. It ain't scrounge mcduck deciding hand out coal. It's supply side economics. A greedy corporation wants to, out of great, create something better and never existed before simply to take market share. Not nefarious like keep poor people poor.

No baby "asked" Sierra to.improve their already popular and profitable product. The supplier merely did it to be competitive.

Re: New high bc lineup from sierra - 01/15/18 10:12 PM

Image of them out in the real world. Left to right is 95gr 224, 110gr 6mm, 150gr 6.5mm and 200gr 308.

Wonder if these will be like the VLD-H or Just target bullets? If Berger is who they are after the BC better be on and consistent
and offer a all in one hunting/target bullet.

Re: New high bc lineup from sierra - 01/15/18 10:58 PM

Originally Posted By: Teal28

Wonder if these will be like the VLD-H or Just target bullets? If Berger is who they are after the BC better be on and consistent

Bc on the ones out are rock solid and best most anyone else. These are after the target crowd as a pointed hp is not ideal for hunting. Below is a pic of a pointed rdf vs a berger hybrid. Notice the rdf looks almost fmjish not great for hunting.

Re: New high bc lineup from sierra - 01/15/18 11:52 PM

I don't know how good the SMK's are on game but according to a buddy of mine that was in the Marines they've killed more people than small pox. That according to him is what USMC ammunition is loaded with. I don't know.

Re: New high bc lineup from sierra - 01/16/18 12:24 AM

This is a note from Sierra on the Matchking bullets,,,

MatchKing Bullets: This is the classification for Sierra's pre-eminent target bullets. The driving motivation for the design of each MatchKing bullet is accuracy. These bullets have very thin jackets drawn to an exacting concentricity standard of 0.0003 in maximum variation, and their weight is held to within ± 0.3 grain. All MatchKing have a hollow point design with a very small meplat for high ballistic coefficient. The majority of these bullets have a boat tail shape to further minimize drag and improve ballistic coefficient. They are manufactured to the very highest quality standards. Their accuracy has been acclaimed worldwide, and they have been used to win more target competitions than all target bullets from other manufacturers combined. While they are recognized around the world for record-setting accuracy, MatchKing® and Tipped MatchKing® bullets are not recommended for most hunting applications.

Re: New high bc lineup from sierra - 01/16/18 12:47 AM

Almost all match bullets say do not hunt with.

Original mk have worked fine for me on pigs and yotes but I'd not try taking deer with them.

Re: New high bc lineup from sierra - 01/16/18 12:51 AM

Original mk have worked fine for me on pigs and yotes but I'd not try taking deer with them.

For hogs, a shot in the ear would do with a Matchking, but what if you see a 12 point buck? grin

Re: New high bc lineup from sierra - 01/16/18 01:22 AM

I'd shoot that 12 point buck in the neck just like every other deer I shoot and break his neck.

Re: New high bc lineup from sierra - 01/16/18 01:49 AM

Originally Posted By: TackDriver

For hogs, a shot in the ear would do with a Matchking, but what if you see a 12 point buck? grin

Your asking the wrong guy. I've used "match" bullets the last 7yrs with zero issues.

Re: New high bc lineup from sierra - 01/16/18 02:20 AM

Cool dee

Re: New high bc lineup from sierra - 01/16/18 02:25 AM

Your asking the wrong guy. I've used "match" bullets the last 7yrs with zero issues.

7mm 162 A-Max peep
Posted By: snarkscarbine

Re: New high bc lineup from sierra - 01/16/18 04:05 AM

Originally Posted By: redchevy
That's depressing I need a few faster twist barrels.

I can help with that.

I've been shooting the 110s in my dasher. VERY promising.

Re: New high bc lineup from sierra - 01/16/18 12:14 PM

Originally Posted By: FiremanJG

7mm 162 A-Max peep

And Eld-M, SMK, Berger Hybrid and Berger Target VLD.

Re: New high bc lineup from sierra - 01/16/18 12:37 PM

Originally Posted By: Teal28

Bc on the ones out are rock solid and best most anyone else. These are after the target crowd as a pointed hp is not ideal for hunting. Below is a pic of a pointed rdf vs a berger hybrid. Notice the rdf looks almost fmjish not great for hunting.

I'm with Dee on the difference in the tip and target vs hunting but I don't see where Sierra says that about these new bullets.
I cant find any info on them and other than pictures theres no real info in this thread.
I'm just hoping and guessing. up
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: New high bc lineup from sierra - 01/16/18 03:47 PM

so, why a 150 6.5?? you think a 140 would sell better given all the Creedmoor shooters

Re: New high bc lineup from sierra - 01/16/18 04:37 PM

Saum or prc even 6.5x284. They are afterthe f-class and long br guys.

Re: New high bc lineup from sierra - 01/16/18 05:34 PM

Originally Posted By: Buzzsaw
so, why a 150 6.5?? you think a 140 would sell better given all the Creedmoor shooters

They alredy make a 140 and 142 SMK for 6.5 Creedmoor.

150 would be for something with more fuel behind it, IMO.

Re: New high bc lineup from sierra - 01/16/18 06:23 PM

I meant the new High BC line??

that 150 will scream in a 6.5 Nosler, 6.5X.284

Re: New high bc lineup from sierra - 01/16/18 07:06 PM

You're not making sense.
Posted By: Judd

Re: New high bc lineup from sierra - 01/16/18 07:22 PM

Well at least he's answering his own questions nuts

I have thought about shelling my x47 build for a 6.5x284 build for that 150g...I just can't pull the trigger. I've seen how good the x47 is even if I had a bad one.
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: New high bc lineup from sierra - 01/16/18 08:31 PM

Originally Posted By: Judd

I have thought about shelling my x47 build for a 6.5x284 build for that 150g...I just can't pull the trigger. I've seen how good the x47 is even if I had a bad one.

Why not just go PRC? Doesn't it fit in a short action? Being new and backed by Hornady, it will likely be around for a while and components should be easy to get.

Re: New high bc lineup from sierra - 01/16/18 09:06 PM

I thought the Matchkings were a regular target bullet not the VLD type High BC, guess I'm confused

again hammer

Re: New high bc lineup from sierra - 01/16/18 09:14 PM

"VLD" is made by Berger bullets.

"Match Kings" are made by Sierra bullets.

"ELD" is made by Hornady bullets.
"Silverado" is made by Chevrolet.

"F-150" is made by Ford.

grin

Re: New high bc lineup from sierra - 01/17/18 01:06 AM

Originally Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Why not just go PRC? Doesn't it fit in a short action? Being new and backed by Hornady, it will likely be around for a while and components should be easy to get.

Magnum bolt face is the main reason and the 2nd reason is I bet it won't be as accurate. wink

That particular action is a Panda Fclass single shot so the long/short never plays into the decision. I know I'm the wild child or dumb [censored] around here grin
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: New high bc lineup from sierra - 01/17/18 03:06 AM

Originally Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Magnum bolt face is the main reason and the 2nd reason is I bet it won't be as accurate. wink

That particular action is a Panda Fclass single shot so the long/short never plays into the decision. I know I'm the wild child or dumb [censored] around here grin

If you’re talking single shot than by all means go 6.5-284 or even just .284

Re: New high bc lineup from sierra - 01/17/18 03:19 AM

Already have a straight 284 wink
Posted By: blackcoal

Re: New high bc lineup from sierra - 01/17/18 08:18 PM

!

Re: New high bc lineup from sierra - 01/19/18 01:07 PM

6.5 twist or faster recommended on the 95gr 224.

Re: New high bc lineup from sierra - 01/19/18 01:16 PM

eek2
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum