Texas Hunting Forum

So, I was watching this video...

Posted By: Bbear

So, I was watching this video... - 01/08/18 02:17 AM

And Scott Satterlee was explaining his process for finding a load for his rifle in only 10 shots. Seems it's a variation of the OCW.

http://www.65guys.com/10-round-load-development-ladder-test/

I have a known load for my 308 so I loaded up 10 rounds per his instructions and shot them. Mixed in there was my load. Sure enough, my load was right in the middle of what he was talking about.

Now to try it with an unknown one and see how it goes.

Thoughts? Comments?
Posted By: Sneaky

Re: So, I was watching this video... - 01/08/18 02:44 AM

This is something I’ve always suspected, from what I’ve read and seen. I just never had the experience and confidence to put it together and try it. It makes sense to me.

When I get my STW all lined out, I’m going to try it, now that I have step by step approach to take. Thanks for posting that.
Posted By: J.G.

Re: So, I was watching this video... - 01/08/18 03:02 AM

Every time I've shot a ladder test, it has given me solid data. But I don't look at velocities, I look at where they print, on paper.
Posted By: Cleric

Re: So, I was watching this video... - 01/08/18 03:05 AM

Originally Posted By: FiremanJG
Every time I've shot a ladder test, it has given me solid data. But I don't look at velocities, I look at where they print, on paper.

Wouldn’t the height difference be driven by the velocity difference? Or is something else effecting the bullet
Posted By: joshf303

Re: So, I was watching this video... - 01/08/18 03:07 AM

Pretty much the method I've used for 5-6 years after switching from the OCW or Audette ladder routine. Only difference from Scott's is I'll run 1/2gr increments instead of 2/10s to find my initial nodes and pressure. More times than not there is a pretty good node to operate in 1-1.5grs under max pressure. I'll split that 1/2gr increment and run 5 over the chrono to see where my ES/SD is. If I like the numbers, I'll load up 15-20 and run out to distance to make sure it's gonna hang.

Re: So, I was watching this video... - 01/08/18 03:13 AM

Originally Posted By: Cleric

Wouldn’t the height difference be driven by the velocity difference? Or is something else effecting the bullet

Higher POI is correlated to velocity, so you are correct.

Reason I don't worry about the chronograph is that I don't have one I trust 100%. But I do have 800 yards. I can work the corrections backwards and find velocity. That is, after I decide upon, and reproduce a specific powder charge.
Posted By: Eyesofahunter

Re: So, I was watching this video... - 01/08/18 03:13 AM

Look for flat spot either in velocity or on paper, both work.
Posted By: Sneaky

Re: So, I was watching this video... - 01/08/18 03:27 AM

Originally Posted By: joshf303
Pretty much the method I've used for 5-6 years after switching from the OCW or Audette ladder routine. Only difference from Scott's is I'll run 1/2gr increments instead of 2/10s to find my initial nodes and pressure. More times than not there is a pretty good node to operate in 1-1.5grs under max pressure. I'll split that 1/2gr increment and run 5 over the chrono to see where my ES/SD is. If I like the numbers, I'll load up 15-20 and run out to distance to make sure it's gonna hang.

I checked my notes from my initial velocity readings, at .5 grain increments, to find max pressure. I found a flat spot at a velocity I like, and I’m starting there, with .2 grain increments above, below, and through that charge range.

Re: So, I was watching this video... - 01/08/18 03:37 AM

Reason I don't worry about the chronograph is that I don't have one I trust 100%. But I do have 800 yards. I can work the corrections backwards and find velocity. That is, after I decide upon, and reproduce a specific powder charge.

Yeah makes sense you have 800 yard range

But if you have a good chrono like Labradar and 100-200 yard may be worth a try

Re: So, I was watching this video... - 01/08/18 03:50 AM

I'm not saying otherwise. Just haven't really wanted to spend on a LabRadar enough to do it. That land payment would have bought lots of chronographs by now. sick

Re: So, I was watching this video... - 01/08/18 04:06 AM

I'm not saying otherwise. Just haven't really wanted to spend on a LabRadar enough to do it. That land payment would have bought lots of chronographs by now. sick

It’s not just the payment...all the other stuff add up as well...
Posted By: Eyesofahunter

Re: So, I was watching this video... - 01/08/18 04:48 AM

Higher MV does not result in higher POI all the time.
Posted By: TackDriver

Re: So, I was watching this video... - 01/08/18 05:14 AM

Originally Posted By: Eyesofahunter

Higher MV does not result in higher POI all the time.

That is true, I have seen higher charges take a little dip on the paper.

Re: So, I was watching this video... - 01/08/18 12:10 PM

True. As a general rule, faster equals higher. But that is not 100% of the shots.
Posted By: Bbear

Re: So, I was watching this video... - 01/08/18 04:51 PM

Fireman, that's sort of why this idea intrigued me. I thought I would 'test' it using a known accurate load and my magnetospeed. I only had a 100 yard range to work with yesterday but,I did look at the group when done. The group was 10 rounds with a 1" vertical and about 3" horizontal. 30 mph winds might have had some effect on the horizontal though not much.
It was interesting to watch the velocity creep up using .3 gr difference in loads. The 'flat' spot was rather obvious. With my proven load right in the middle of the flat spot.
I did load 2 of each load, just in case the MS missed a shot. I'll probably do this again for a 30-06 I've had sitting in the safe and see what I see.
Posted By: dee

Re: So, I was watching this video... - 01/08/18 05:29 PM

I've done load development like this and it worked. Some calibers it's harder to see the node with though.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum