Texas Hunting Forum

Hand primer

Posted By: BassCat'99

Hand primer - 12/17/17 03:50 AM

I've been using my Dillon RL550b press for priming but it's a bit of a pain to set up just to prime. Thinking about the Lee hand held. It's supposed to be some redesign and improvements. Midway shows for $20.99, is that a fair price? Any thoughts on this or a better method?
Posted By: Murphscout

Re: Hand primer - 12/17/17 04:16 AM

I have gone to all hand priming and not on my progressive. Makes a huge difference for me. I have the RCBS Universal. Its about 60 bucks but I have had nothing but excellent results. Now I just process all brass to completion before I start cranking.

Re: Hand primer - 12/17/17 04:28 AM

I'm only using my Dillon for 9mm, 45ACP and .223 practice ammo. All the rest, .223, 22-250, 22 Creedmoor, .243, 6.5 Creedmoor and .308 are done on my Forster Co-ax. I just saw a Lee Auto prime bench mount, it any good?
Posted By: Murphscout

Re: Hand primer - 12/17/17 04:41 AM

No experience with the Lee. I'm no help there. Someone here should know.
Posted By: Judd

Re: Hand primer - 12/17/17 04:35 PM

The Lee Auto Prime was suggested to me by one of the old timers I shot against. I bought the one with the square primer tray. Recently I found the new one that the tray folds in half on sale somewhere and bought it so I could have a small and large tray on and not be swapping them. I like the square one better than the fold. It's easier to load and the ergonomics are better for my hand.

Also, that is the only Lee piece of equipment I own, generally speaking their stuff is cheaper made and don't last...their customer service isn't as good as other either.
Posted By: RiverRider

Re: Hand primer - 12/17/17 04:47 PM

I feel the same way about Lee products with the exception of their collet neck sizers. I do not believe you can get a better neck sizing job from anything else on the market.

I prefer the RCBS hand priming tools to the Lee versions for several reasons: RCBS uses better materials and has a reputation for superior customer service, the Lee tool uses the thumb and the RCBS tool uses the entire hand so it won't fatigue you, and the RCBS tool has a device that separates the tray of live primers from the primer being seated in the primer pocket. So, it's a safer, easier to use, and better made tool. It costs more, but it's worth it IMO.
Posted By: J.G.

Re: Hand primer - 12/17/17 08:45 PM

RCBS hand primer is what I use.

It's probably primed over 10,000 pieces of brass by now. It still runs like it did right out of the box. As Riverrider said, it uses the entire hand. I like that, especially with a Fed 210 in brand new Lapua or Nosler brass. It is tight, but the tool can get it done.
Posted By: DStroud

Re: Hand primer - 12/17/17 09:06 PM

I use the Older Lee primers with the round trays..... the two square trays broke immediately so I gave up on them. I have collected about 6 of them with various extra parts and just keep fixing them.... one that still works I bought in 1979 eek2
Posted By: M16

Re: Hand primer - 12/18/17 01:49 PM

Originally Posted By: DStroud
I use the Older Lee primers with the round trays..... the two square trays broke immediately so I gave up on them. I have collected about 6 of them with various extra parts and just keep fixing them.... one that still works I bought in 1979 eek2

That's what I use the most. You can find some of the old Lee round tray ones every once and a while. I've got a lifetime supply stashed away. The pivot will eventually break on the these if you don't grease them. I have Hornady hand primer and it works fairly well also.
Posted By: cabosandinh

Re: Hand primer - 12/18/17 02:47 PM

if you like quality and smoothness, look at the Sinclair hand primer

I have 2 that I really enjoy using
Posted By: soooo

Re: Hand primer - 12/18/17 05:37 PM

Originally Posted By: M16
Originally Posted By: DStroud

That's what I use the most. You can find some of the old Lee round tray ones every once and a while. I've got a lifetime supply stashed away. The pivot will eventually break on the these if you don't grease them. I have Hornady hand primer and it works fairly well also.

Lube the pivot with petroleum jelly and it will last longer.
Posted By: Smokey Bear

Re: Hand primer - 12/19/17 03:56 AM

I have the Hornady and RCBS. They are both good. I use the Hornady the most but it is the one I have had the longest and developed the most "feel" with. Either one will do exactly what I want. The downside to the Hornady is to the best of my knowledge, it only works with Hornady shell holders.
Posted By: Twmaster

Re: Hand primer - 12/19/17 04:40 PM

I've been using the RCBS hand primer tools after using the Lee tool. No comparison at all. The RCBs wins. I have both the "universal" and standard hand primer (one requires a shell holder the "universal" doesn't)

I have both because the universal will not prime 5.7FN, 25ACP and can be finicky with 223 brass.

I figure mine have thousands of rounds primed. I like the tool well enough I found one in Cabela's bargain cave last week at 20% off and snapped it up. This way I also get a spare primer tray.

My only complaint with the RCBS tool is the plastic guide that holds the tray get s sloppy with age. However RCBS is tops in customer service and has sent me replacement guides just for asking.

Re: Hand primer - 12/19/17 06:05 PM

It's a PITA to switch the RCBS tool from large to small primers, so I bought another one. That's about the only downside there is to the RCBS tool I can come up with.

Re: Hand primer - 12/19/17 06:28 PM

Originally Posted By: RiverRider
It's a PITA to switch the RCBS tool from large to small primers, so I bought another one. That's about the only downside there is to the RCBS tool I can come up with.

That's why I also have two primer tools. smile

Re: Hand primer - 12/20/17 01:04 PM

On the RCBS primer tool would shell holder #10 also work with the Creedmoor brass? I think it should but want to know from users.

Re: Hand primer - 12/21/17 02:23 AM

The RCBS tool we've been talking about does not use shell holders.

Re: Hand primer - 12/21/17 11:34 AM

So that would be the universal, I was thinking about the other. Got ya, thanks

Re: Hand primer - 12/21/17 08:00 PM

Originally Posted By: RiverRider
The RCBS tool we've been talking about does not use shell holders.

I have one of those also. I like it. But, It will not do small cases like 32acp, 25acp and 5.7FN.
Posted By: TexasUplander

Re: Hand primer - 12/22/17 12:38 AM

i LOVED the old lee hand primers before the redesign. problem was, i was breaking handles left and right using the slightly oversized wolf primers. i now use an rcbs bench mounted priming tool and like it much better than the rcbs hand priming tool. however, if i could get a life time supply of the old lee hand primers, thats all i would use!
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum