Texas Hunting Forum

"re-seating" factory ammo

Posted By: Olshovel

"re-seating" factory ammo - 11/05/17 08:13 PM

Has anybody here ever siet up your dies to reseat a box of factory ammo so that all of the rounds have the same overall length? I have not started reloading yet, just reading a lot about it now and wondered if the factory ammo would be more consistent if they were all the same length. The box of Winchester Deer Season XP i got for my 3006 have some variation in lengths, especially when compared to a box off Sig Match ammo that I have for my 308. Would it be worth the trouble?
Posted By: DStroud

Re: "re-seating" factory ammo - 11/05/17 08:48 PM

How are you measuring would be the first question that comes to mind. If you are checking from base of case to bullet tip variance is to be expected.
But to answer your question highly doubtful it would help IMO
Posted By: Olshovel

Re: "re-seating" factory ammo - 11/05/17 08:56 PM

I was checking from base to tip, I started checking because I could see differences in how much of the cannelure was showing.
Posted By: earl39

Re: "re-seating" factory ammo - 11/05/17 10:19 PM

Reseating factory ammunition that has a crimp can cause all kinds of problems including but not limited to bulged case or crushed shoulder.
Posted By: DStroud

Re: "re-seating" factory ammo - 11/06/17 12:32 AM

Originally Posted By: Olshovel
I was checking from base to tip, I started checking because I could see differences in how much of the cannelure was showing.

That’s just as likely due to variance in Brass length as seating depth.
Posted By: RiverRider

Re: "re-seating" factory ammo - 11/06/17 02:13 AM

Originally Posted By: DStroud

Had to laugh...funny, but sad too. Factory ammo can be like a box of chocolates.

The way to tell would be to use a caliper with a comparator.
Posted By: J.G.

Re: "re-seating" factory ammo - 11/06/17 02:17 AM

Originally Posted By: RiverRider
Originally Posted By: DStroud

Had to laugh...funny, but sad too. Factory ammo can be like a box of chocolates.

The way to tell would be to use a caliper with a comparator.

Yup.

Going to the tip will give a variation in lengths, even if you were measuring bullets all by themselves.
Posted By: ChadTRG42

Re: "re-seating" factory ammo - 11/06/17 12:35 PM

No, it won't help. Trust me, the variation in case length is nothing compared to what's inside!!!

Measuring the length tells you nothing, since bullets alone will vary in length, especially a lead soft point or HP. If the canelure is showing, and you can see a variation on that, that could be a difference in brass length.

Or most likely, It's the low cost of the rounds you are shooting.

If you want something match grade, let me know. I know a guy who does this.
Posted By: J.G.

Re: "re-seating" factory ammo - 11/06/17 01:37 PM

Originally Posted By: ChadTRG42
If you want something match grade, let me know. I know a guy who does this.

Yeah, Judd and I are pretty badazz.

peep
Posted By: ChadTRG42

Re: "re-seating" factory ammo - 11/06/17 01:56 PM

LOL!!
Posted By: redchevy

Re: "re-seating" factory ammo - 11/06/17 04:18 PM

Its a wonder factory ammo even shoots at all isn't it rolleyes

amazing how many people shoot it with no problems what so ever. Sometimes I think we need to realize the people shooting the legal around here definition of long range are the exception and very far from the rule.
Posted By: RiverRider

Re: "re-seating" factory ammo - 11/06/17 04:35 PM

I've seen differences in cannelure location on bullets from the same box.
Posted By: Busheler

Re: "re-seating" factory ammo - 11/11/17 06:14 PM

Uniform neck tension never hurts,nor does a uniform relationship with the throat. Pulling/reseating Factory Fodder,will reliably increase accuracy and reduce ES/SD. Doubly so,when COAL latitude allows a Smooch.

Mexican Match is obviously an oft used ploy,to bolster issued performance.

Hint...............
Posted By: fast88

Re: "re-seating" factory ammo - 11/19/17 01:15 PM

Originally Posted By: ChadTRG42
No, it won't help. Trust me, the variation in case length is nothing compared to what's inside!!! .

I bought some Nosler Trophy grade factory Ammo for a 280 ai and took measurements. The powder charge was off by 2plus grains between the twenty I measured with only two rounds being the same. The overall length, measured to the ogive, was off by .09 but brass was super consistent.
Posted By: Sniper John

Re: "re-seating" factory ammo - 11/19/17 03:18 PM

I have several older foreign military rifles. I have often taken surplus ammo, pulled bullets and dumped the powder into a container, then came up with a new load using the original powder and with new hunting bullets. I would weigh and sort the new bullets, but I have done the same with the original pulled bullets as well. My final load would not be match grade of course, but it does give me a very inexpensive ammo for general hunting and for fun target shooting that is more accurate than most factory ammo. I don't see why the same could not be done to improve a bad batch of factory ammo.
Posted By: blackcoal

Re: "re-seating" factory ammo - 11/19/17 04:42 PM

!
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum