Texas Hunting Forum

6mm Creed Load Recommendations

Posted By: Big Fitz

6mm Creed Load Recommendations - 10/19/17 02:34 PM

Getting set up to load for the new 6 Creed and could use some recommendations from the THF brain-trust. The plan is:

- Lapua 6.5 Creed brass
- Whidden dies, what size bushing is recommended since I'm sizing down 6.5 brass?
- Do I need to turn necks since I'm sizing down 6.5 brass? I recall Chad really likes this process. grin
- Berger 105 gr hybrids
- H4831SC, any pet loads to share?
- Not sure what small rifle primers I have on hand but thinking CCI (br?)

Any other thoughts or recommendations?
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: 6mm Creed Load Recommendations - 10/19/17 02:45 PM

You are the first or maybe DSTROUD.

Look over on ACCURATESHOOTER.COM

Tons for info on the 6mm Creed

Are bushing dies REALLY needed on any round???

Turning necks is for the anal, who have a ton of extra time on their hands. Hell, even I wont do it. and look at the time I have.

Lapua is so good right outda box, run them through your sizer just enough to make necks round, prime and load. Get a carbide sizer ring for your FL die, they are greatness.

Cant you buy 6mm Creed brass????????????????? you've spent $10K already what's another $115 on brass?????

4831SC is heaven sent as is Varget

and I have no idea what I'm talking about.......I need to go turn some neck's bolt
Posted By: dee

Re: 6mm Creed Load Recommendations - 10/19/17 02:46 PM

I'll look in a bit but most don't really change bushing when running the lapua vs nking h down or running hornady brass. I've only heard of br guys nk turing on the creed.

Primers are primers imo. I have tested on a couple different rounds and saw no deviation in extreme spread or standard deviation.

I've never ran 4831. Mine had h4350 then 4451 and now reloader 23.

Berger are solid just check if getting a new box or going between the boxes as there were some batches that varried a bit in the past.
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: 6mm Creed Load Recommendations - 10/19/17 02:48 PM

https://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/product/productId/70434

I know its hornady but WTH???
Posted By: ChadTRG42

Re: 6mm Creed Load Recommendations - 10/19/17 02:58 PM

Tim,

Your components are looking good. The bushing size depends on the thickness of the Lapua brass, which I have not measured to know what size you would need. 4831 will work fine. Hodgdon has some data on their site, and would be a good starting point. Their data shows right at 3000 -3050 fps, which is about right. I've seen 3100 fps, and even 3150, which is getting up there. Primer wise, I run CCI #450's. I'm not sure if the BR-2 primers are standard or magnum rated. I run the magnum #450 in my 6.5x47 Lapua, with very low ES numbers. I like your rifle, BTW!!
Posted By: J.G.

Re: 6mm Creed Load Recommendations - 10/19/17 04:34 PM

Why would you not run 115's?

If it were my project, I would investigate IMR 4451.

Re: 6mm Creed Load Recommendations - 10/19/17 05:21 PM

Originally Posted By: FiremanJG

New DTAC's are bad to the bone. If twisted right the sierra 110's are legit. If not the Nosler RDF are solid too.

Re: 6mm Creed Load Recommendations - 10/19/17 07:21 PM

Originally Posted By: dee

New DTAC's are bad to the bone. If twisted right the sierra 110's are legit. If not the Nosler RDF are solid too.

Yup.

If you're gonna run a 6mm, run it right.
Posted By: DStroud

Re: 6mm Creed Load Recommendations - 10/20/17 02:04 AM

Top three powders I have used so far H 4350/ Reloder 16/ Reloder 26
Reloder 26 is the champ for pure velocity I got above 3200 with 105’s with no excessive pressure but settled in at 3180fps. Last batch I loaded was with Reloder 16 and the 108ELD’s.

Based on my experience sizing down the Creedmoor Lapua brass to 22 caliber I would say no need to neck turn unless you just want too.

Re: 6mm Creed Load Recommendations - 10/20/17 03:46 PM

Thanks all. I already bought the Bergers some time ago and had not even looked at the 115 DTACs. It's a 7.5 twist barrel so would think 115s would work. I also previously purchased 16 lbs of the H4831SC as it was the top recommendation for the 6mm SLR (original plan) but then decided to go 6mm Creedmoor. I thought the case capacity was very close so assumed it would a good choice.

Re: 6mm Creed Load Recommendations - 10/20/17 04:58 PM

Sell all that stuff, and buy the right stuff. peep

Re: 6mm Creed Load Recommendations - 10/20/17 11:49 PM

You have already cost me a small fortune with FFP mil-mil scope recommendations. bang

Re: 6mm Creed Load Recommendations - 10/21/17 12:36 AM

Originally Posted By: Big Fitz

You have already cost me a small fortune with FFP mil-mil scope recommendations. bang

So, evidently you're a slow learner. Call me before committing to a bunch of the wrong things. grin

Re: 6mm Creed Load Recommendations - 10/21/17 06:49 PM

So, evidently you're a slow learner. Call me before committing to a bunch of the wrong things. grin

I'm slow but precise! DTACs were not available when I stocked up. Now you, on the other hand, are a Firearms Democrat that likes to spend other people's money! lol35

Re: 6mm Creed Load Recommendations - 10/21/17 07:03 PM

I'm just a consultant. grin
Posted By: Judd

Re: 6mm Creed Load Recommendations - 10/21/17 08:42 PM

I ain’t shooting Dtac’s if Fireman buys them for me.

110 match kings maybe but Berger’s just work...don’t under estimate how good those hybrids are, not a single reason to change from them.

Re: 6mm Creed Load Recommendations - 10/21/17 09:08 PM

Originally Posted By: Judd
I ain’t shooting Dtac’s if Fireman buys them for me.

Tubb hater.

Re: 6mm Creed Load Recommendations - 10/22/17 02:01 AM

I'm just a democrat. grin

FIFY bolt

Re: 6mm Creed Load Recommendations - 10/22/17 03:01 AM

rofl

Re: 6mm Creed Load Recommendations - 10/22/17 01:05 PM

I'm just a democrat. grin

FIFY bolt

Them's fightin words.

Re: 6mm Creed Load Recommendations - 10/24/17 10:39 PM

Dtacs are legit awesome. Just wait and buy 2k when in stock and boom you're vood for a barrel. They will even run in a 1:8 if you choose. 110 are bad a%× too but can be testy. If they run they are however tough to beat.
Posted By: TackDriver

Re: 6mm Creed Load Recommendations - 10/24/17 11:18 PM

Dtacs are legit awesome. Just wait and buy 2k when in stock and boom you're vood for a barrel. They will even run in a 1:8 if you choose. 110 are bad a%× too but can be testy. If they run they are however tough to beat.

Will the DTAC's run good in a 6mm Benchrest with a 1:8 twist or should I get the 1:7? I have an old Rem. 700 6mm BR laying around. A new barrel on it will do in the future
Posted By: RiverRider

Re: 6mm Creed Load Recommendations - 10/25/17 12:55 AM

and boom you're vood for a barrel.

I can understand having a strong desire to own a certain barrel, but being vood for one? I can be vood for a few different rifles I know...and maybe a Vette or a Viper, and some of the glamour babes we all admire. But vood for a barrel?

Re: 6mm Creed Load Recommendations - 10/25/17 01:43 AM

Originally Posted By: TackDriver

Will the DTAC's run good in a 6mm Benchrest with a 1:8 twist or should I get the 1:7? I have an old Rem. 700 6mm BR laying around. A new barrel on it will do in the future

Not likely as the br won't generate the speed needed. A good test would be on the berger twist rate stability calculator.

Re: 6mm Creed Load Recommendations - 10/25/17 01:44 AM

Originally Posted By: RiverRider
and boom you're vood for a barrel.

I can understand having a strong desire to own a certain barrel, but being vood for one? I can be vood for a few different rifles I know...and maybe a Vette or a Viper, and some of the glamour babes we all admire. But vood for a barrel?

Lol. "Boom" I might have fat finger the screen a touch on that reply.

Re: 6mm Creed Load Recommendations - 10/25/17 02:08 AM

It'd make a good sig line but too much of an inside joke. I think you've coined a phrase, though!

Re: 6mm Creed Load Recommendations - 10/25/17 11:40 AM

Originally Posted By: RiverRider
It'd make a good sig line but too much of an inside joke. I think you've coined a phrase, though!

Aren't most sig lines inside jokes anyway lol.

Re: 6mm Creed Load Recommendations - 10/25/17 12:13 PM

I suppose they are, but some are easier to grasp than others.

I am vood for ze clever sig line!

Re: 6mm Creed Load Recommendations - 10/25/17 01:52 PM

Not likely as the br won't generate the speed needed. A good test would be on the berger twist rate stability calculator.

I agree, if your ran an improved br you could see some advantages but there isn't a reason. The dtacs aren't magic and the 110 smk or the 105 hybrid are just as good of bullets and you aren't making Tubb money.

I've never met the man, but I've heard enough stories...I also live by the where there is smoke there is fire and that guy always has smoke around him. No thanks.
Posted By: TackDriver

Re: 6mm Creed Load Recommendations - 10/25/17 01:54 PM

Originally Posted By: Judd

I agree, if your ran an improved br you could see some advantages but there isn't a reason. The dtacs aren't magic and the 110 smk or the 105 hybrid are just as good of bullets and you aren't making Tubb money.

I've never met the man, but I've heard enough stories...I also live by the where there is smoke there is fire and that guy always has smoke around him. No thanks.

Thanks for the heads up dee and Judd.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum