Texas Hunting Forum

I know when I'm beat

Posted By: Smokey Bear

I know when I'm beat - 09/16/17 03:35 AM

After four unsuccessful attempts to work up a load for the 140 partitions in my rem mag, I swapped a buddy for three boxes of 140 accubonds. I hunt MLD and we get kicked off in a couple weeks. Headed to the range in the morning. Setting up the chrono and doing some shooting to determine which of three loads I worked up this summer I will be shooting this season, then dial things in. After all the time I spent beating my head against the wall with the partitions, it should be a good day, deciding among two accubonds loads and a gameking load that actually shoot.

Posted By: kmon11

Re: I know when I'm beat - 09/16/17 04:09 AM

Looks good, any of those will work
Posted By: TackDriver

Re: I know when I'm beat - 09/16/17 12:36 PM

It's ready to hunt. clap
Posted By: Jgraider

Re: I know when I'm beat - 09/16/17 02:12 PM

As big of a partition fan as I am, I will say you will lose little to nothing in performance by going to the Accubonds. They are a fantastic hunting bullet. I'll be curious as to what the chrono says on those 140 loads. Good luck!
Posted By: RiverRider

Re: I know when I'm beat - 09/16/17 04:05 PM

OUTstanding...I think that'll work!

It's weird how we sometimes seem to hit the wall with certain components. Over the years I have had a much easier time getting Partitions to shoot than Accubonds, but I do use two loads with Accubonds that work nicely. I guess it's just a hit-and-miss proposition when it comes to combinations of primer, powder, and bullet. Maybe the way we approach seating depth, also.

I've even had issues with a certain cartridge: the .243 Winchester. I've owned six or more rifles (Mossberg, a Vanguard, a 70 Featherweight, a Sako Forester, a Kimber 84M, and a Remington 798 are the ones I recall) chambered in that cartridge, and was NEVER satisfied with the accuracy I was getting with handloads. I finally gave up on it, moved to the 6mm-284, and presto: sub-MOA loads abound. Same story with 6mm Remington. Surely not all six (or more) of those rifles were turds! For some damned reason the .243 just won't shoot for me, and I know it's something I AM DOING (or not doing) and all I can do is shake my head.

Re: I know when I'm beat - 09/16/17 06:19 PM

RiverRider, for future reference, just in case......try RL26 with 105's in that 243. Bingo!
Posted By: RiverRider

Re: I know when I'm beat - 09/16/17 08:27 PM

Originally Posted By: Jgraider
RiverRider, for future reference, just in case......try RL26 with 105's in that 243. Bingo!

There is NO .243 in my safe, raider, and there is not likely to be one either. I have a couple of other 6mms in the safe that have been cooperative from the start and shoot very well---and both outperform the .243 anyway. I HAVE been kicking around the idea of Re26 in my 6-284 though, as a replacement for H4831SC. H4831SC has worked well, but when I tried Re26 in my .280s it beat H4831SC handily. I was thinking I'll see the same in the 6-284.

My 6mm Rem is fed only 70-grain BTs. Currently I'm driving that combo with Ramshot Hunter. Works well.

But... back
Posted By: ChadTRG42

Re: I know when I'm beat - 09/16/17 09:12 PM

Bear, you did good! It looks great, and good shooting!

Re: I know when I'm beat - 09/17/17 02:22 AM

Range day is done. 150 gamekings were the most accurate and had the most consistent velocity. 3014 fps. ES for five shots was 12. I'm not even going to post the group size for fear of ridicule as shooting "internet groups" but it was a tiny five shot group. Very nice load!

140 Accubonds shot well too. Vihitavouri N-165 shot a little tighter than the IMR 4350. It shoots best in my rifle at 64 grains which is 2 grains below Noslers advertised max. Velocity for five averaged 2949 fps and ES was 27.

The 140 Accubonds with 64.5 grains of IMR 4350 averaged 3216 fps for five shots. ES was 13. Five shots went into slightly under a half inch at .486" center to center. Another really nice load. This is the load I settled on for this year. Rifle is dialed in and ready to go. Have 50 pieces of brass de-primed and tumbling to load up.

One side note-As usual, Nosler data is somewhat ambitious. I am shooting a 26" barrel and am a solid 60fps slower than Noslers advertised velocity out of a 24" barrel.
All in all a good day to shoot and I managed not to shoot the chrono.....

Re: I know when I'm beat - 09/17/17 02:42 AM

River Rider, the 140 partitions stymied me. I never found anything that showed promise. As for seating depth my usual M.O. is to start at .020 off the lands and progressively work away if I need to.
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: I know when I'm beat - 09/17/17 11:58 AM

"Houston..problem solved"

Re: I know when I'm beat - 09/17/17 06:37 PM

Nice work Smokey Bear, and nice shooting. I think you'll love the performance of the 140 AB. I know we sure do.
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: I know when I'm beat - 09/19/17 11:52 PM

UH......yea......I think your rifle is ready

looks great, hard to beat by a longshot

don't you love it when a plan comes together???
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum