Texas Hunting Forum

Speer Gand Slams

Posted By: Chuck McDonald

Speer Gand Slams - 11/30/16 02:30 PM

Loading some 100gr Speer Grand Slams for my 6mm Remington. Haven't heard much about them but I am looking for a replacement for the corelokts I have been using through the years in that rifle. Anyone have any experience with them.
Posted By: RiverRider

Re: Speer Gand Slams - 11/30/16 02:37 PM

I could be mistaken Chuck, but I believe Speer has discontinued the GS. Double-check that to be sure...but if your luck is anything like mine they'll shoot like a house afire and you'll never find another box of them!

cry
Posted By: RiverRider

Re: Speer Gand Slams - 11/30/16 02:47 PM

I just checked myself, and I AM mistaken. Maybe it was a particular GS that had been discontinued...carry on!

hanged
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Speer Gand Slams - 11/30/16 02:56 PM

I never see much for speer bullet offerings and have never loaded any of them. I can recoment either aa 100 grain nosler partition or 100 grain sierra prohunter, both have given me great results. Shot a 100 lb doe through both shoulders with the my 243 and 100 grain prohunter on Saturday two busted shoulders full penetration good exit and a short track.
Posted By: Eyesofahunter

Re: Speer Gand Slams - 11/30/16 04:35 PM

I have used Speer Hot Core bullets in various 30 cal applications and have always been impressed with the results. The GS is a tougher version of the hot core so I would expect solid results on game.

Re: Speer Gand Slams - 11/30/16 07:17 PM

My 6mm is the only rifle I own that I have not reloaded for. One of my dads best friends was a gunsmith in Gilmer that built it for me back in 1972. Truth is it has always shot 100gr corelokts sub-moa. The problem is I am tired of rationing ammo for it. First batch is over IMR 4350, looks like rain this weekend so might be awhile before I see results.
Posted By: syncerus

Re: Speer Gand Slams - 11/30/16 09:15 PM

I've had limited but very successful experience at moderate velocity with the 180 grain GS in a .300 SAUM. In the .243 caliber bullets, I've been very a happy with the performance of the 105 grain HotCore, again at moderate velocities, on hogs, some of considerable size. I've never found the GS to be a target bullet, but the performance on game has been satisfactory. I guess this is just a way of saying that I think you'll be happy with the on target performance for reasonable applications.

The 180 grain GS:

The 105 grain HotCore:
Posted By: BIGDOG1956

Re: Speer Gand Slams - 11/30/16 10:07 PM

A grand slam holds together well. It is speer's premium bullet for mule deer and elk. I have found that It works well for me.
Posted By: WileyCoyote

Re: Speer Gand Slams - 12/01/16 05:01 AM

The original GS was a double chamber bullet like the Nosler Partition, and discontinued ummm loong time ago.

I've used Hot Cores since the '80's mostly in 270's - bought out a dealer in Lousiana one time at about $2-$3 a box and bought all he had in couple calibers or styles & made the already overloaded Suburban squat - and other under 3000 MV guns and always been satisfied with their On Game performance & decent but not stellar accuracy. IMO They are not a target bullet & don't make that claim.

I used to use 270gr Hot Cores in my 9.3x62 and the CZ could stack them in the same hole 5 at a time if I was doing my part...and a real thumper on game, with little or no meat damage.

Got some 120 gr 6.5's I used to put thru a Swede at max max MV's that were close to Sierra PH's acccuracy wise & a little tougher with nice consistent thru & thru's on WTails .

Found a source for some Fusion's that've been commrcially pulled from factory ammo, or sold in bulk as Blems occasionally and am looking forward to trying them when I burn up what I've got on the shelf.
Ron
Posted By: HandgunHTR

Re: Speer Gand Slams - 12/01/16 03:13 PM

I load the 100 grain Grand Slams in my 243 Win. It has performed solidly for me on multiple whitetails. I have never recovered a bullet from a deer yet, but every deer shot with them has been put in the dirt within 50 yards of where they were standing when shot.

Re: Speer Gand Slams - 12/01/16 03:20 PM

thanks guys
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum