Texas Hunting Forum

9mm vs 40 cal

Posted By: robert01

9mm vs 40 cal - 09/17/15 02:55 AM

whats the differance in knock down power from a 9 mm and 40 cal, or just in general between the rounds
Posted By: ChadTRG42

Re: 9mm vs 40 cal - 09/17/15 04:30 AM

bolt
Posted By: kry226

Re: 9mm vs 40 cal - 09/17/15 04:58 AM

If you hit what you're aiming at, not much. Just shoot what you shoot well and never look back. Don't get wrapped up in the caliber debate because as Chad has alluded above, it only opens a can of worms and the arguments never settle anything.
Posted By: robert01

Re: 9mm vs 40 cal - 09/17/15 05:11 AM

As long as it feels good.its good.
Thanks pretty simple.
Posted By: texsider

Re: 9mm vs 40 cal - 09/17/15 05:12 AM

9mm would be a great hand gun, not that heavy and recoil is manageable for newbies. 40cal is almost as the same with 45. I would say its in the middle.
Posted By: Tactical Cowboy

Re: 9mm vs 40 cal - 09/17/15 01:50 PM

Men shoot a .40 or .45. Little girls shoot 9mm.

Open a box of .40 and set it beside a box of 9mm. Which would you rather trust your life to?

In all seriousness, the bigger calibers pack more punch, period.

Re: 9mm vs 40 cal - 09/17/15 01:52 PM

Originally Posted By: Tactical Cowboy
Men shoot a .40 or .45. Little girls shoot 9mm.

Open a box of .40 and set it beside a box of 9mm. Which would you rather trust your life to?

In all seriousness, the bigger calibers pack more punch, period.

rolleyes
Posted By: Kevin_M

Re: 9mm vs 40 cal - 09/17/15 02:07 PM

Originally Posted By: kry226
If you hit what you're aiming at, not much. Just shoot what you shoot well and never look back. Don't get wrapped up in the caliber debate because as Chad has alluded above, it only opens a can of worms and the arguments never settle anything.

Bingo!

Here is an excerpt from a www.policemag.com article.

"The ultimate stopping power rests with your training with your weapon system. Accurate hits in any reasonable caliber will "stop" a person if that person has experienced enough brain or spinal cord damage to interrupt regular neurologic impulses from reaching vital areas of the body or the person has hemorrhaged enough blood to lower his or her blood pressure where the brain no longer is able to function well. You can also stop a person if a major bone shatters after a bullet injures it, but does that stop the fight?

Stopping power is a marketing tool and should be dropped from our discussions of ballistic performance until such time as ammunition effectiveness is measured by more means than just the results of gelatin and barrier tests. When ammunition companies or regulatory agencies begin to use computer simulations, simulant tests, animal models, autopsy results, and trauma surgeon operation reports with hospital summaries to determine the effectiveness of their products, then we will know which ammunition can be labeled as having the "best stopping power." And this claim will be based on scientific data rather than incomplete ballistic testing.

Until then, shot placement with any commercially available ammunition will offer you the best chance of maximizing your duty ammunition's stopping power."

The full article can be found here
Posted By: J.G.

Re: 9mm vs 40 cal - 09/17/15 02:40 PM

Originally Posted By: ChadTRG42
bolt

^^What they said^^

This could rank right up there with .30-06 vs. .308, which elk cartridge, and HF vs. LF.

Ten miles of bad road....
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: 9mm vs 40 cal - 09/17/15 02:47 PM

From the ballistics the difference is not that significant. If you're going to shoot it a lot, the price difference certainly is. 9mm is significantly cheaper.
Posted By: ChadTRG42

Re: 9mm vs 40 cal - 09/17/15 07:21 PM

Originally Posted By: FiremanJG

Or 1 1/2 miles of 3805!
Posted By: J.G.

Re: 9mm vs 40 cal - 09/17/15 10:15 PM

Or 1 1/2 miles of 3805!

After 7 months of rain...
Posted By: texsider

Re: 9mm vs 40 cal - 09/18/15 01:10 AM

By the way it doesn't matter if its 9mm or 40 cal what is important is the skill of the shooter for that precise target.
Posted By: GasGuzzler

Re: 9mm vs 40 cal - 09/18/15 02:43 AM

Get one of each.

Problem solved.

Tactical cowboy, you failed the troll test.

Don't you know you're not supposed to offer an opinion when an opinion is asked?

I like them both but think 9mm is so much cheaper to reload it makes sense to me.

The point is the question is not that great and is either uninformed or more likely authored by someone bored, wanting to see what kind of funny crap people will use as an excuse to post an opinion.

This time people made it fun to read and left most of the opinions to other areas.

food

Re: 9mm vs 40 cal - 09/18/15 03:56 AM

If you load both cartridges to max, a 40 still has more power. This is just like the 9vs45 debate. I like a 40 because it makes Major in USPSA. Other than that, it really doesn't matter.

Re: 9mm vs 40 cal - 09/18/15 03:56 AM

If you load both cartridges to max, a 40 still has more power. This is just like the 9vs45 debate. I like a 40 because it makes Major in USPSA. Other than that, it really doesn't matter.
Posted By: bull279

Re: 9mm vs 40 cal - 09/25/15 10:52 PM

I will say this from experience... when I went to police academy, we shot at heavy steel silhouette targets. The firearms instructor gathered us around the first day and told all the cadets, if you shoot a 9mm, you WILL HAVE to shoot the targets twice in order to knock them down. The 9mm just does not have the same terminal ballistics that the 40 and 45 have. The few cadets that had 9mms started to complain, but he told them to wait and see. Sure enough, the 9mm would not knock the targets down routinely. The 40s and 45s would knock it down first time, every time.

If you are shooting smaller targets (hogs, dogs, yotes, etc) it won't matter what you are hitting them with, but bigger stuff... bigger is better. I would highly recommend a high expansion hollow point no-matter what you are shooting. The wider it gets, the more energy it should transfer.

Re: 9mm vs 40 cal - 09/26/15 12:45 AM

Originally Posted By: bull279
I will say this from experience... when I went to police academy, we shot at heavy steel silhouette targets. The firearms instructor gathered us around the first day and told all the cadets, if you shoot a 9mm, you WILL HAVE to shoot the targets twice in order to knock them down. The 9mm just does not have the same terminal ballistics that the 40 and 45 have. The few cadets that had 9mms started to complain, but he told them to wait and see. Sure enough, the 9mm would not knock the targets down routinely. The 40s and 45s would knock it down first time, every time.

If you are shooting smaller targets (hogs, dogs, yotes, etc) it won't matter what you are hitting them with, but bigger stuff... bigger is better. I would highly recommend a high expansion hollow point no-matter what you are shooting. The wider it gets, the more energy it should transfer.

But all the cops are going back to 9mm confused2

Re: 9mm vs 40 cal - 09/26/15 12:54 AM

But all the cops are going back to 9mm confused2

The ones around me aren't. 40 and 45 is the standard around here.
Posted By: RiverRider

Re: 9mm vs 40 cal - 09/26/15 02:25 AM

I think one thing is certain: ammo (or maybe more exactly correct, bullet design) has come a long way since the Miami shootout that prompted the FBI to push for the development of the 10mm and the subsequent development of the .40 S&W. I don't think I'd feel under-gunned carrying a 9mm these days, which I did for a few weeks about eight years ago, but I still prefer a .40 S&W or a .45 ACP. Bigger IS better...IF you can shoot it.

Re: 9mm vs 40 cal - 09/26/15 03:05 AM

Originally Posted By: RiverRider
Bigger IS better...IF you can shoot it.

Yup... if you can't hit your target... might as well be throwing rocks.

Re: 9mm vs 40 cal - 09/26/15 03:08 AM

Hit the steel in the right place and a MiniMag knocks it over, no? Leverage works better than brute strength. I'll take all three.
Posted By: RiverRider

Re: 9mm vs 40 cal - 09/26/15 03:11 AM

Originally Posted By: GasGuzzler
Hit the steel in the right place and a MiniMag knocks it over, no?

Uhhh...well, maybe NOT. I won't stand still whilst you lob those little .22 bullets at me though.
bolt

Re: 9mm vs 40 cal - 09/26/15 03:42 AM

Ha!

Lob?

At you?

I'm coRnfused.

Are you made of steel?

Superman has posted.

Just kidding. I was only making a point, not trying to save the world nor was I being literal.

Happy Birthday to me.

roflmao
Posted By: fast88

Re: 9mm vs 40 cal - 09/26/15 04:14 AM

Handgun calibers in question do not have "knockdown" power.

There are plenty of people that get shot in vital areas that do not drop on the spot and or do not stop their attack when shot with a 9mm or a 45acp. To drop someone in there tracks you would have to damage the central nervous system which can be accomplished with a 22 lr. Shot placement and training are the most important factors and if you are in a situation where you do have to shoot make sure you shoot until the threat has stopped.

The gun used in this video was a smith and wesson 40 cal. You can see the guy was shot 3 times almost point blank and ran away. He did die later but there was no "knockdown" power

https://youtu.be/f7ve6MhmeaY
Posted By: jeffbird

Re: 9mm vs 40 cal - 09/26/15 04:16 AM

A few years ago I shot a pig with a rifle. When I pulled up to load it up, I happened to have both a 9mm and a 45 ACP and the idea popped to mind to try both on the pig at close range. Distance was about 5 - 6 feet, so very close range. The first shot was from the 9mm with a 124 grain Speer Gold Dot bullet to the head. The bullet ricocheted off the skull without penetrating. Next was the 45 ACP with a Hornady 200 grain XTP. It made a hole in the skull the size of a golf ball and obliterated the cranial cavity. So there two data points. Have not tried it with a 40.

Re: 9mm vs 40 cal - 09/26/15 04:45 AM

Originally Posted By: jeffbird
So there two data points. Have not tried it with a 40.

I generally use a 22wmr rifle to kill pics in the trap, but for the bigger ones I use a 180 gr 40S&W. They don't get up.

Re: 9mm vs 40 cal - 09/26/15 10:18 AM

bolt

^^What they said^^

This could rank right up there with .30-06 vs. .308, which elk cartridge, and HF vs. LF.

Posted By: wp75169

Re: 9mm vs 40 cal - 09/26/15 12:02 PM

A 9mm might expand but a 45 will not contract.

I shoot a380, a 9, a 45, and 454 so I would think that eliminates the "real men" attitude. The 380 is for the pocket. The 9 sees all use and is hi capacity at 18 rounds. It is very accurate and offers faster follow up shots than the others. The 45 and 454 are also very accurate with less capacity and slower follow up.

The 40 is considered a good compromise between the two. With my lack of skill I find it has a slower follow up similar to the 45. Less capacity than the 9 although not by much.
Posted By: Cleric

Re: 9mm vs 40 cal - 09/26/15 01:23 PM

Bullet choice/type matters a lot in this discussion.

Re: 9mm vs 40 cal - 09/26/15 11:02 PM

Originally Posted By: wp75169
A 9mm might expand but a 45 will not contract.

I shoot a380, a 9, a 45, and 454 so I would think that eliminates the "real men" attitude. The 380 is for the pocket. The 9 sees all use and is hi capacity at 18 rounds. It is very accurate and offers faster follow up shots than the others. The 45 and 454 are also very accurate with less capacity and slower follow up.

The 40 is considered a good compromise between the two. With my lack of skill I find it has a slower follow up similar to the 45. Less capacity than the 9 although not by much.

Get a timer and check your split times while keeping your shots on target. The (non existent) difference the caliber makes may surprise you.
Posted By: 30378

Re: 9mm vs 40 cal - 09/27/15 12:45 AM

Never underestimate a 9mm. WWII graveyards are full of brave soldiers killed from a 9mm. May God bless them all!!
Posted By: tth_40

Re: 9mm vs 40 cal - 09/30/15 04:12 AM

Originally Posted By: jeffbird
So there two data points. Have not tried it with a 40.

I generally use a 22wmr rifle to kill pics in the trap, but for the bigger ones I use a 180 gr 40S&W. They don't get up.
Been using a 165 grain .40 S&W on hogs for years. Pretty nasty and very effective.
Posted By: Big Fitz

Re: 9mm vs 40 cal - 10/01/15 02:22 PM

You mentioned "knock down power" so assuming you are considering a defensive weapon. Research what LEO chooses to use as their primary weapon.
Posted By: ggarciatx

Re: 9mm vs 40 cal - 10/08/15 03:08 PM

I love when people bash the 9MM. I have taught numerous firearms classes over the years and in all that time, I have never had one volunteer willing to take a 9MM round to the chest. They rant and rave that the 9MM is so inadequate and will not work, but yet they are scared to take a hit from one.... confused2

So is it or isn't it effective? rolleyes
Yes I am being sarcastic.

Bullet placement and advances in Defensive ammo have made all service caliber ammunition on par with each other.
I have been able to teach my kids basic handgun skills with Glock 19s due to the fact that 9MM is easy to control and very inexpensive compared to the other calibers.
9MM will do what is needed as long as you do your part.

.40 operates at too high pressure levels and is more susceptible to Bullet Setback. I have seen more failures with .40 caliber weapons than 9MM.

.45 is a great round, but price of ammo and mostly single stack magazines defeat its purpose for existing now.

Re: 9mm vs 40 cal - 10/10/15 04:38 AM

Just received the M4C Newsletter today that included preferences from a lot of folks with real world experience. You can argue with a bunch of Delta and SOF guys if you want, but...I'm just going to leave this here.

Quote:
.45 vs 9mm
Larry Vickers: The debate is over - 9mm won

Recently Bill Wilson of Wilson Combat fame sent around a survey to many notable people in the firearms industry - many M4C members will recognize instantly several on the survey such as myself, Hackathorn and Rob Leatham. The question was simple; if you had to choose one pistol caliber for self defense and range use what would it be. The results spoke volumes-9mm Para won in a landslide. Almost unanimously.

Survey Says

Assuming you had to buy your own pistol and ammunition (type of your choice) for combined self-defense and self-defense range training use, which caliber would you choose, 9x19mm Parabellum, .357 Sig, .38 super, .40 S&W, 10mm or .45 ACP ?
I surveyed the following and their answer:

BJ Norris 9mm
Bill Rogers 9mm
Bill Wilson 9mm
David Bahde 9mm
Ernest Langdon 9mm
Frank Proctor 9mm
Ken Hackathorn 9mm
Larry Vickers 9mm
Mike Seeklander 9mm
Paul Markel 9mm
Paul Howe 9mm
Paul Buffoni 9mm
Rob Haught .45
Rob Leatham .40
Super Dave Harrington 9mm

Benefits of 9mm

It was no surprise to me; I've been preaching the benefits of 9mm for quite awhile now and I'm not alone. 9mm pistols hold a lot of bullets and are easy to shoot. There are many good models to choose from. Practice Ammo is easy to get and fairly cheap. And most importantly some of the self defense loads on the market are very effective. I can't say I was surprised by this development at all.

Experience

In fact, I saw it coming years ago. One thing I had been doing for years is asking LE officers who carry 9mm what specific load they use and what performance has it provided on the job. Without exception anytime officers were carrying the Winchester Ranger 127 grain +P+ or the Speer Gold Dot they had nothing but good things to say. In fact one officer told me they had yet to have a bad guy survive who they had shot with the Ranger 127 gr +P+. To me when the FBI announced a switch back to 9mm that simply confirmed what I already knew. We live in a 9mm world and that's not changing anytime soon.

The Way I See It

An exception to that in my opinion would be if you are stuck for whatever reason to carrying ball Ammo only. At that point all the calibers are just gonna poke a hole in the bad guy and a bigger hole is better than a smaller one so .45 ACP rules. That leaves .40 S&W out in the cold in my opinion and that trend is seen everywhere now as the .40 has quickly become the black sheep of the whole Ammo debate. The guns are harder to shoot, hold less bullets and are no more effective on the street than 9mm. In fact some have proven to be problematic for many years (Glock 22) when there 9mm counterparts are gold standards for dependability and reliability (Glock 17).

So that's the way I see it; 9mm is in, .40 is out, and .45 if needed. Be safe, keep shooting, LAV out.

Larry Vickers
Master Sergeant ( Retired )
US Army SOF Combat Veteran
http://vickerstactical.com
http://m.youtube.com/user/VickersTacticalInc
Posted By: TFF Caribou

Re: 9mm vs 40 cal - 10/10/15 05:20 AM

A 9mm will generally take 4-5 rounds to knock a man down, 40 will do it in 3-4. .45acp will do it in 2-3. And .380acp will no even penetrate a denim jacket most of the time.

Re: 9mm vs 40 cal - 10/10/15 11:00 PM

Originally Posted By: Tff caribou
A 9mm will generally take 4-5 rounds to knock a man down, 40 will do it in 3-4. .45acp will do it in 2-3. And .380acp will no even penetrate a denim jacket most of the time.

Denim backed by body armor?

Re: 9mm vs 40 cal - 10/11/15 02:00 AM

Lol nope. Regular old denim.

You want a real man stopper? .32acp is king as far as I'm concerned.
Posted By: blackcoal

Re: 9mm vs 40 cal - 10/11/15 02:19 AM

Lol nope. Regular old denim.

You want a real man stopper? .32acp is king as far as I'm concerned.

worked for 007

Re: 9mm vs 40 cal - 10/11/15 02:53 AM

And .380acp will no even penetrate a denim jacket most of the time.

Wait! Wait! Wait! Hold on... bs

A 22LR with 104 lb/ft of energy at 1200 fps can go through clothes and kill a man. But you are saying that a 90gr .380acp with 200 lb/ft of energy at 1000 fps can't even go through a denim jacket?

It is the same size bullet as a 9x19 but 300fps slower.

I am gonna have to find a Canadian Tuxedo and check this out.

Re: 9mm vs 40 cal - 10/11/15 02:59 AM

.380 ACP Penetration Tests
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: 9mm vs 40 cal - 10/11/15 03:38 AM

I've killed a downer cow from 10 yards with a 380. I would hardly consider a cow skull denim.

Re: 9mm vs 40 cal - 10/11/15 04:17 AM

And .380acp will no even penetrate a denim jacket most of the time.

Wait! Wait! Wait! Hold on... bs

A 22LR with 104 lb/ft of energy at 1200 fps can go through clothes and kill a man. But you are saying that a 90gr .380acp with 200 lb/ft of energy at 1000 fps can't even go through a denim jacket?

It is the same size bullet as a 9x19 but 300fps slower.

I am gonna have to find a Canadian Tuxedo and check this out.

.22lr has exponentially more power than a .380

Re: 9mm vs 40 cal - 10/11/15 05:16 AM

I'm amazed at the number of experts in this thread. slinger

Re: 9mm vs 40 cal - 10/11/15 07:33 PM

I am going to have to ask you to clarify this statement.

The information I pulled off the web could be contested so I pulled up bullet information from my Winchester Ballistics Calculator App

.380 ACP 95gr FMJ target round - Muzzle - 950 fps 190 ft/lbs
50 yds - 886 fps 166 ft/lbs

.22LR (fired from pistol) 40gr Lead Round Nose
Muzzle - 1060 fps 100 ft/lbs
50 yds - 980 fps 85 ft/lbs

and just for comparison

.22LR (fired from rifle) 40gr Lead Round Nose
Muzzle - 770 fps 38 ft/lbs
50 yds - 680 fps 30 ft/lbs

I am failing to see how the .22LR is "exponentially" more powerful than the .380 ACP

Would you please explain your answer so I can understand what you mean?

And FYI... we hauled my old washing machine to my father's scrap metal pile after it quit working. I shot it with my .380 and it had no trouble penetrating the sheet metal body and then the ceramic-coated, metal wash tub. It almost was able to penetrate out of the other side of the wash tub. My 45 penetrated the same distance through the washer. The 45 came closer to punching through the other side of the wash tub than the .380 did. But I really thing that the statement that a .380 can't penetrate denim is a gross understatement of power.

Re: 9mm vs 40 cal - 10/11/15 09:39 PM

I'm amazed at the number of people in this thread who are so easily trolled.

Cmon guys.

I was just exaggerating all the nonsense weve heard over the years. Maybe giving answers that were as silly as the original question.

In my non expert opinion, you put a couple of rounds of anything .38 cal and above into a target, you will be fine. Center mass, multiple rounds, you are going to have a bad guy suddenly very unmotivated.

Re: 9mm vs 40 cal - 10/12/15 01:17 AM

Hi everyone! I'm Bull279... and I am troll bait!

Re: 9mm vs 40 cal - 10/12/15 01:31 AM

Hi everyone! I'm Bull279... and I am troll bait!

roflmao

Re: 9mm vs 40 cal - 10/12/15 02:10 AM

Cmon guys.

I was just exaggerating all the nonsense weve heard over the years. Maybe giving answers that were as silly as the original question.

In my non expert opinion, you put a couple of rounds of anything .38 cal and above into a target, you will be fine. Center mass, multiple rounds, you are going to have a bad guy suddenly very unmotivated.

380 is actual a .357 bullet as is the 9mm and 38 special wink

Re: 9mm vs 40 cal - 10/12/15 02:51 AM

Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Cmon guys.

380 is actual a .357 bullet as is the 9mm and 38 special wink

Wasn't sure how I wanted to word that. I knew that was the case, but I figured y'all would know what I was getting at.

Re: 9mm vs 40 cal - 10/12/15 03:07 AM

I was fishing back smile

I bite, so figured I'd try too

grin

Re: 9mm vs 40 cal - 10/12/15 08:03 AM

As far as exaggeration, it would be funny if so many people didn't use the same words as serious points to this ridiculous argument. And I mean they're DEAD SERIOUS about it. As such, people are so far out there flapping on this argument that you really don't know if someone's joking or not. (But I still laugh at the ridiculous pontifications). grin

Re: 9mm vs 40 cal - 10/12/15 11:21 AM

As far as exaggeration, it would be funny if so many people didn't use the same words as serious points to this ridiculous argument. And I mean they're DEAD SERIOUS about it. As such, people are so far out there flapping on this argument that you really don't know if someone's joking or not. (But I still laugh at the ridiculous pontifications). grin

And that was my point with the whole thing. I see bumper stickers like, I have a .45 because shooting twice is dumb, or I've heard people say, I carry a 22 pistol as a ccw because I can put every round into a 2 inch group at 15 yards. I know people who refuse to carry a 9mm because it doesn't have enough "knock down power".

Carry or use what you are comfortable with, and what is comfortable to carry. I happen to carry a s&w shield in .40 but I'd be just as comfortable carrying a 9mm or .380acp or .38 special.

Re: 9mm vs 40 cal - 10/14/15 04:39 PM

The information I pulled off the web could be contested so I pulled up bullet information from my Winchester Ballistics Calculator App

and just for comparison

I am failing to see how the .22LR is "exponentially" more powerful than the .380 ACP

And FYI... we hauled my old washing machine to my father's scrap metal pile after it quit working. I shot it with my .380 and it had no trouble penetrating the sheet metal body and then the ceramic-coated, metal wash tub. It almost was able to penetrate out of the other side of the wash tub. My 45 penetrated the same distance through the washer. The 45 came closer to punching through the other side of the wash tub than the .380 did. But I really thing that the statement that a .380 can't penetrate denim is a gross understatement of power.

How is the .22 rifle slower than the pistol?
Posted By: OkieDokie

Re: 9mm vs 40 cal - 10/14/15 09:18 PM

and just for comparison

How is the .22 rifle slower than the pistol?

The longer the barrel the more friction on the bullet, thus it comes out slower.

. bolt
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum