Texas Hunting Forum

Hornady SST 130 gr & case problem

Posted By: TxYoteHunter

Hornady SST 130 gr & case problem - 02/25/14 07:43 AM

Loading for .270 Winchester. Books call for case length to be 2.530. When the bullet is put into the brass and I try to set it at AOL of 3.180, the brass hits in the center of the groove and it slips to 3.125-3.155 or so and has some play in and out. Can NOT get the darn things to set at the right length to save my life. I've even tried using the Lee factory crimp die once I get it close and same thing. Any one else running into this problem? I'm looking for suggestions. Forgot to mention I'm really new at hand loading. Considered longer or shorter case lengths but I don't know what problems that would cause.
Posted By: kmon11

Re: Hornady SST 130 gr & case problem - 02/25/14 11:54 AM

Sounds like not enough neck tension, were the cases full length sized with the shell holder making full contact with the resizing die? The inside of the case neck should measure .274 to .275 after resizing. Also check the bullets, they should be .277 inches.

crimp should not be necessary with the 270.
Posted By: papa45

Re: Hornady SST 130 gr & case problem - 02/25/14 01:31 PM

Agree with kmon1. I have loaded .270 many times with the case mouth stopping at/near/in the middle of the cannelure.
Posted By: ChadTRG42

Re: Hornady SST 130 gr & case problem - 02/25/14 01:58 PM

I'm sorry, I'm not even sure I understand your issue. Try backing your seating die out some and working the bullet deeper one stroke at a time. If you have the die set too deep, it can be making contact with the shoulder, and messing up your case. Also, don't bother with a crimp. If the case is sized correctly, then it should have enough neck tension to not need a crimp.
Posted By: jdk1985

Re: Hornady SST 130 gr & case problem - 02/25/14 02:28 PM

I wonder if you have tried to seat a bullet too many times in the same case without resizing the neck?

And agree with everyone else above on possible things to check.

Re: Hornady SST 130 gr & case problem - 02/25/14 04:46 PM

Originally Posted By: kmon1
Sounds like not enough neck tension, were the cases full length sized with the shell holder making full contact with the resizing die? The inside of the case neck should measure .274 to .275 after resizing. Also check the bullets, they should be .277

The brass I'm working with is used. No idea how many times its been used but looks to be in good condition. After resizing, the inside of the case neck measures from .277 to .279 which of course is too big. I've double checked the adjustment on the die and it's good. Bullets are .277. Does it sound like I'm getting the adjustment wrong on the die? The die is dated 1975.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Hornady SST 130 gr & case problem - 02/25/14 05:07 PM

Make sure it is the correct die, not one accidently placed in the wrong box and give it a good cleaning.

Re: Hornady SST 130 gr & case problem - 02/25/14 05:09 PM

Originally Posted By: ChadTRG42
Try backing your seating die out some and working the bullet deeper one stroke at a time. If you have the die set too deep, it can be making contact with the shoulder, and messing up your case. Also, don't bother with a crimp. If the case is sized correctly, then it should have enough neck tension to not need a crimp.

I did the little at a time seating too with no luck. No neck tension except for the very tip of the case.
Posted By: sevensixtytwo

Re: Hornady SST 130 gr & case problem - 02/25/14 06:28 PM

Try getting some new brass.
There are two things that could be happening assuming your dies are set correctly.
1. the brass is old and there isn't enough material left (after trimming, etc) so it is too thin now for the neck to be the right internal diameter.
2. the size die is messed up.

Re: Hornady SST 130 gr & case problem - 02/25/14 06:38 PM

1. I'll try to find some new brass and see if that works out. Hopefully it's that simple of a cure.
2. This die is a used one with a '75 date stamp on top. And, this is the first time I've used it. Could be the die is the problem. Hope not.
Thanks for all the info and help from everyone. I'm learning more all the time.
Posted By: RiverRider

Re: Hornady SST 130 gr & case problem - 02/25/14 07:29 PM

Sounds to me like somebody turned those case necks and took too much off.
Posted By: ChadTRG42

Re: Hornady SST 130 gr & case problem - 02/25/14 07:32 PM

If the die has an expander ball, remove it to get more neck tension. If that doesn't work, then start over with new brass.
Posted By: Slow Drifter

Re: Hornady SST 130 gr & case problem - 02/26/14 12:36 AM

You might want to take your die apart and make sure it has the right rod in it. I got a new .25-06 die set a few years ago that did something like that, but more obvious. It had a .270 de-capper/sizing rod installed in it. I e-mailed the manufacturer and had the right part in a couple days.

Re: Hornady SST 130 gr & case problem - 02/26/14 01:49 AM

Nope. I read this and went and checked it just to make sure. Was hoping that was it.
Posted By: Slow Drifter

Re: Hornady SST 130 gr & case problem - 02/26/14 02:40 AM

Originally Posted By: TxYoteHunter
Nope. I read this and went and checked it just to make sure. Was hoping that was it.

Yeah, that woulda' been too easy I guess. Just thought I'd throw it out there.

Re: Hornady SST 130 gr & case problem - 02/27/14 03:52 PM

Originally Posted By: TxYoteHunter

does the die body say 270 win on it?

Re: Hornady SST 130 gr & case problem - 02/28/14 05:46 AM

Yes sir. .270 WIN is on there. I'm thinkin it's just used up brass. I've ordered some new brass. I'll see if that's it.
Posted By: jeh7mmmag

Re: Hornady SST 130 gr & case problem - 02/28/14 01:31 PM

Remove the expander ball, size a case, and measure od and id of case. This will tell you if the sizing die, cases, or the expander button is the problem.

What does your expander ball measure? It should be about 0.001" to 0.003" smaller than your caliber bullet. Measure your bullets..

If expand ball is to big and expanding neck to much get proper size ball or chuck ball and stem in a drill and use 600 silicone carbide the ball down to what you need
(0.277 minus interference of 0.002 to 0.003= ID of 0.274 to 0.275).

You may have cases that someone turned the neck OD down to much, and the dies size the external side of case external and your internal size may be off.

Re: Hornady SST 130 gr & case problem - 03/04/14 06:19 PM

Did new brass fix the issue? Ever a solution to this?

Re: Hornady SST 130 gr & case problem - 03/23/14 06:02 AM

Got in a new batch of brass. Same thing. But the issue has been resolved. Bought a new set of dies. Works like a champ now. Didn't want to wait for a new pin so I went with the whole new die set.
I appreciate all the help that was offered, I'm sure I'll need more later. Thanks again.

Re: Hornady SST 130 gr & case problem - 03/24/14 11:27 AM

Quote:
Didn't want to wait for a new pin so I went with the whole new die set.

What are you calling pin? The expander ball stem?

Re: Hornady SST 130 gr & case problem - 03/24/14 11:36 AM

Yes sir.

Re: Hornady SST 130 gr & case problem - 03/24/14 11:44 AM

Get them to warranty or replace expander ball?

Glad you found it
Posted By: jdk1985

Re: Hornady SST 130 gr & case problem - 03/24/14 12:08 PM

Glad its working now

Re: Hornady SST 130 gr & case problem - 03/24/14 01:21 PM

I knew it had to be the equipment cause I never make mistakes.
Posted By: RiverRider

Re: Hornady SST 130 gr & case problem - 03/24/14 05:35 PM

My equipment is perfect.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum