Texas Hunting Forum

Roll Call

Posted By: Ironwood

Roll Call - 10/17/05 04:50 PM

I was just wondering how many muzzleloader users we have on this forum? If you use a muzzleloader to hunt with or just shoot for fun please post the info.

I'm .50 caliber sidelock shooter. I use real black powder, patched roundballs as well as REAL bullets. I use my muzzleloader for hunting as well as fun shooting.

Posted By: Crazyhorse

Re: Roll Call - 10/17/05 05:45 PM

I have a 45 caliber T&C Hawken that I have shot one deer with, and a few old Mowery's that I built when I worked for the company when they were in business in Olney, Texas back in the early 70's, but I don't hunt with them like I should.

Posted By: Bonehead

Re: Roll Call - 10/17/05 06:05 PM

I shoot a CVA Optima in .45. I got it last year and hunted one weekend of muzzleloader season with it, but didn't get anything. It's a blast to shoot!

Posted By: redchevy

Re: Roll Call - 10/17/05 07:38 PM

I shoot a .54 hawken replica (percusion) with 90 grains of pyrodex powder and a 310 grain buffalo ball-et. I have had alot of fun shooting it over the last couple of months, but this will be my first year to hunt with it, and I am really looking forward to it.

matt

Posted By: forthebirds

Re: Roll Call - 10/18/05 11:07 AM

got an old red river 54 that i shoot round balls out of for everything and bufflo bullets for deer.

Posted By: Okiebug

Re: Roll Call - 10/18/05 05:05 PM

I shoot a 50cal T/C Omega SS barrel with synthetic camo stock. I also have a Bushnell Elite 3200 scope on it. I go back every year to Oklahoma for their muzzleloader season which starts this Saturday. I load mine with 100gr powder (2 50gr Pyrdex pellets) with a 240gr Hornedy XTP saboted bullet.

Posted By: CoyoteJames

Re: Roll Call - 10/18/05 05:41 PM

I have a NEF .50 cal ML. Got it last year, haven't been hunting with it but have been to the range testing it. It is a break open and that makes it easier to get the 209 primer in than some of the bolt action MLs.

Posted By: SteveM

Re: Roll Call - 10/19/05 01:33 PM

CVA Kentucky long rifle kit assembled over Labor Day weekend. .45 caliber. I have only shot it 5 times with 240 grain miniballs propelled by 50 grains of FFg Goex. The consitency of the shots were beyond my expectations but I am going to experiment with loads and round ball to see find the sweet spot. Since it was such a pleasure to shoot I am hoping to find the sweet spot and fill all my tags with it this year.

Posted By: Lonegun1894

Re: Roll Call - 10/20/05 09:21 PM

.50 CVA Hawken PRB with 85grns Goex FFF. It's killed plenty rabbits and coyotes, but hoping for a deer this year.

Posted By: 7mmSavage

Re: Roll Call - 10/20/05 11:54 PM

I shoot a .50 cal cva that my wife got me for christmas last year. So far I have shot at one bobcat at about 75 yards right over the top of it and it just kept walking like nothing ever happened. After that I put a scope on it and plan on getting a deer with it this season. 100 grains of triple seven with a 295 grain power belt aero

Posted By: hoofinit

Re: Roll Call - 10/21/05 04:21 AM

Got a TC Omega in .50, killed one deer with it last year with two 50 grain pellets and a 240 grain JHP sabot (made by a buffalo bullets, it was a much softer bullet and thinner jacket than the XTP, which is why I liked it, though they didn't seem particularly accurate in my gun).

Just put a williams WGRS aperture sight on the rear, but otherwise it's stock. Don't think I'll scope it, where I hunt I don't think I'll get a shot over 100 yards. Then again, if I end up with some longer shots during the gun season, I might scope it after all.

Still haven't graduated from the 777 pellets to the real man's way of doing it, but someday I might. Seems a lot cheaper that way....

Anyone used those 300 grain XTPs? Like to have a load that's good on hogs, and the 240 grainers seem a little light. Opinions?

Posted By: bigbill

Re: Roll Call - 10/22/05 02:12 AM

I shoot a Lyman 54 cal Great Plains in 54 cal.Ball and patch'100 grains of triple fff.Insider of 100 yards it a slam dunk. Mounted with a good peep sight. If it is inside of 100 yards ,just get the knife out!!!

Posted By: redbeard

Re: Roll Call - 10/23/05 04:18 PM

T/C Hawken .50 for deer and a Crockett .32 for rabbit. Both patch and ball w/ pyrodex

Posted By: Ironwood

Re: Roll Call - 10/26/05 12:13 AM

Well, it does look like we have some muzzleloader shooters here. I see so far we are just about even, sidelocks and inlines. We have been getting a lot of views but not to many replies. I hope we can change that.

Posted By: stinkbelly

Re: Roll Call - 10/27/05 10:46 AM

I have a CVA magbolt 50. It is stainless with a camo synthetic stock. I hunted with it once last year and I will again this year. I do pick up this before modern firearms for deer.

Posted By: HighTechRedneck

Re: Roll Call - 10/28/05 07:28 PM

CVA 50 cal. Magnum with camo synthetic stock. Won it in a Bass Tournament last year. First year to Deer hunt with it and can't wait. Iron sites no scope. Right out of the box it is dead on at 100 yds.

Posted By: hookset

Re: Roll Call - 10/30/05 01:38 AM

i shoot a 54 caliber CVA Hawken with either 435 grain maxi hunters or 348 grain powerbelt aerotips over 90 grains of American Pioneer Powder FFFG.

i hunt deer and pigs.

hookset

Posted By: raiderred

Re: Roll Call - 11/05/05 02:45 PM

I just got back from our annual 9 day Muzzleloader hunt in OK. I shot a spike that field dressed at 118 lbs and my buddy shot an 11 pt that field dressed 162 lbs. If I can figure out how to post the pictures, I will.
I shoot a .54 Traditions Lightning Bolt and also a .54 Lyman Deerstalker, using 100 grains of powder and Great Plains bullets in both. This year I tried 777 powder and liked it very well-it sure shoots a lot cleaner and with my guns, there was no change in bullet impact.

Posted By: parkj5

Re: Roll Call - 11/05/05 11:30 PM

cva optima pro mag 45 cal. killed 8 point 10/25/05 171 yards . dropped him in his tracks. 175 grn. power belt bullets. 90 grains 777.

Posted By: swampthang

Re: Roll Call - 11/16/05 12:45 AM

Only rifle I own.CVA Magbolt.45,3 x 9 Bushnell scope,about 110 grains of loose Pyrodex pushing 155 gr XTP sabots.Done killed a 7 point with it this year.I feel the lighter bullet is a little faster and flatter shooting but still heavy enough to handle these Texas whitetails.

Posted By: Ranger_920

Re: Roll Call - 12/09/05 12:35 AM

My wife just got me a CVA Wolf in-line 50 for Christmas. This is my first ML. We have a lease near Trinity, so I'm looking forward to my first ML season to bag a doe or two.

Ranger-920

Posted By: hogwild

Re: Roll Call - 12/10/05 04:31 PM

I have a encore 209*50 and a hawkins 50 cal. hope i get the kentucky rifle for x-mas. I like my in-line but i love my sidelocks! i use american pioneer powder,and rd balls with side lockes. I hunt with all my guns and shoot for fun.

Posted By: DROPTINE00

Re: Roll Call - 12/16/05 10:42 PM

I have a tc encore 209x50, i hate to admit this but i have owned since july of 05 and not shot it. look forward to doing that real soon. if anyone knows of a good load, i'd like to hear it.

Posted By: way2fast1

Re: Roll Call - 01/02/06 03:04 AM

.50 cal hawkins replica kit. built over a winter. 100 grains of pyrodex, powerbelt bullet. I was very supprised at the accuracy, love to shoot it, no kill with it yet but hopes are high for next season.

Posted By: Lobo69

Re: Roll Call - 01/05/06 04:14 AM

I shoot a T/C Encore 50 Cal. 150 gr pyrodex behind a 250 gr powerbelt. Got my first muzzelloader deer with it this year. Only a doe, but it's a start!

Posted By: jgspears67

Re: Roll Call - 02/01/06 06:46 PM

45 cal, New Frontier Beartooth, in-line break over with a Cabela's scope. Bought it a year ago and have never shot anything, other than targets with it at 50yds & 100yds. I shoot 180 gr. Hornady Sabots and 100 gr. 777. It is a blast to shot and hope to hunt with it. This past Muzzleloader season didn't work out for me to go. Everyone should own at least one.

Posted By: grm

Re: Roll Call - 02/06/06 06:47 PM

I've got a T/C 50 caliber patch and ball to hunt hogs but haven't been able to get on any yet. Hope to soon.

Posted By: ***Sean***

Re: Roll Call - 02/11/06 10:45 PM

TC Hawken .54 Cal. Shoot patched round balls.

Posted By: Jimbo

Re: Roll Call - 02/12/06 10:26 PM

54 cal. Hawken also. Patched round ball. I really enjoy shooting a traditional rifle. Got the powderhorn, and possibles bag as well.

Posted By: 7mag

Re: Roll Call - 02/13/06 03:20 AM

I got a 45 caliber for Christmas. Never have shot one, not even sure which end to drop the "sabot" and pellets. I'm actually looking forward to using next deer season. I bought a gas mask to go along with it, looking at others shoot, I may need it.

Posted By: Erich

Re: Roll Call - 02/23/06 11:01 PM

i shoot a hawken replica .54 sidelock. i shoot 435grn TC maxi balls, over 90grns of Pyrodex RS. i've hunted with it, but havent taken anything with it yet. the load is pretty accurate on paper. although i want to test it some more are more range. redchevy is my little brother. he shoots a .54 also. the carbine model of mine. he took that boar in kendal county where we hunt.

Posted By: texasgal

Re: Roll Call - 02/28/06 09:14 PM

Shoot an MTI Model 97 Whitetail Hunter, 50 Caliber. I have only shot it at a gun range; haven't hunted with it yet, but plan on practicing on hogs and then deer.

Posted By: hunter1st

Re: Roll Call - 03/19/06 02:58 PM

Have two. Hunted with my Traditions sidelock and have taken a few in Arkansas. Also travel to Florida and hunt a WMA with some buddys each January, since we tent camp purchased a Traditions in-line, easier to clean. Also hunted with a ML in Texas for the first time in Texas last year, at Aquilla. Missed getting a shot.

Posted By: RedR8dr

Re: Roll Call - 03/23/06 10:25 PM

I just bought a CVA Kodiak Pro .45 cal.
Don't know ANYTHING about muzzleloaders, except I'm going on an elk hunt in NM next Oct and can't wait.
What do you recommend shooting in it. The CVA site praises the Power Bullet but my guide says it is so bad most places will not let you use it.

Re: Roll Call - 03/26/06 03:16 PM

Quote:

I just bought a CVA Kodiak Pro .45 cal.
Don't know ANYTHING about muzzleloaders, except I'm going on an elk hunt in NM next Oct and can't wait.
What do you recommend shooting in it. The CVA site praises the Power Bullet but my guide says it is so bad most places will not let you use it.

I shoot PRB...But I have a side lock. My brother has a inline and he has been using Thompson center Shockwave Sabots. They seem to be pretty accurate. He was shooting at targets at 50 yards with good results. He was using 80 grains of 3F

He has a .45 cal. to. He was using No.8244 .45 caliber, 200 gr., Pkg of 15

Posted By: Jimbo

Re: Roll Call - 04/02/06 08:14 AM

45 is a little light for elk using a muzzleloader. Shot placement as with any rifle is the key. Guides may have concern regarding this fact. Just shoot the heaviest bullet you can. Most guides would prefer you used a 50 or 54 caliber for elk.

Posted By: drumslinger

Re: Roll Call - 04/07/06 02:58 PM

1862 Springfield .58 --U.S. Army.
I need a contact for inspection/general info.
This gun is in great shape and it would be a hoot to score a whtetail with it. I have just enough sense left not to, although I'm willin'. Somebody point me toward an expert before I load this thing up!!!!!!!
I need a source for checking it out, learning etc.

Re: Roll Call - 04/16/06 01:02 PM

Quote:

1862 Springfield .58 --U.S. Army.
I need a contact for inspection/general info.
This gun is in great shape and it would be a hoot to score a whtetail with it. I have just enough sense left not to, although I'm willin'. Somebody point me toward an expert before I load this thing up!!!!!!!
I need a source for checking it out, learning etc.

Check out http://www.muzzleloadingforum.com

Posted By: cuthand1

Re: Roll Call - 04/19/06 01:28 AM

Have a .50 CVA mountain rifle I got back in the mid 70's. A Kentucky long rifle .45 cal. Lyman Great Plains .54 perc. and a Lyman Great Plain .54 flint lock. Used to go do the mountain man thang at rondevoos but now just hunt with traditional bows and smoke poles.

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum