Texas Hunting Forum

Hunting hogs with a bow

Posted By: Nolanco

Hunting hogs with a bow - 04/05/23 11:16 AM

What kind of shots are you fellas getting -- yardage, elevation, etc. -- and what draw weight would you say should be minimum?
Posted By: passthru

Re: Hunting hogs with a bow - 04/06/23 04:18 AM

I like em 15 yards or less. From enclosed blinds on six foot platforms to tripods to 15 foot ladder stands. And there is always the spook and shoot process. Draw weight is something folks will argue for hours. Shoot as much as you can accurately and consistently. Sharpen your heads and go hunt.

Re: Hunting hogs with a bow - 04/06/23 01:32 PM

Passthru, fifteen yards sounds mighty sensible. Have you taken many up that close?
Posted By: ChrisB

Re: Hunting hogs with a bow - 04/06/23 02:32 PM

I’ve probably taken a couple hundred with a bow. Shots anywhere from 10-40 yards. I prefer fixed broadheads or used expandables so it’s not one and done. I find if you will aim 2-3 inches up the front leg from the belly that’s about the softest spot. And tends to get the heart.

Re: Hunting hogs with a bow - 04/06/23 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by Nolanco
Passthru, fifteen yards sounds mighty sensible. Have you taken many up that close?

Yes. But having enough patience to wait for the right shot, the discipline not to take shots that push my limits and a target rich environment often yields positive results.
I've killed a couple at three yards. One off my knees as he passed the tree that hid me.
Posted By: cos

Re: Hunting hogs with a bow - 04/06/23 11:42 PM

Use the cheapest arrows and broadheads you got. Your most likley going to loose the shaft if you dont get a pass through.

Re: Hunting hogs with a bow - 04/07/23 12:59 PM

Thanks fellas. Learning all I can about these critters.
Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: Hunting hogs with a bow - 04/08/23 07:25 PM

I prefer a 17 yard shot with a compound bow.

I’ve never killed a real big hog with a bow but have killed some 150 lbers.

I like big expandable 3 blades like a wasp or a grim reaper for a lot of damage and big blood trails.
Posted By: TexasResident1

Re: Hunting hogs with a bow - 05/01/23 06:09 PM

what arrow weight are yall usign for the sub 20 yard shot? and whats the placement heart shot, lungs?

Re: Hunting hogs with a bow - 05/02/23 03:04 AM

Originally Posted by TexasResident1
what arrow weight are yall usign for the sub 20 yard shot? and whats the placement heart shot, lungs?

530-575 grains. Depending on carbon or wood shafts.
Posted By: Sauerkraut

Re: Hunting hogs with a bow - 05/03/23 12:48 PM

I use a 450-500gr arrow for everything.

Re: Hunting hogs with a bow - 05/04/23 12:58 AM

433 grain arrow currently
Posted By: TexasResident1

Re: Hunting hogs with a bow - 05/04/23 01:35 PM

for yall over 450 into 500, what broad head are yall using and what weight ? ive got a grim reaper 3 blade but want to go to somehting like a single bevel in the 125 grain and would love a recomendation if thats yalls set up.
Posted By: Sauerkraut

Re: Hunting hogs with a bow - 05/04/23 06:05 PM

for yall over 450 into 500, what broad head are yall using and what weight ? ive got a grim reaper 3 blade but want to go to somehting like a single bevel in the 125 grain and would love a recomendation if thats yalls set up.

With my current setup, I use a 100 grain head, but I believe my inserts are 50gr. I like to be in the 12-15% range for FOC. I've been using Magnus Buzzcuts, but I think I"m going to give Sevr 2.0s a try for whitetail in the fall.

Re: Hunting hogs with a bow - 05/05/23 01:25 PM

if your switching from a Grim Reaper to a single bevel, you are going to be disappointed in the blood trails.

Kudu Point, Cutthroat make good 125 grain single bevel heads.

Re: Hunting hogs with a bow - 05/06/23 01:18 PM

Running 150 grain coc 2 blade heads on carbon arrows and 160 two blade coc heads on my wood arrows.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum