Texas Hunting Forum

Oneida is a sweet shooting bow

Posted By: 10 Gauge

Oneida is a sweet shooting bow - 02/04/23 02:24 AM

I finally got to shoot one, a 50 ib osprey at bass pro. Just shooting off the shelf, it was set up with finger savers like what’s popular with bow fishermen. The only feather arrows they had in there were flu flu arrow but man it shoots good and very quiet. I was grouping tight and hitting the bullseye in just a few shots. Only about ten yards but I for sure could not do with a compound what this osprey will do.

Are there any Oneida shooters on the forum?
Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: Oneida is a sweet shooting bow - 02/04/23 02:41 AM

We shot them when we bowfished back in the day.

For a hunting bow, I’m not sure there is anything an Oneida will do that a compound won’t do better.

You wanna shoot fingers or tabs and instinctively buy a recurve, you will be much happier.
Posted By: kmon11

Re: Oneida is a sweet shooting bow - 02/04/23 04:14 PM

I haven't shot one in years and not since Bass Pro bought Oneida. Seems Johnny Morris' son really liked the bows for bow fishing so they bought the company.
Posted By: JimBridger

Re: Oneida is a sweet shooting bow - 02/04/23 06:39 PM

I bought an Oneida Eagle back in the late 90’s. I had shoulder reconstruction done in July and was unable to draw my new Jennings Carbon Extreme compound even at its lightest setting of 55 pounds just days before the opening of bow season. I saw the Oneida hanging in my local bow shop and decided to give it a try. To my amazement i was able to draw it easily at 60 lbs. and hunted with it for the next few years. At the time it was the smoothest drawing bow on the market.
Posted By: 10 Gauge

Re: Oneida is a sweet shooting bow - 02/04/23 08:56 PM

They are smooth little bows. I shot a 35 ib recurve today and to me, the 50 ib Oneida was easier to shoot than the 35 ib recurve was. And probably a whole lot more powerful. I really want to get one.

I am gonna put it on hold for awhile though. They replaced my limbs on my compound under warranty and they accidentally sent 80 pounders. I really like the extra power of the limbs.
Posted By: huntinguyg

Re: Oneida is a sweet shooting bow - 04/03/23 03:49 AM

anyone have one?
Posted By: Black Duck Dog

Re: Oneida is a sweet shooting bow - 04/04/23 12:10 AM

Yes I have one I will get it out tomorrow and list it. Shot very little.
Posted By: ntxtrapper

Re: Oneida is a sweet shooting bow - 04/05/23 12:38 AM

I was a bow mechanic in an archery shop for years, and they were a money maker for us as far as repairs go, but a PITA for the owner's of them.
Posted By: Adchunts

Re: Oneida is a sweet shooting bow - 05/20/23 02:31 AM

Originally Posted by ntxtrapper
I was a bow mechanic in an archery shop for years, and they were a money maker for us as far as repairs go, but a PITA for the owner's of them.

I have a buddy that is a semi-pro archer and worked at a local shop for years. He told me that Oneidas paid for a lot of his hobbies back in the day.
Posted By: Kevin Heath

Re: Oneida is a sweet shooting bow - 05/23/23 06:54 PM

I used to hunt with one back in the day (early '90's), my problem was back then they were loud and not easy to make quiet. Only deer I ever had "jump the string" was one I shot at with Oneida eagle aeroforce ....mmmm, maybe
Posted By: passthru

Re: Oneida is a sweet shooting bow - 05/24/23 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by Kevin Heath
I used to hunt with one back in the day (early '90's), my problem was back then they were loud and not easy to make quiet. Only deer I ever had "jump the string" was one I shot at with Oneida eagle aeroforce ....mmmm, maybe

Just use a longbow.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum