Texas Hunting Forum

stone point weight questions

Posted By: bassmastar34

stone point weight questions - 05/13/22 04:21 PM

decided to dip my toes into traditional archery/arrow making. I have shot compound bows my whole life and shoot a fairly heavy shafts and broadheads. For those who hunt with stone points what grain weight do you typically aim for when making stone points. I have seen alot of opinions that 40-50 grain bird points with a heavy shaft is what people aim towards but this seems completely counter intuitive to anything ive used for my modern setups. I know the world of modern/traditional archery is completely different worlds but just trying to wrap my head around what is the correct weight forward of center or total arrow weight.
Posted By: kmon11

Re: stone point weight questions - 05/13/22 05:34 PM

Couple guys here that shoot stone points have posted lately using 120 to 125gr heads. I believe the cutting width of the head requirement does not change foe deer. Now for birds I do not know
Posted By: PrimitiveHunter

Re: stone point weight questions - 05/14/22 12:01 PM

As kmon11 stated, 120-125 grains shoot very well using full length 23/64” shafts from my longbow. Point weight can vary several grains with no noticeable effect on my bow. I start out with full length shafts because if I need to change points, I have to cut about 1/2” off. Over the lifetime of a shaft, it may lose 2” or more. Again, no noticeable effect on arrow flight. I can’t say whether it’s the dynamics of the bow or the fact that I don’t use sights or both. I just know it works for me. My points end up being 1-1/8” long and 1” wide.
Posted By: bassmastar34

Re: stone point weight questions - 05/14/22 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by PrimitiveHunter
As kmon11 stated, 120-125 grains shoot very well using full length 23/64” shafts from my longbow. Point weight can vary several grains with no noticeable effect on my bow. I start out with full length shafts because if I need to change points, I have to cut about 1/2” off. Over the lifetime of a shaft, it may lose 2” or more. Again, no noticeable effect on arrow flight. I can’t say whether it’s the dynamics of the bow or the fact that I don’t use sights or both. I just know it works for me. My points end up being 1-1/8” long and 1” wide.

i have made a few points that are weighting right at 110/135gr and found some videos talking about with traditional archery it is better to shoot heavily overspined arrows weighing almost 675/850 grains just for the shaft then putting extremely small barely legal width points. so i was just curious the wisdom of the crowd on this of if my points will work.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum