Texas Hunting Forum

Releases - Thumb vs Hinge

Posted By: dink93

Releases - Thumb vs Hinge - 02/09/22 07:11 PM

I am looking to make the switch from an index finger release to either a thumb or hinge release and was wondering if anyone had any good recommendations under/around $200? I would like to use one release for both target shooting and hunting, but am not sure what pros/cons there would be using a hinge release over thumb release, so hoping to get some input from others.
Posted By: RattlesnakeDan

Re: Releases - Thumb vs Hinge - 02/09/22 08:33 PM

I find it easier to pull back with a thumb release after fumbling for form with the standard release so I really like it. BUT....this is important, the thumb release has cost me a couple nice Axis deer this year, why???? Because when it is cold out and you are layered up with hoodies/jackets with collars etc...it is impossible to find your anchor point.
I now know to wear only sweatshirts and a thin facemask when cold. Just food for thought. (I also came home and shaved my beard because most of it was flying downfield with each shot)
As for a release I don't know, I just started shooting compound bows again has been since the 80"s so my experience and knowledge is not up to date so much.
Posted By: kmon11

Re: Releases - Thumb vs Hinge - 02/09/22 10:26 PM

For hunting I like the Tru-Fire Edge 4 finger release which is a thumb release. It works good enough for me. I have been using a thumb release since the early 80s.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum