Texas Hunting Forum

Cross Bows should not be cocked for longer than 8 hours?

Posted By: Cajun Raider

Cross Bows should not be cocked for longer than 8 hours? - 12/13/21 12:24 PM

May be a silly question but why not? Seems like that would be safer than cocking and decocking in the dark. Yes, I learned the hard way about cocking in low light conditions.
Posted By: RattlesnakeDan

Re: Cross Bows should not be cocked for longer than 8 hours? - 12/13/21 01:33 PM

There is a lot of tension on that small frame. They shoot more fps than a compound in a very small package,
Posted By: kmon11

Re: Cross Bows should not be cocked for longer than 8 hours? - 12/13/21 01:35 PM

Cocked crossbow is when the max pressure is on the Strings, Cables and Limbs and if that way too long will begin to weaken the limbs and stretch the strings and cables. I have seen crossbows that were left cocked for weeks loose over 100ft per second. Saw another that a limb cracked.

What issue did you have with one in the dark?

Re: Cross Bows should not be cocked for longer than 8 hours? - 12/13/21 02:30 PM

Thanks for your reply. The cocking lever, ten point, came loose while I was cocking it; and, strings and all went the front of the blind. Ended the hunt for that weekend. Now, I [censored] it in the afternoon, while light, then leave it cocked overnight and release it after next morning hunt.

Re: Cross Bows should not be cocked for longer than 8 hours? - 12/13/21 03:01 PM

Just keep an eye out for string stretch, measure axel to axel distance with it at rest and when it grows half inch or so have strings and cable replaced to keep it shooting at close to the same speeds is what I would suggest. I doubt you will have an issue with the limbs on a Tenpoint doing it like you are.

Working in an archery shop for years I have no idea how many crossbows I have shot and taught others to shoot plus warranty work and other work on them.

Are you using the accudraw or the cocking ropes and hooks or dead sled for you bow. One check a check that I do every time is pull back on it a little when I hood them on the string and visually or through feel if it is dark to see it is fully on the string and pulling evenly. Takes a bit of practice though to do that in the dark.

Re: Cross Bows should not be cocked for longer than 8 hours? - 12/13/21 05:01 PM

Thanks. Are you from Houston?

Re: Cross Bows should not be cocked for longer than 8 hours? - 12/13/21 09:45 PM

Nope. Have not been there in years.
Posted By: Old Rabbit

Re: Cross Bows should not be cocked for longer than 8 hours? - 12/14/21 02:08 PM

Get a quality headlamp with a bright Green or Red light on it. This is what my friends and I use and can see well while cocking ours in the dark.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum