Texas Hunting Forum

Upgrading from starter bow

Posted By: Dalep

Upgrading from starter bow - 11/16/21 03:45 AM

I’m a late onset hunter (first hunt was year after college). Bought a PSE beginner package and has served me well. Got more into rifles and never really spent more money on archery other then arrows through the years. Now I’m planning to jump more into bow hunting and need/want to upgrade. My thought is pickup a 2 year old bow that was a great bow when was released. Any suggestions on what to look for? I’m 5’9” and pull a 60lb bow currently. Any guidance welcome. Maybe $500 limit.

Dale
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Upgrading from starter bow - 11/16/21 01:09 PM

How old is the starter package? If you currently like it and it still shoots well, then why not continue to use it? Don't change what works. I had not shot or used a bow in about 15 yrs in 2014. I went to an archery shop and shot a couple of different bow brands and models. I bought a PSE Stinger RTH starter package from Cabela's to try and it ended up being a really good bow for the money. I used it for about 3 yrs when I upgraded to a 1 yr old Elite Impulse 31 bow. Both shot about the same for me and I finally loaned the PSE to a friend of mines son who wanted to get into archery hunting. If I had it to all over again...I would have just kept shooting the PSE bow I had and not bought the used Elite. I would have taken it to a better proshop and let them tune it for me. The bows today shoot much better at lower draw weights than my older bows at higher draw weights did. They are lighter, quieter and shorter and much easier to use in ground blinds.
Posted By: kmon11

Re: Upgrading from starter bow - 11/16/21 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by stxranchman
How old is the starter package? If you currently like it and it still shoots well, then why not continue to use it? Don't change what works. I had not shot or used a bow in about 15 yrs in 2014. I went to an archery shop and shot a couple of different bow brands and models. I bought a PSE Stinger RTH starter package from Cabela's to try and it ended up being a really good bow for the money. I used it for about 3 yrs when I upgraded to a 1 yr old Elite Impulse 31 bow. Both shot about the same for me and I finally loaned the PSE to a friend of mines son who wanted to get into archery hunting. If I had it to all over again...I would have just kept shooting the PSE bow I had and not bought the used Elite. I would have taken it to a better proshop and let them tune it for me. The bows today shoot much better at lower draw weights than my older bows at higher draw weights did. They are lighter, quieter and shorter and much easier to use in ground blinds.

PSE Stinger reminds me o a customer that bought one as his first bow, later bought a couple Hoyts and an Bowtech and a Mathews. Last time I saw him he said he still shoots the Stinger as good as or better than the other bows inside 40 yards. The faster bows start being an advantage to him past that with the higher end sights and faster bows. Last time I saw his stinger was when i replaced the strings and cables and of course did a full tune on it.
Posted By: kmon11

Re: Upgrading from starter bow - 11/16/21 02:58 PM

For the OP go shoot several bows at a good shop and see if any tickle your interest before making a decision.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum