Texas Hunting Forum

Bear Grizzly recurve

Posted By: txtrophy85

Bear Grizzly recurve - 10/28/21 03:43 AM

Anyone have any experience with them?
Posted By: 603Country

Re: Bear Grizzly recurve - 10/28/21 02:04 PM

I had one many years ago, when I was in my late teens. I think it was just a 45# pull. I missed a lot of deer with it, but it wasn’t the fault of the excellent bow.
Posted By: kmon11

Re: Bear Grizzly recurve - 10/28/21 06:01 PM

Good bows and shoot well, I just shot the Kodiak Magnum a little better in shooting them at our range otherwise I probably would have bought the Grizzly.
Posted By: Palehorse

Re: Bear Grizzly recurve - 10/28/21 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by kmon1
Good bows and shoot well, I just shot the Kodiak Magnum a little better in shooting them at our range otherwise I probably would have bought the Grizzly.

That has been my experience as well. The Grizzly, being shorter, might be more handy in a tree or in a blind. That extra few inches in length in the Kodiak Magnum seems to help the shootability IMO. I have an old Grizzly that belonged to my father. I also have a Kodiak Magnum "Black Beauty". I love shooting both but the Black Beauty I shoot better.

Re: Bear Grizzly recurve - 10/29/21 02:28 AM

Kodiak is the larger 60 inch AMO bow about the length the OP has. The Kodiak Magnum is a short one at 52 inch AMO which makes it very handy in the woods. It also is not as comfortable at my draw length with finger pinch but on it I shoot 2 under which that relieves that some. What I like most about the Kodiak magnum is the grip and its handiness in the woods or blind. Heck it is about the length of my first compound.
Posted By: ntxtrapper

Re: Bear Grizzly recurve - 10/29/21 04:26 AM

I have 5 Kodiak Magnums and 4 Kodiaks all made in Grayling. I like the Magnums for bowfishing and the regular Kodiaks for general hunting. My Grizzly's are the best for me for large game. I have 2 of them.

Re: Bear Grizzly recurve - 10/29/21 01:50 PM

I’m a short guy @ 5’6 so a short bow is gonna fit me better.

The Kodiak magnum is not available in left handed or that would have been one I looked hard at.

My current bow is 62” AMO and it’s too long. Gonna order short limbs for it to bring it down to 60” but I have high hopes for this 58” grizz

Re: Bear Grizzly recurve - 10/29/21 07:56 PM

talk about short bows, Super Mag 48.

Re: Bear Grizzly recurve - 10/29/21 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by kmon1
talk about short bows, Super Mag 48.

That may be a little too short. Only have a 40# in stock

Re: Bear Grizzly recurve - 11/13/21 03:28 AM

Have had the Grizzly for about 2 weeks now. I’m liking it a lot and I shoot it well.

I’ve put the satori up and it’s for sale.

I should have gone with the Grizzly from the get go
Posted By: passthru

Re: Bear Grizzly recurve - 11/13/21 02:45 PM

Go get it bloody!

Re: Bear Grizzly recurve - 11/13/21 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by passthru
Go get it bloody!

Hopefully will real soon.

Missed a 9 point last weekend. Shot over his back
Posted By: spacejunkie

Re: Bear Grizzly recurve - 11/15/21 05:34 PM

Got my 45# Grizzly back in 1970 and still have it. Went and dug it out and as soon my shoulder heals enough I will start shooting it again. New string and arrows and I will be good to go. Thanks for reminding me about it and enjoy yours.
Posted By: DeCurry

Re: Bear Grizzly recurve - 11/16/21 01:58 PM

Glad to hear your Grizzly is working out for you, they're nice bows. I have a handful of Bear bow models with my favorite being a '59 Kodiak reissue. Bear has a number of interesting updates for their 2022 catalog (the Kodiak is going to come in Grayling Green, "B" size Mag Riser finally, re-release of the Kodiak Hunter, etc).
Posted By: cbump

Re: Bear Grizzly recurve - 12/17/21 02:09 AM

What draw weight did you go with?

Re: Bear Grizzly recurve - 12/17/21 03:04 AM

Originally Posted by DeCurry
Glad to hear your Grizzly is working out for you, they're nice bows. I have a handful of Bear bow models with my favorite being a '59 Kodiak reissue. Bear has a number of interesting updates for their 2022 catalog (the Kodiak is going to come in Grayling Green, "B" size Mag Riser finally, re-release of the Kodiak Hunter, etc).

I actually just picked up a 59’ reproduction last week. Really a nice bow. Grip is a little slimmer than the Grizzly which I like. The feather rest is cool too.

I’ve only shot it about 5 times but it is a much snappier bow than the Grizzly and really zings those arrows.

Re: Bear Grizzly recurve - 12/17/21 03:05 AM

Originally Posted by cbump
What draw weight did you go with?

I went with a 55# on the Grizzly and a 60# on the Kodiak, which at my draw length should make it’s 47-48# and 52-53# respectively
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum