Texas Hunting Forum

SHOOTING THRU SCREENS

Posted By: jdickey

SHOOTING THRU SCREENS - 10/16/21 12:03 PM

I have heard for years that you can shoot thru the screens on a ground blind, but always thought that was rifle only.

Question is... can you shoot thru the screen ACCURATELY with a recurve or crossbow?
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: SHOOTING THRU SCREENS - 10/16/21 12:27 PM

Myself I would never do it with a mechanical broadhead, but have seen it done with a fixed blade on shot directly thru the mesh with crossbow and compound years ago. I just never felt comfortable enough to shoot thru the mesh when I was hunting. Years ago I heard about hunters shooting thru it but today(for me) I have not heard as many talking about shooting thru it.
Posted By: kmon11

Re: SHOOTING THRU SCREENS - 10/16/21 12:41 PM

I have done it before just testing when I got my first popup. With fixed blade broadheads I could see no difference in accuracy with fixed blade heads, at least inside 30 yards I think it was. One thing about the mesh it is harder to see through good if the sun is hitting it, or at least to my eyes.

Expandable heads have come a ways but shot one through that screen and one blade of the 3 opened and missed my dot by several inches if I remember correctly so I would not shoot them on game through it.

I never tried it but was cautioned as in never do about shooting it with a rifle through the mesh. Expanding very hot/burning gasses and nylon material doesn't sound like a good combination to me either.

Posted By: Ol Thumper

Re: SHOOTING THRU SCREENS - 10/16/21 12:47 PM

I’ve shot fixed and mechanical through it hundreds of times, I wouldn't hesitate to do it right now but I always did shoot a few practice shots through it if I changed heads or bought new material.

On shooting a rifle through it, it will blow it to shreds and you will have a basketball sized hole it it rofl been thr n done that many times as well.
Posted By: jdickey

Re: SHOOTING THRU SCREENS - 10/16/21 03:24 PM

Just wanted to get some experiences before I let loose on a big 8 that's been hanging around. Coming in like clockwork!
[Linked Image]
Posted By: ChrisB

Re: SHOOTING THRU SCREENS - 10/17/21 12:11 PM

I just leave the front window open. Why chance it.
Posted By: Master Plumb

Re: SHOOTING THRU SCREENS - 10/20/21 01:42 AM

That is a Dandy 8 tell us the story after he's on the ground. Good luck up
Posted By: FullDraw55

Re: SHOOTING THRU SCREENS - 10/21/21 08:52 PM

i have debated using my mess windows also but just leave the windows down. im to scared to chance it when a wall hanger walks out there.
Posted By: Dalroo

Re: SHOOTING THRU SCREENS - 10/22/21 01:42 PM

Yep, it burns. Not me, but buddy found out after melting the mesh with a shot. I do not shoot through the mesh with bow simply because I found it hard to see through unless the lighting conditions are near perfect.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum