Texas Hunting Forum

Sharpening Expandable Broadhead

Posted By: FullDraw55

Sharpening Expandable Broadhead - 10/06/21 04:21 PM

I killed a doe this weekend with my Montec G5 Deeadmeat expandable broadhead. I can tell you the Montec G5 Deadmeat did the job, that doe went down like hit by a rifle. I cleaned the bolt up(crossbow) and having to reflect the bolt. I cleaned up the Montec G5. Still seems sharp as heck. How many times do you reuse broadhead if they are working fine and do you re-sharpen them? I can get a wet stone and do a fixed broadhead but what about a mechanical broadhead.
Posted By: ChrisB

Re: Sharpening Expandable Broadhead - 10/06/21 06:44 PM

I only reuse mechanicals on hogs. Each deer gets a fresh one from me.
Posted By: kmon11

Re: Sharpening Expandable Broadhead - 10/06/21 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by ChrisB
I only reuse mechanicals on hogs. Each deer gets a fresh one from me.

Same here and have had several expandable heads that were bent so those were trashed. On some it is easy to replace the blades and if the rest of the head will pass the spin test then replace the blades and it is ready to rock and roll for anything. I want all the blades to be razor sharp before I will use it on game.
Posted By: Gemlin

Re: Sharpening Expandable Broadhead - 10/07/21 01:18 PM

You can clean them up and sharpen the blades. Its a lot of effort but it can be done.
Posted By: passthru

Re: Sharpening Expandable Broadhead - 10/07/21 06:15 PM

You can touch them up with a Lansky type sharpener or Rada. I never reuse a head without resharpening.
Posted By: JABHunting

Re: Sharpening Expandable Broadhead - 10/09/21 08:01 PM

Can you remove the blades? I have the Stay Sharp for replaceable blades and one for fixed. If you can remove the blades you should sharpen them to scalpel sharp. Even new ones are not as sharp as you think. If the blades wont remove, it may be difficult to sharpen them.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum