Texas Hunting Forum

High lung shot

Posted By: bigjoe8565

High lung shot - 08/31/20 01:23 AM

Is it uncommon that a hog won’t hardly leave a blood trail with a high lung shot? Shot a 180-200 boar and I know the shot was a little high, but found a half dollar size piece of lung where I shot him. I looked and looked for a blood trail and could never find one or him. Disappointed that I couldn’t find him, but with a chunk of lung blown out I assume he’s dead somewhere.
Posted By: Grizz

Re: High lung shot - 08/31/20 01:55 AM

That's not uncommon at all. With the combination of fat, mud stuck all over them, the cartilage behind their shoulders, and the high holes you may not get a blood trail. With the high holes alone they sometimes just bleed out on the inside and don't leave a blood trail. I just shot one with my 44 mag this weekend from a 10' tripod. I shot it a little high to account for the downward angle and I don't think I got a pass through. I know I hit her solid by the way she ran off, but I never found a blood trail.
Posted By: unclebubba

Re: High lung shot - 08/31/20 02:27 AM

I'd say it's common. Give it a day or two and then look for the buzzards.
Posted By: kmon11

Re: High lung shot - 08/31/20 02:44 AM

Not uncommon like already stated. I shot one quartering one day that did leave some blood, me with the help of my dog found her over 200 yards away and I had to put a finishing shot in her over an hour after the first shot. I had only hit one lung with the shot.
Posted By: bjankowski

Re: High lung shot - 09/05/20 01:00 PM

Hogs are very different, I shot one and looked like a blood bath as I followed the trail. The further I tracked it the less blood until there was only one drop on a rock and nothing else. It was like it just disappeared into thin air, never found her.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum