Texas Hunting Forum

How broke is it?

Posted By: TxHunter87

How broke is it? - 08/26/20 08:52 PM

Shooting my Mathews Chill R today and after my 2nd shot i heard a rattle.

i thought it was my quiver but took it off and kept tapping the bow till i found it was my top cam. i'm no expert to what all these little parts are called in the cam but in the pics you can see something came out of place and the limbs look to be separating from the cam. Even the bottom one is separating a little. The pin that holds everything together is slipping out as well.

Seeing if anyone knows what this is called, how bad is it. Thanks

Top Cam
[Linked Image]

Bottom Cam
[Linked Image]
Posted By: RJH1

Re: How broke is it? - 08/26/20 09:41 PM

Looks like the E clip is missing on one side. Probably an easy fix for a shop. Don't shoot it and take it in to a Mathews dealer
Posted By: kmon11

Re: How broke is it? - 08/27/20 01:26 AM

Originally Posted by RJH1
Looks like the E clip is missing on one side. Probably an easy fix for a shop. Don't shoot it and take it in to a Mathews dealer

Agree there should be an E clip on both sides holding the axel in place. Handle it with care and take it to the shop. Usually an easy fix but needs to be checked out, I have seen that just happen an other cases come from a twisted limb. Usually though it is just the E clip.

While checking that out is a good time for full chekup and service of the bow

Re: How broke is it? - 08/27/20 01:48 PM

yall are exactly right, its missing the e-clips on the top and botton on the same side of the bow.

i did reach out to Mathews as well who said the same thing. they said i may have to replace the cams and limbs.

im going to bring it into the bow shop where i got it and get all my work done at but how do i know if these parts really do need to be replaced?

How easily do the e-clips come off? i got new strings last year and havent got a chance to hunt with it since or bring it intot he feild just doing some pratice at home, i wasnt sure if a mistake was made then or if its common for them to come off pretty easily.

and anyone with a Mathews bow would this be coverd under warranty if parts do need replacing?

thanks yall!!
Posted By: RJH1

Re: How broke is it? - 08/27/20 04:34 PM

if you bought it new there's a chance it would still be under warranty, I'm not exactly positive what all their warranty covers. The e clips in my experience never fall off, the fact that they're both on the same side makes me think that maybe they didn't get stuck back on when your strings got put o, but I have no way to prove that. Also, if the bow shop's honest they're only going to replace what needs replacing. Good luck
Posted By: kmon11

Re: How broke is it? - 08/27/20 05:31 PM

Agree with what RJH said. It is not common for the E-Clips to come off but I have seen some in the past. One the missing clip was in the bow case, that one I wound up replacing one limb and E clip under warranty.

If it is covered under warranty it should cost you nothing. I know at on time if a Mathews was worked on by a non-Mathews shop it would void the warranty but if all service has been done at a Mathews shop I would expect it to be covered. Working at a non Mathews shop I would let my customers know that if they wanted me to do the work. Most of the brands other than what we carried we mostly did maintenance on second hand bows for potential warranty issues.
Posted By: JimBridger

Re: How broke is it? - 08/28/20 03:25 PM

The eclip came off of my Matthews Creed XS while on a Colorado Elk Hunt. Took it to the closest dealer and he fixed it free of charge.
Good you caught it before he cam pin slipped off the limb.

Re: How broke is it? - 09/14/20 07:32 PM

Update on this

Took it in and they replaced the e-clips, they seem to do a decent job to see if anything else was wrong but nothing in-depth like i kinda hoped and with my knowledge of bows i really didn't know what all to ask them to look into, they also did not replace anything just added the clips.

When i had spoke to Mathews about this issue, they seemed to think more than likely the cams and possibly the limbs would need replacing, but the shop didnt seem to think so.

shot at the bow shop and had to adjust the sight because i was now shooting high, told the guy who worked on my bow and said that is normal though i wasnt sure why.

next time i practice no problem but then the next 3 times i have shot something seems off.

In my whole archery career i have never lost a arrow due to missing a target such as a large Block target, i did miss a 3d target i didn't know the range of. in the last 3 times i have practice i have missed the target so bad i have lost 3 arrows. This is is no further than 26 yards, the distance i have practiced all year at and have been very good at.

My shooting doesn't make since at this point and i thought it was mental but even on my bad days before this i'm a few inches not almost a foot. 1 shot will be right on, the next will be a foot low, then maybe 4-6 inches low, then maybe 1 back on.

Since i thought it was mental i would stop shooting and give my self a day or two and then finally i went i shot again and my first shot a foot low and lost another arrow and decided no this isn't a mental thing there has to be something going on with the bow.

Now im going to go to a different bow shop because i feel this place i went to didn't do all they could of to really check everything, maybe im wrong on that but they just seemed to look at it, and not that closely as said everything was good. this also isnt the first time i have had a problem and they seem to just do a visual check and not find anything even though there actually was. Once before my drop away rest was un-level and until the few seconds it took to put a level on it they just seemed to think the issue was in my head.

To make sure i get this other shop to really look at everything what should i ask them to look at?
Do yall any any reason for having such inconstancy?(besides mental)
Any other advice would be helpful as well
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum