Texas Hunting Forum

Newer bow hunter

Posted By: Axis308

Newer bow hunter - 08/15/20 04:40 PM

Looking for a little advise. I have a very old Bear Compound I’ve been shooting for a while, and have finally found a good opportunity to bow hunt. I’d like to buy a newer bow. Any recommendations on a good “starter” bow that will get the job done? Recommended FPS???
Posted By: Tactical Cowboy

Re: Newer bow hunter - 08/15/20 06:03 PM

Shoot me a PM. I have one that would suit you well.
Posted By: HLo

Re: Newer bow hunter - 08/18/20 03:06 AM

Package bows from Cabelas, Bass Pro, etc. are a decent starter package if you want to save money to get into bow hunting. If you don't mind spending more money go to an Archery shop where someone typically knows a lot about bows, etc. and try out a few bows, etc. Usually will come with better sights, rests, accessories. All depends on your budget. Nothing wrong with an old Bear bow but the speeds and light weight of the modern bows have come a long way.

I believe older bows use to struggle to get over 250 FPS. Newer bows get over 300 fps. Both will work, just keep your shots between 20-25,,,,,maybe 30 yards and you should be fine.
Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: Newer bow hunter - 08/18/20 04:33 AM

Get a diamond infinity edge pro. Best starter package imo there is.

Old bows are loud, slow and harder to shoot. Great for their time but we have much better equipment now.
Posted By: kmon11

Re: Newer bow hunter - 08/18/20 02:18 PM

Diamond infinite edge Pro or for a little more weight which helps some the Edge SB-1. Sold a SB-1 to a customer that was in town working and found out there was an archery event going on he wanted to shoot in and bought a bow to shoot in it without spending a lot of #. Set it up for him and the next week he stopped by and said he came in 7th out of 50 something shooters. Overall he was happy for a package bow with the package setup.

The Infinite edge pro I have sold hundreds of and had reports back of elk, mule deer, prong horn, whitetail, hogs and some Sfrican planes game taken with them. They work fine for hunting and are light weight. Just sme shoot bows that are a little heavier better.

Try several before you buy and let the bow tell you which feels the beat to you.
Posted By: RJH1

Re: Newer bow hunter - 08/18/20 04:42 PM

I would look for something like a used mission ballistic, assuming you are pretty much grown. They are 50-70 pound draw and have draw length mods that can be switched easily without a press. The other main plus over something like the Diamonds listed above and things like the mission riot is that the Ballistic is a 330+ IBO bow. While fairly light it shoots more like a "real" bow and won't leave you wanting a faster bow in 6 months. They can be had fairly reasonable with little searching.

Good luck
Posted By: Coolarrow2

Re: Newer bow hunter - 08/18/20 11:59 PM

Axis bows are like new pickup trucks. Everyone has their own idea of best. I’m an old school bow hunter. Killed several deer with an old Bear whitetail hunter. The name on the bow don’t make any difference! Where the arrow hits the deer is everything. I shot Bear, went to Golden Eagle, to Browning, to Hoyt. I still have my old Hoyt. Killed tons of deer and hogs with it. 2002 model. Don’t let speed get in the way! A good quite hunting bow that you feel good with and can hit a spot when your falling apart with a trophy in front of you.. that’s what you want. I like a bow with a 7” brace height and in the 280 to 300 FPS speed. I shoot 60lbs. Max. Easy draw when cold. Magnus stinger 100g 4 blade fly like field points out of a tuned bow. That’s my .02 but it’s worked for me. Good luck! Bow hunting is awesome!

Re: Newer bow hunter - 08/27/20 02:54 AM

Thanks all. Going to look at several this weekend.

Re: Newer bow hunter - 08/30/20 01:34 AM

Went with the Bear Cruzer G2. Really liked the feel. Stacking arrows at 20yds.
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Newer bow hunter - 08/30/20 01:57 AM

Originally Posted by Axis308
Went with the Bear Cruzer G2. Really liked the feel. Stacking arrows at 20yds.

Good luck!

Re: Newer bow hunter - 08/30/20 02:51 AM

Good choice they did some nice improvements with the Cruiser 2 from the original Cruiser. Better sights and rest than the Diamond offerings in that price range. On the Quiver make sure to slide that little lock to the unlock position before removing it as I have seen a few of those locks broken by someone forgetting to do that.

Re: Newer bow hunter - 08/31/20 12:26 AM

Appreciate the tip on the quiver
Posted By: Walkabout

Re: Newer bow hunter - 08/31/20 12:54 AM

Bow season will be here before you know it. Sounds like you are dialed in. Your practice needs to be same as your hunting. If you are hunting with a quiver, practice with a quiver. You are shooting practice field points, you may need a new target and switch to broad heads. If you are hunting from a seated position practice the same. Shoot with a jacket on. You may need an arm guard to keep your sleeve off the string. Good luck this season.

Re: Newer bow hunter - 09/01/20 02:05 AM

Good stuff. Been working on all that.

Re: Newer bow hunter - 09/01/20 02:08 AM

[b][/b]

Have several pics of this guy and 3 other good bucks.

Attached picture 5CF89ABC-C749-457F-A63F-55BA856162D7.png

Re: Newer bow hunter - 09/01/20 02:20 AM

Good buck, hope to see you with him in a pic in the near future.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum