Texas Hunting Forum

crossbows

Posted By: Bow madness

crossbows - 12/25/19 08:01 PM

I'm sure I'll get hate for this, because I see it on every social media outlet, but, where's a good place for information on crossbows? Got one yesterday at my work Christmas party. It will never replace my Quest Rouge compound, but it didn't cost me anything so I thought I'd try it out.
Posted By: DQ Kid

Re: crossbows - 12/25/19 09:35 PM

Cabela's and Bass Pro can give you some good, free information on them. They also used to do free servicing like re-cabling and re-stringing with provided materials since they had the bow presses; guessing they still do. Field and Stream store in Prosper has a nice bow shop too with lots of x-bow stuff. Finally, Cinnamon Creek range and All Star bow in Lewisville I hear are good as well. Academy usually has a small bow shop too.
Posted By: kmon11

Re: crossbows - 12/26/19 02:56 AM

What type questions do you have? What X-bow I might be familiar with it

Re: crossbows - 12/26/19 03:02 AM

It's a Wilgame Innovations XB 380. The bolts that came with say Barnett Crossbows, so maybe it's made for WI. Trying to find out if the draw weight is adjustable like compounds or not. It's got a 185# draw weight. I put it together last night and was going to shoot it today, but couldn't get it pulled back.

Re: crossbows - 12/26/19 03:25 AM

Did it come with a cocking rope? One of those simple devices reduces that pull by about 50%.

It is not really recommended to turn the weight down on a crossbow like you can a compound.

Looks like it is made by Barnett

Re: crossbows - 12/26/19 03:36 AM

Barnett how to set your crossbow.

Posted By: swampthang

Re: crossbows - 12/26/19 03:41 AM

It didn't come with a cocking rope? If not you need to buy one. Makes it much easier. You could cok it bare handed but it might not be "centered" correctly in the trigger mechanism.
Posted By: llbts1

Re: crossbows - 12/26/19 05:11 AM

Crossbow Nation Forum is a good resource.

Re: crossbows - 12/26/19 03:34 PM

Yes it came with the rope. I tried again this morning, and can get the string up to the locking point, but the hooks on the rope seem to be in the way of the latch.

Re: crossbows - 12/26/19 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by Bow madness
Yes it came with the rope. I tried again this morning, and can get the string up to the locking point, but the hooks on the rope seem to be in the way of the latch.

I'm having trouble envisioning what you're saying. You are looping the rope in the "groove" behind the stock before taking the hooks down to the string correct? Not hooking them direct and pulling. Otherwise I don't see how the hooks could block the string from engaging the trigger.

Re: crossbows - 12/26/19 04:12 PM

Rope behind the scope rail, hooks on cable part of string, while pulling up, the hooks move toward each other and end up on top of the rail. The cable isn't engaging the trigger lock.

Re: crossbows - 12/26/19 04:15 PM

In fact what I did was slide the hooks as far apart as possible then use a tape to measure that distance.Then I used Liquid Paper to put a white mark EXACTLY halfway on the rope. That mark should be straight up(in the groove) before you start pulling the rope up/back. That will ensure you are pulling the rope with equal tension on both sides.

Re: crossbows - 12/26/19 04:19 PM

Rope behind the scope rail, hooks on cable part of string, while pulling up, the hooks move toward each other and end up on top of the rail. The cable isn't engaging the trigger lock.

Did you try attaching the hooks from "inside"(side facing stock).Mine works regardless of which way I attach hooks. Can you post a pic?

Re: crossbows - 12/26/19 04:28 PM

I started out with the hooks down, then turned them up.Won't let me log in on my phone.

Re: crossbows - 12/26/19 04:30 PM

I think you are mis-speaking when you say "hooks attached to cable". The hooks attach to the STRING right against the stock/rail. Not the cable. (technically the whole thing is a string)

Re: crossbows - 12/26/19 04:40 PM

I'm trying to log in from my iPhone so I can post pics, but not having any luck. Waiting for admin to get back with me. On mine, the cable is what is center of the bow. The cable is 6" in the center, and the strings are 4.25" on either side of the cable.

Re: crossbows - 12/26/19 04:49 PM

I looked at your model on Academy's website and there is nothing unique about it. Either the hooks are defective or you are just not attaching them properly. Maybe watch some youtube videos in slo-mo of how they attach hooks to string.

Re: crossbows - 12/26/19 05:38 PM

I guess I'm taking it back to Academy. I'm doing everything like the videos show, but it's not locking.
Posted By: ChrisB

Re: crossbows - 12/26/19 05:47 PM

Make sure the safety isn't already engaged. Some won't cok with the safety engaged.

Re: crossbows - 12/26/19 05:52 PM

Can you upload a video to youtube of yourself trying to cok it?

Re: crossbows - 12/26/19 06:00 PM

I don't have a YouTube account. I read through the setup instructions and it said to use an arrow to reset the latch. Now I can't take the safety off. There are 2 tabs that come down, but not when I pull the string into place. I'm thinking I'll just stick to my compound.

Re: crossbows - 12/26/19 06:12 PM

When I pull the string back into place, it will not engage the trigger mechanism.

Re: crossbows - 12/26/19 06:14 PM

I wouldn't give up so quickly,xbows are a hoot. I've hunted with one exclusively for the last 7-8 years. I shot compounds and recurves for about 25 years before that.Maybe take it by a bowshop that's also knowledgeable about xbows and let them take a look at it.

Re: crossbows - 12/26/19 06:18 PM

Will do. Thanks for all the input.

Re: crossbows - 12/26/19 06:48 PM

Told ya it was probably me. Went out back and shot my compound a few times. Picked up the xbow 1 more time and tried it. Turns out, I was hitting the scope mount and not going into the trigger box. Needless to say, my target setup isn't designed for xbows. Don't know if it's that the scope is off or trigger panic since I didn't know what to expect, but I nearly missed the target. Xbow target and case will be the next step. Thanks for everyone's input.

Re: crossbows - 12/26/19 07:33 PM

Glad you got it sorted out.

Re: crossbows - 12/26/19 09:02 PM

up

When you are pulling it back bring your hands back toward you like bringing them to you pockets will help keep the string on the rails.

Get it about 3/4 inch low at 10 yards then back out to 20 yards and get that top line on at 20 yards. A lot of crossbow scopes are 1/4 inch at 100 yards so about 20 clicks to move it one inch at 20 yards.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum