Texas Hunting Forum

Early season Pond. When????

Posted By: mphunter

Early season Pond. When???? - 09/24/19 02:35 PM

Hey guys! I’ll be hunting public land on Saturday. Found an active pond with lots of sign surrounded by bedding areas and lots of trails. I didn’t have time to put up cameras. What time of day would you guess would be best to sit the pond this early in the season? I really want to sit the morning as I will have my son with me and that is the easiest spot to get to with him. In the afternoon I’m going mobile with a saddle a long ways out. At least that my thought...I’d love to see your thoughts as to when you’ve seen more action at the water this early in the season.
Posted By: kmon11

Re: Early season Pond. When???? - 09/24/19 04:05 PM

I have seen deer drink water pretty much all day. Saw 5 doe at a tank at about 2pm on a 100+ egree day and a buck at another tank before sunrise. I have a feeder close a tank and deer often go there anytime of the day, i is also close to real active bedding area. Put a camera on that tank and pretty much got pictures of deer there all day and night
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Early season Pond. When???? - 09/25/19 01:46 AM

Very early morning before sunrise can be good at water on clear morning...cloud cover can make them move a bit later. Evenings can equally be as good if not better on hot days...time depends on tree cover around pond to shade it. When it is very dry and hot the ponds can be low, the fresh green growth at the backend of the low pond can be great hunting.
Posted By: krb017

Re: Early season Pond. When???? - 09/25/19 10:46 PM

Evening hunt. Don’t want to spook them out in the dark when it’s tougher to get around. Especially if they are bedded close by.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum