Texas Hunting Forum

Hello there

Posted By: Troy king

Hello there - 08/27/19 01:20 PM

Just thought id make my first post here amongst the folks with above average intellect and skills bolt ..Iv been a traditional shooter for about 30 years but have not done much in the last 5 or 6 years due to health and surgery issues ... however im back in the saddle and pumped up about this year's season, I have two teenage Sons who may be hunting with me this year so that's going to be a whole new thing....I shoot an Apache model longbow made by Roy Hall of Navajo bows in Henderson Texas.... I would be interested in meeting up with other trad shooters in the East Texas area....also im not very comfortable hunting in climbers or a lock on like i used to be, however I am intrigued by the saddle hunting system where you hang off the side of a tree... Is anyone here using that system?[Linked Image]
Posted By: kmon11

Re: Hello there - 08/27/19 02:36 PM

welcome Pull up a stump and stay a while.

There are a few Trad shooters on this forum. I like a couple sort recurves for hunting. Have a 45 and 50lb Bear Kodiak Magnum. After shooting compounds for years I shot one of the KM bows and fell back in love with trad shooting. Some days I shoot better than others with them but that is the way I have been all my life. Due to health issues I have not shot much in a couple yers but trying to get back into it now for this bow season. Only a little over a month away.

Good looking stick
Posted By: NORML as can be

Re: Hello there - 08/28/19 07:34 AM

welcome
Posted By: Jimbo

Re: Hello there - 08/29/19 02:29 PM

What is the saddle hunting system?
Are you talking about a chain on stand just a few feet off the ground?

Re: Hello there - 08/29/19 06:15 PM

Ok, I found out what a saddle hunting system is and it sounds like something I may try!....Not too far off the ground for me though!

Re: Hello there - 08/29/19 06:19 PM

It really does sound like the best of both worlds...I have access to thousands of acres of public land. The saddle system would give me a lot more freedom and mobility.

Re: Hello there - 08/29/19 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by Troy king
It really does sound like the best of both worlds...I have access to thousands of acres of public land. The saddle system would give me a lot more freedom and mobility.

Back in my younger days I would just go out into the deer woods and look for a good spot to sit, and if possible I'd climb into the crotch of a tree or bush that was just a few feet off the ground.
With this system you carry your stand in around your waist like a fanny pack, and just about any tree becomes a hanger for your stand.
Posted By: passthru

Re: Hello there - 08/31/19 02:47 PM

Welcome back. Just keep your shots close and you'll be fine. I'm pretty comfortable out to 25 yards but all of my hunting shots are set up 15 or less. Still a lot of time to practice and hone your form and release. Good hunting to you.

Re: Hello there - 08/31/19 04:42 PM

I agree with what passthru said!
I don't practice like I used to and the way that I should, but I've noticed that all that practice I did in seasons past has helped with muscle memory and it's almost like riding a bike, but you can really regress in a hurry if you try to over think it.
By the way I ordered one of those tree slings and plan on using it rather than messing around lugging a stool around. Here is the website.....www.SitDrag.com

Re: Hello there - 09/03/19 01:46 PM

Nice keep us posted.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum