Texas Hunting Forum

Who’s aiming to kill on opening day?

Posted By: txtrophy85

Who’s aiming to kill on opening day? - 08/25/19 11:11 PM

I normally hunt opening day more out of tradition than anything else, but this year I’m gonna have to make something happen quick, as I’m about out of deer meat.

Who else is going owning day in hopes of tagging a deer
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: Who’s aiming to kill on opening day? - 08/25/19 11:15 PM

On account of your guidance that I have, in fact, a decent old boy hanging out...me.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Who’s aiming to kill on opening day? - 08/25/19 11:23 PM

If the right one shows up I will fill my tag, if not then I will hunt till I get my chance.....if the neighbors does not get him first.

Re: Who’s aiming to kill on opening day? - 08/25/19 11:28 PM

Originally Posted by Creekrunner
On account of your guidance that I have, in fact, a decent old boy hanging out...me.

That’s a winning attitude right there!
Posted By: kmon11

Re: Who’s aiming to kill on opening day? - 08/25/19 11:30 PM

I will see what comes by and decide if tag will get punched that day or not.
Posted By: ChrisB

Re: Who’s aiming to kill on opening day? - 08/25/19 11:34 PM

I'll be in the stand. Haven't had much luck the first few weekends in the past. If a solo doe shows up arrows will fly.
Posted By: Paralax22

Re: Who’s aiming to kill on opening day? - 08/26/19 03:41 AM

Originally Posted by ChrisB
I'll be in the stand. Haven't had much luck the first few weekends in the past. If a solo doe shows up arrows will fly.

If she blows, she goes!!!
Posted By: Jimbo

Re: Who’s aiming to kill on opening day? - 08/27/19 03:46 AM

Opening day for me usually means whatever opportunity presents itself, and usually it's the heat and the skeeters or the acorns that win out.
My best openers have been sitting watching the trails leading to the oaks, as long as that old flop eared doe doesn't knock me off, sneaking in down wind of me.
Posted By: passthru

Re: Who’s aiming to kill on opening day? - 08/31/19 02:54 PM

Depends if a management or trophy shows. I still have meat left so that won't be my decision maker. It's all about the bone.
Now later in season as the meat supply runs down . . . Well, priorities get adjusted.

Re: Who’s aiming to kill on opening day? - 08/31/19 04:02 PM

Archery season is a great time to catch those trophy bucks being stupid since they are still in their bachelor groups in the first couple of weeks, and they don't wise up until they get alerted and educated by those old does that like to blow after circling down wind of you.
That first cool snap they split off from their groups and start tearing up the saplings making rubs and scrapes....My favorite time of year other than the full blown rut.
Posted By: Drahthaar

Re: Who’s aiming to kill on opening day? - 09/01/19 02:07 AM

Wish I could hunt, have to work. Forrest
Posted By: Texas buckeye

Re: Who’s aiming to kill on opening day? - 09/02/19 01:22 PM

My son wants to punch his tag for sure. I haven’t seen anything yet to get me pumped enough to lose a tag opener. We won’t be hunting opening day tho, we consider it opening weekend, that’ll be our first chance.
Posted By: Bobcat4119

Re: Who’s aiming to kill on opening day? - 09/03/19 04:43 PM

food
Posted By: djs303

Re: Who’s aiming to kill on opening day? - 09/04/19 02:39 AM

Archery season is when I take the opportunity to kill some management deer (does and inferior bucks) and put meat in the freezer. Where I hunt, archery season is also about the only time to hunt the main rut, so if Mr. Big shows, I will be trying to put my tag on him.
Posted By: scalebuster

Re: Who’s aiming to kill on opening day? - 09/04/19 02:56 AM

I hope a giant shows up opening morning. That’s the only morning I’ll sit in a blind.
Posted By: soonersorlaters

Re: Who’s aiming to kill on opening day? - 09/04/19 08:21 PM

I'll be perfectly happy letting the air out of a few pigs, which is my normal MO for bow season unless something really impressive steps out.
Posted By: Stratgolfer

Re: Who’s aiming to kill on opening day? - 09/04/19 09:08 PM

Just got a new crossbow today. This will be the first year I've "bow" hunted in 30 years.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Who’s aiming to kill on opening day? - 09/05/19 12:58 PM

If I go hunting im looking to shoot something... now if what I want to shoot shows up or not is a completely unrelated event.
Posted By: TiggerV

Re: Who’s aiming to kill on opening day? - 09/05/19 02:29 PM

My opening weekend is the same this year as it is every year....... Opening Morning is my "Trophy" morning. Saturday nite and Sunday and all further hunt are for fat healthy does, but still waiting on the big one
Posted By: Deer-getter

Re: Who’s aiming to kill on opening day? - 09/12/19 03:00 PM

only if the right buck shows up. I can take a doe anytime.
Posted By: crankbait745

Re: Who’s aiming to kill on opening day? - 09/22/19 09:43 PM

I'm hunting on public land. If it is brown,it's down. As long as it's legal.
Posted By: scalebuster

Re: Who’s aiming to kill on opening day? - 09/22/19 10:16 PM

My Papaw killed all 5 of his opening weekend of whitetail every year. He said he liked to get it over with and fill the freezer so he could get back to quail hunting. He liked mule deer hunting though and we would camp out for 10 days. He liked tent camping and would always kill a mule deer doe the first day for camp meat. I miss those times.

I’ll have one of my boys kill a deer opening morning and then turn loose the new bird dog pup and see if she can find a covey.
Posted By: Simple Searcher

Re: Who’s aiming to kill on opening day? - 09/23/19 12:29 AM

Looking at getting a few young does. Too dang many deer out there.
Posted By: Flashprism

Re: Who’s aiming to kill on opening day? - 09/28/19 09:28 PM

Dickens is a one buck county If a real big buck is within range I'll take him however I hope I just see some nice deer and I can keep hunting till thanksgiving and the rut
Posted By: Gemlin

Re: Who’s aiming to kill on opening day? - 09/28/19 10:42 PM

I was hoping to get a nice buck this morning but a group of hogs came in and chased them away.

All the hogs ran away seconds later when a chosen sow got speared with one of my arrows.

Evening so far is hot and windy.....

Re: Who’s aiming to kill on opening day? - 09/29/19 01:01 AM

Gonna head out in the morning.

Kids went to grandmas so me and the wife went to show a ranch and then hung out in Wimberly for the afternoon.

Did sling a pair of arrows and I’m dead on the money. Maybe there will be fortune in the morning.

Re: Who’s aiming to kill on opening day? - 09/29/19 01:18 AM

Go get 'em Tiger.

Re: Who’s aiming to kill on opening day? - 09/29/19 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by Creekrunner
Go get 'em Tiger.

tiger is on his way to get them.

we had a surprise rain shower last nite here at the house

Re: Who’s aiming to kill on opening day? - 09/29/19 11:23 AM

Yep heard it and was thankful. But...should be like hunting in New Orleans in August. laugh

Re: Who’s aiming to kill on opening day? - 09/29/19 11:42 AM

Just got in the blind.....wasn’t here 3 min before a deer winded me and blew and hauled Arse....yep, it’s bow season again grin

Re: Who’s aiming to kill on opening day? - 09/29/19 12:02 PM

Major cool down this morning!....Yesterday it was 82 at 5 am when I left the house, and now I see it's a cool 79 and I'm sitting here at the house on my computer.

BTW the deer were moving good all morning so you should be seeing deer!

Re: Who’s aiming to kill on opening day? - 09/29/19 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by Jimbo
Major cool down this morning!....Yesterday it was 82 at 5 am when I left the house, and now I see it's a cool 79 and I'm sitting here at the house on my computer.

BTW the deer were moving good all morning so you should be seeing deer!

I’ve seen about a dozen axis, several doe and a real nice 130 class buck. Unfortunately that was along the road on the way to the property!

I’ve just seen one doe, everyone knows the old shrew, she just sits and stares and stomps and never eats. Had her at 24 yards and wanted to get her a few steps closer and she never did come as far as I wanted her too. It wasn’t her time I guess because she would have caught an arrow.

Re: Who’s aiming to kill on opening day? - 09/29/19 12:53 PM

Now I have [Linked Image]
doe and two fawns

Re: Who’s aiming to kill on opening day? - 09/29/19 02:47 PM

Called it about 8:45.

A little early but have to make it to my sons baseball game.

Wind was swirling all morning and the acorns are dropping.

Hard time of the year if you want a lot of action
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Who’s aiming to kill on opening day? - 09/29/19 05:09 PM

I had better activity on bucks late yesterday afternoon about 10 minutes after sunset. Had 4 bucks come inside 35 yards and 3 were within 15 yards. One mature 10 pt, two middle age 8 pts and one 6 pt. This morning was 81 deg with 90% humidity. Saw 3 does and 1 fawn. They were spooked by something off to my west I could not see but they could. About 8:40 I saw some turkeys out in a spring food plot about 250 yards away.

Re: Who’s aiming to kill on opening day? - 09/30/19 02:32 AM

I'm gonna try and make a Wednesday evening sit and maybe a Thursday morning, Then hit it again over the weekend
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Who’s aiming to kill on opening day? - 09/30/19 09:13 PM

I got blood thirsty with rifle sept 5 and it’s been down hill with the bow since then roflmao I got my arse handed to me last part of Sept. I figured I should just wait until oct for a fresh record.

Posted By: Palehorse

Re: Who’s aiming to kill on opening day? - 10/01/19 12:05 PM

I didn't see the buck I wanted so I settled for a little 3 pointer. Now that I have some meat in the cooler, I can be a little more choosy.
Posted By: TKandMike

Re: Who’s aiming to kill on opening day? - 10/01/19 07:25 PM

saw a bunch of deer moving both morning and evening which surprised me.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum