Texas Hunting Forum

recurve or compound

Posted By: colt45-90

recurve or compound - 05/06/19 12:23 AM

I am thinking of getting into a recurve, if you pull a 60lb compound, what would comparable recurve be?
Posted By: Palehorse

Re: recurve or compound - 05/06/19 12:55 AM

Originally Posted by colt45
I am thinking of getting into a recurve, if you pull a 60lb compound, what would comparable recurve be?

That depends on what let off your compound is. I would suggest you buy an inexpensive takedown recurve with no more than about 45# limbs. As you get stronger and you get your form perfect, you can gradually move up into your desired weight. Something like a Samick Sage can affordably get you going and you can buy replacement limbs as you move up. Truth is though, a 45# bow will drop a deer just fine.
Posted By: kmon11

Re: recurve or compound - 05/06/19 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by Palehorse

That depends on what let off your compound is. I would suggest you buy an inexpensive takedown recurve with no more than about 45# limbs. As you get stronger and you get your form perfect, you can gradually move up into your desired weight. Something like a Samick Sage can affordably get you going and you can buy replacement limbs as you move up. Truth is though, a 45# bow will drop a deer just fine.

Very good advice
Posted By: 10 Gauge

Re: recurve or compound - 05/07/19 05:23 PM

I don't believe a 60 pound compound can sling an arrow any harder than a 60 pound traditional bow. The trick is the compound can sling an arrow faster, so it can get more power with lighter arrows. But a recurve or longbow is more efficient with the heavier ones. And heavy arrows penetrate better but don't shoot as flat.
Posted By: JABHunting

Re: recurve or compound - 05/07/19 08:37 PM

Compared to what? In other words, are you comparing the resistance of pull before the let-off, or the draw weight overall? A 60# compound has the same draw weight as a 60# longbow or recurve (for the same draw length). If you are looking to compare how hard it is to pull and hold, the compound would depend on the efficiency of cams, valley and break point. Directly, a 60# compound with 75% let off would compare to a 15# recurve in resistance during draw and hold. Another way to compare is to use the overall resistance and force necessary to overcome. Oversimplified, a recurve would be 15# less than whatever compound to share similar overall resistance. A 50# compound shooter should be capable of pulling and holding through release a 35# recurve. The 60# compound shooter can handle a 45# recurve. These are generalities but serve as a good guideline.

Re: recurve or compound - 05/07/19 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by regularguy11B
I don't believe a 60 pound compound can sling an arrow any harder than a 60 pound traditional bow. The trick is the compound can sling an arrow faster, so it can get more power with lighter arrows. But a recurve or longbow is more efficient with the heavier ones. And heavy arrows penetrate better but don't shoot as flat.

Mind telling me how that can be? Ever tried it with the same heavy arrows? I have

Something to consider when comparing compounds to recurves. A compound will send the same weight arrow faster than a recurve of the same poundage and the arrow from the compound will penetrate further in that case, it is simple math. Faster of the same weight will yield deeper penetration to the faster of the arrows.

The came design of compounds keeps the arrow is under higher forces for longer travel than a recurve which is at its highest only at full draw then decays quickly where it is a ramp up then slower taper off to nothing under a compound.

Recurves are rated generally at 28 inches of draw, If you pull it 29 inches it will be a few pounds heavier but if you only draw at 28 inches it will be a few pounds lighter, A compound reaches its full poundage before full draw so what ever it is set at according to a scale it is that value.
Posted By: 10 Gauge

Re: recurve or compound - 05/08/19 02:17 AM

Well then I don't know. All I have done with a bow is bowfish other thsn shoot targets of course. I never saw any advantage slinging those heavy fiberglass arrows, other than it's easier to hold back.
Posted By: HWY_MAN

Re: recurve or compound - 05/08/19 12:17 PM

Grew up with recurves and switched to compounds back in the late 70's. Shot them for many years but have since moved back to recurves, just have to change my methods of hunting. Both of my compounds are set at 60 while my recurves run between 45 and 50. There's something about the simplicity of the old stick and string that keeps pulling me back. I've got 5 recurves and two compounds. Somebody mentioned replaceable limbs that the take downs offer and I agree 100%, two of my recurves are take downs. I've got three sets of limbs for my Martin take down.

Re: recurve or compound - 05/08/19 07:40 PM

thanks for the response, here is the deal, I have low back issues, my point in doing this, is to get myself moving more, I would not be able to hunt, something else to keep me out of the recliner. thanks
P.S. i have always thought the long bow is neat, in years past I hunted with a compound.
Posted By: passthru

Re: recurve or compound - 05/08/19 10:54 PM

popcorn

Re: recurve or compound - 05/09/19 12:19 AM

Colt45, for that I would just get a 30 or 35lb recurve some feather fletched arrows and have fun. Not that expensive and gets ya moving without being taxing. I had a 30lb recurve that I shot for a while just getting back into recurve shooting.
Posted By: JABHunting

Re: recurve or compound - 05/09/19 01:02 PM

You can easily shoot targets with a 30-35# stick bow. I hunted with a 38# recurve for years and it is adequate on whitetail with the right arrow and within the appropriate range. With the stick bow you will be pulling back the whole weight and holding it. If you have an attraction to one it will be virtually bomb proof and is a lot of fun. For a compound you would still need to pull the majority of the draw weight before it breaks and the let-off begins. You need a compound bow that has an adult sized draw length and a light draw weight. Not all will adjust like that. The Mission Radik, Bear G2 and Martin REV come to mind. You can have your draw length and draw weight down in the 20# range.

Re: recurve or compound - 05/09/19 04:35 PM

kmon1, JABHunting, thanks, sounds exactly what I had in mind., now if it will just quit raining
Posted By: Tactical Cowboy

Re: recurve or compound - 05/13/19 04:39 PM

Pm sent. I have a couple light weight recurves I’m selling.

Re: recurve or compound - 06/02/19 01:19 AM

finally getting set up, got my arrows today so will be setting up target.

Re: recurve or compound - 06/20/19 09:52 PM

took some advise, I reordered arrows, I initially started with the same length arrow that I shot compound, just got another set, I ordered 3" longer and am amazed at the improved accuracy, my pull length for compound was 26.75, the first arrows are 28", this set is 31", do I need to go longer?, I shot 3, all were in a 1'' circle
Posted By: flintknapper

Re: recurve or compound - 06/22/19 01:05 PM

took some advise, I reordered arrows, I initially started with the same length arrow that I shot compound, just got another set, I ordered 3" longer and am amazed at the improved accuracy, my pull length for compound was 26.75, the first arrows are 28", this set is 31", do I need to go longer?, I shot 3, all were in a 1'' circle

No need to go longer. The most likely explanation for the improved accuracy is that the longer arrow is probably less stiff (spined) and can bend around the riser better upon release. Compound bows are Center Shot...so you can get away with a shorter, lighter, heavier spined arrow.

You will also want to play with tip weight. There will be a certain percentage (weight forward of center) that your arrow and bow will like. Brace height is another thing you can experiment with to help find the perfect 'tune' for your recurve.

Start out slow, don't shoot too many arrows a day until your upper back and shoulder muscles increase in strength. After awhile...you will have no trouble pulling the bow.

Have fun.

Re: recurve or compound - 06/22/19 01:48 PM

thanks FP, I shoot 3-5 arrows at a time, couple times a day, found out quickly that my back can only take so much, do field points come in different weights?

Re: recurve or compound - 06/22/19 02:21 PM

Yes field tips and broad heas come in various weights. 3Rivers Archery is the online source for about everything you can think of and lots you do not find in mostly compound archery shops.

https://www.3riversarchery.com/search.html?w=field+tips

Re: recurve or compound - 06/22/19 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by kmon1
Yes field tips and broad heas come in various weights. 3Rivers Archery is the online source for about everything you can think of and lots you do not find in mostly compound archery shops.

thanks, bought some arrows that were supposed to with turkey feathers, didn't know turkey's grew plastic
Posted By: RJH1

Re: recurve or compound - 06/23/19 02:37 AM

Originally Posted by kmon1

thanks, bought some arrows that were supposed to with turkey feathers, didn't know turkey's grew plastic

Where did you buy them?
Posted By: passthru

Re: recurve or compound - 06/23/19 05:51 PM

You might go to Texasbowhunter.com and look in the traditional forum. Not only are there several knowledgeable folks there, not saying Kmon and RJ aren't because they are, but they have sticky threads chock full of information to help you get rolling and might save you some money and frustration.
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: recurve or compound - 07/02/19 02:10 PM

Tune the arrow to the bow, traditionally can be a little more finicky the compound to tune, just because form is so much more apparent.

AAE just came out with legitimate traditional vanes.

Most Trad set up end up with heavier arrows and tip weights so if you end up tuned out between 500-600 don’t be surprised.

Kudu point makes crew in weight adaptors 25-75gr that work well

Re: recurve or compound - 07/04/19 11:16 PM

agree with the tune on the compound, the shop that I bought my compound from had it ready to shoot when I left with it, it is fun with the recurve, its been challenging to get it right
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum