Texas Hunting Forum

Gun season is starting

Posted By: ChrisB

Gun season is starting - 11/01/18 04:17 PM

How many of us are sticking with a bow now that the gun hunters are joining us?
Posted By: sqiggy

Re: Gun season is starting - 11/01/18 06:56 PM

I don't remember the last time I took the rifle out.
Posted By: kmon11

Re: Gun season is starting - 11/01/18 07:11 PM

I usually switch to the rifle. AWill be using a revolver this year
Posted By: Paralax22

Re: Gun season is starting - 11/01/18 11:00 PM

West Texas I have I use the Rifle. Close to home I will carry the bow
Posted By: passthru

Re: Gun season is starting - 11/04/18 09:06 PM

My lease and my personal ranch are bow only for deer seasons. Pigs in the off season not so strict.
Posted By: CB327

Re: Gun season is starting - 11/04/18 09:06 PM

Until the leaves drop I have some stands that a rifle is overkill. I bow hunt them when I don’t see deer on my rifle stands. Especially when windy or rain conditions.
Posted By: Bobcat4119

Re: Gun season is starting - 11/13/18 09:01 PM

Both!
Posted By: Grizz

Re: Gun season is starting - 11/14/18 01:45 AM

I bow hunted morning and evening on opening day. The plan was to bow hunt all weekend, but the wind shifted out of the north for Sunday morning. That killed my bow stand so I grabbed the rifle.
Posted By: TiggerV

Re: Gun season is starting - 11/14/18 10:18 PM

Well, I took my crossbow and an OLD iron-sighted rifle out last weekend. Nice buck shows up. My son on his 1st deer trip sees him 1st and nearly explodes. Got me so excited, I couldn't decide what weapon to shoot. Realized deer was out of reasonable reach of XBow. Then it moved further. Grabbed the rifle and missed with it. Gonna just take one next time for less things to think about.
Posted By: millerliteliker

Re: Gun season is starting - 11/24/18 01:57 PM

Bow only. The thrill and challenge of getting a bow harvest just can't be replicated by a rifle.

Now, in December on the coldest days I do exit the trees and go to ground blinds for my hunts. I honestly don't know how our northern bow hunting brothers can hunt out of tree stands in single digits.

I am a self admitted wimp when it comes to that!
Posted By: Stickchunker

Re: Gun season is starting - 11/24/18 08:59 PM

Both!

I always take both to the lease during rifle season, if i get a good wind for my bow stands, i'm hunting with my bow.
Posted By: ChrisB

Re: Gun season is starting - 11/25/18 02:15 AM

I'm on a bow lease so we are mostly bow only. I may break out a rifle for doe and spike season but I only see nice bucks for that season.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum