Texas Hunting Forum

Name and Address on Arrows

Posted By: MathMan

Name and Address on Arrows - 07/29/18 06:35 PM

Was it ever the law in Texas to have your name and address on your arrows?
Posted By: kmon11

Re: Name and Address on Arrows - 07/29/18 07:47 PM

Yes it was, when I started bow hunting in Texas in 89 it was the law. I do not remember when that changed. Also there were strict regulations about having a firearm during bow season even just around camp.
Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: Name and Address on Arrows - 07/30/18 04:24 AM

When I was a kid it was the law then it changed.

I started bow hunting (using that term very loosely) in 97’ or 98’ and you didn’t have to have any info on your arrows
Posted By: sqiggy

Re: Name and Address on Arrows - 07/30/18 08:28 PM

Originally Posted By: MathMan
Was it ever the law in Texas to have your name and address on your arrows?
So, did you win or lose that bet??? whistle
Posted By: White Falcon

Re: Name and Address on Arrows - 07/31/18 12:39 PM

Yes!
Posted By: Always ready 2 hunt

Re: Name and Address on Arrows - 08/06/18 10:46 PM

Yep and no firearm, pistol in your possession or in your vehicle back in the older archery days
Posted By: RattlesnakeDan

Re: Name and Address on Arrows - 08/26/18 11:45 AM

Years ago when I lived in Colorado we came to Texas to bowhunt the King Ranch, the outfitter had us write our names on every arrow and 1 guy who got caught w/no name on one of his in the quiver got thrown out with no questions asked. They were from out of state so his buddy had to leave also, bet that went over well after they left.
Posted By: 1860.colt

Re: Name and Address on Arrows - 08/26/18 02:33 PM

Originally Posted By: Always ready 2 hunt
Yep and no firearm, pistol in your possession or in your vehicle back in the older archery days

scratch i remember dem days, still got some arrows from da air.
flag
Posted By: pigplinker

Re: Name and Address on Arrows - 09/03/18 07:13 AM

Originally Posted By: colt.45
Originally Posted By: Always ready 2 hunt

scratch i remember dem days, still got some arrows from da air.
flag

Yea I was cleaning out some stuff and found some the other day with mine on them, but it was before 911 addressing so I don't think that root and boxx number works anymore. LOL. Yea it was very clear that you better not have a firearm anywhere in the area while bow hunting. Took my first doe with an old recurve I still have.
Posted By: millerliteliker

Re: Name and Address on Arrows - 09/05/18 03:45 PM

Name and address was true..not sure when that changed.

They did change the firearm law to allow a firearm as long as you had a CHL. That was what prompted me to get a CHL - I wanted a side arm when I was trying to recover an animal, especially a hog. I still don't carry a sidearm except when hog hunting. I actually don't carry anymore when deer hunting. Any amount of extra weight climbing a tree stand bothers me.
Posted By: dixie308

Re: Name and Address on Arrows - 09/08/18 03:16 AM

It was also illegal to have a field point in your possession while deer hunting.
Three of us were bow hunting at the Aransas NWR. On our way down we stopped and bought a sharpie and wrote our name and address on the aluminum shafts and plastic fletching. On our way out of the NWR on the first day the game wardens stopped us to check us out. One young warden spit on his fingers and rubbed and rubbed till he smeared some of the sharpie ink he then proceeded to write two of my friends a ticket for not having the arrows properly marked.
To say the least I was livid he threatened me twice to take me to jail for telling him what the law book said which was all arrows while deer hunting had to be marked with the hunters name and address in a non water soluble ink. It didn’t mention anything about not being able to rub and spit and rub some more till the ink smeared. I still get fired up when I think about it.
Posted By: ptlmg

Re: Name and Address on Arrows - 09/08/18 09:27 AM

I remember those days as well. They GW would check to make sure every arrow was marked.
Posted By: Always ready 2 hunt

Re: Name and Address on Arrows - 09/12/18 10:24 PM

Originally Posted By: dixie308
It was also illegal to have a field point in your possession while deer hunting.
Three of us were bow hunting at the Aransas NWR. On our way down we stopped and bought a sharpie and wrote our name and address on the aluminum shafts and plastic fletching. On our way out of the NWR on the first day the game wardens stopped us to check us out. One young warden spit on his fingers and rubbed and rubbed till he smeared some of the sharpie ink he then proceeded to write two of my friends a ticket for not having the arrows properly marked.
To say the least I was livid he threatened me twice to take me to jail for telling him what the law book said which was all arrows while deer hunting had to be marked with the hunters name and address in a non water soluble ink. It didn’t mention anything about not being able to rub and spit and rub some more till the ink smeared. I still get fired up when I think about it.

At least your name/address did not smear on yours. I strongly suspect I would have been taken to jail in your case and I hope your buddies at least fought that with the Judge. Many young whipper snapper GW back in the day tried to make a name for themselves quick IMO.
Posted By: Lalo

Re: Name and Address on Arrows - 09/13/18 02:53 AM

Forgive my ignorance, but what was the purpose? So if your deer died with the arrow still in it a mile away they could come get you?
Posted By: kmon11

Re: Name and Address on Arrows - 09/13/18 04:13 AM

I used cable raps used in the electronic industry basically a small arrow wrap with a clear portion wrapped around white where my info was written. GW known as one issueing more tickets than any other in the state checked them and could not find fault with it dispite rubbing it and trying to peal it off. Once they were on you had to cut them of the arrow and then solvent to remove the sticky residue.
Posted By: 1bigbill

Re: Name and Address on Arrows - 11/05/18 03:13 AM

In 67 & 68 possum kingdom was open for bow hunting. If you found an arrow that was marked’, you had a free Doe arrow.
Posted By: WCI

Re: Name and Address on Arrows - 01/05/19 07:32 AM

We used to make small paper tags and then cover on arrow with clear scotch tape.

Wilk
Posted By: D Rogers

Re: Name and Address on Arrows - 01/08/19 07:04 PM

Im guessin I too k it up long after the regs changed, but that explains finding my dad's info on some of his old aluminum arrows
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum