Texas Hunting Forum

Hunting on Less Than 10 acres

Posted By: FayetteCo

Hunting on Less Than 10 acres - 09/25/17 03:05 PM

My residence in Fayette County is just under 5 acres, is in a platted subdivision in unincorporated county and is overrun with deer. I have tried unsuccessfully to see if the county has adopted the no hunting rule under Local Government Code 235.022 on lots less than 10 acres. I contacted the local game warden and he didn't know.

I have a nice spot that I can set up a ground blind that is difficult to see from most any vantage point.

Can anyone advise me on whether or not it would be legal to stick a few deer during archery season on my property?
Posted By: Palehorse

Re: Hunting on Less Than 10 acres - 09/25/17 03:24 PM

When you stick a deer, and he runs off into the neighbor's property (and he will), what then? Will they give you permission to go after it?
Posted By: Wooties

Re: Hunting on Less Than 10 acres - 09/26/17 08:16 AM

I was under the influence that in the state of Texas they can refuse you access to retrieve the game, but if tpwl show up to retrieve it for you they can not refuse him. I heard this in my hunter education class when I was 13 or 14 btw so idk. That's been nearly 20 years ago.
Posted By: Jimbo

Re: Hunting on Less Than 10 acres - 09/26/17 11:34 AM

If your ten acres was square and you were hunting directly in the middle of it the chances of the deer running into your neighbors property with an arrow stuck in it are pretty high.
Now if you have neighbors that would be cool with it, is the main question.
I doubt that the Game Warden would stick his neck out on that one, but you can try.
Better to ask, but I wouldn't want to face the wrath of Peta supporters.

Re: Hunting on Less Than 10 acres - 09/26/17 12:12 PM

All of my neighbors are supportive of my harvesting a few deer. I have discussed the possibility of having to retrieve the deer from their property and they are more than happy to allow me to do so.
Posted By: RockDocJoe

Re: Hunting on Less Than 10 acres - 09/26/17 05:17 PM

I can't talk to the legality of it, but if your neighbors are alright with it, then I'd say go for it.

Definitely share the meat, have a dinner party, get them excited about you hunting in the neighborhood!
Posted By: Las Colinas Hunter

Re: Hunting on Less Than 10 acres - 09/26/17 06:43 PM

Do it! If the game warden is okay and your neighbors are on board - I'm not sure there is an issue.
Posted By: Tactical Cowboy

Re: Hunting on Less Than 10 acres - 09/26/17 08:55 PM

Go for it!
Posted By: passthru

Re: Hunting on Less Than 10 acres - 09/26/17 11:23 PM

Use a Rage. You put it in the lungs they won't make the property line.
Posted By: Jimbo

Re: Hunting on Less Than 10 acres - 09/26/17 11:41 PM

Originally Posted By: FayetteCo
All of my neighbors are supportive of my harvesting a few deer. I have discussed the possibility of having to retrieve the deer from their property and they are more than happy to allow me to do so.

That is cool! up
Just don't shoot one that has a little red collar and bell.........JK

Re: Hunting on Less Than 10 acres - 09/27/17 12:46 AM

Originally Posted By: Jimbo

That is cool! up
Just don't shoot one that has a little red collar and bell.........JK

I don't care who you are, that's funny.

SWMBO feeds them corn in the back yard. They hear the bucket and they stand at the fence wagging their tails waiting. She hasn't named them yet, says she won't name them until they eat out of her hand.

She does like to eat venison so she doesn't mind be if I harvest a few.
Posted By: Palehorse

Re: Hunting on Less Than 10 acres - 09/27/17 12:47 AM

Then get ya some good venison recipes! food
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Hunting on Less Than 10 acres - 09/27/17 04:07 PM

Have you checked to see if the subdivision has restrictions? Most acreage subdivisions have rules about hunting.

Re: Hunting on Less Than 10 acres - 09/27/17 09:06 PM

The subdivision has deed restrictions but I can't recall about hunting.

The developer tried to turn over the the controls over to an HOA but the residents declined to form the association. The developer didn't enforce the restrictions on multiple properties and didn't document any variances to the restrictions like setbacks, RV storage, materials of construction and others. If anyone was to object based on deed restrictions they would have a tough time. There are no public areas, no association dues, nothing. Essentially the restrictions are unenforceable.

The developer is one of my neighbors and he doesn't have a problem with me harvesting deer.
Posted By: J.Monaghan

Re: Hunting on Less Than 10 acres - 09/27/17 09:16 PM

Talk to adjoining neighbors first...
Posted By: StrosFan

Re: Hunting on Less Than 10 acres - 10/01/17 06:32 AM

If the neighbors are good with it I would go for it!
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum