Texas Hunting Forum

Favorite tree stand for bow hunting?

Posted By: ImTheReasonDovesMourn

Favorite tree stand for bow hunting? - 05/09/16 11:12 PM

I posted this question in the blinds/feeders section but I've only gotten one comment, so I figure I'll post it here since I'm not the only one that would like to hear opinions on the matter.

So what do y'all prefer for bow hunting? Ladder, climber, hang-on? Any specific brands? Specific height? Any tips would be appreciated.
Posted By: Aggieman775

Re: Favorite tree stand for bow hunting? - 05/10/16 02:01 AM

I like ladder but I have only gun hunted in a lock on stand but a bow would work great in it. I'm going to bow hunt out of a lock on this year. For ladder I recommend big game. I thinks it's called a deluxe. But for lock on I recommend millennium stands but they can get pricey. They have great ladder stand too but again they are pricey.
Posted By: LandAgent

Re: Favorite tree stand for bow hunting? - 05/10/16 02:02 AM

hang-on or ladder for me. Climbers require not only a very straight vertical tree, but no limbs. I use hang-on more than anything because I like having the seclusion compared to a giant ladder all the way to the ground. Doesnt really make a difference to the deer I dont think but thats just my opinion. Not big on brands as long as it has a comfortable seat and roomy enough platform that I dont feel like im going to fall off anytime I stand up. Just make sure you keep your hang-ons well maintained and taken care of and I would never sit in a hang-on without a safety harness.
Posted By: sqiggy

Re: Favorite tree stand for bow hunting? - 05/10/16 04:25 AM

For bow, a lock on. I can hang one on a tree with limbs which still has leaves for max concealment. Takes a little longer to put up vs a climber. Ladder stands are just to hard to move and set up if you are by yourself.
Posted By: White Falcon

Re: Favorite tree stand for bow hunting? - 05/10/16 01:11 PM

Ladder stands and tri pods.
Posted By: titan2232

Re: Favorite tree stand for bow hunting? - 05/10/16 04:12 PM

Originally Posted By: sqiggy
For bow, a lock on. I can hang one on a tree with limbs which still has leaves for max concealment. Takes a little longer to put up vs a climber. Ladder stands are just to hard to move and set up if you are by yourself.

X2. I use two lag bolts through the frame and into the tree when I'm able. Never trust straps and chains when I'm 20 foot up and alone.
Posted By: StephensCnty308

Re: Favorite tree stand for bow hunting? - 05/10/16 05:28 PM

Originally Posted By: ImTheReasonDovesMourn
I posted this question in the blinds/feeders section but I've only gotten one comment, so I figure I'll post it here since I'm not the only one that would like to hear opinions on the matter.

So what do y'all prefer for bow hunting? Ladder, climber, hang-on? Any specific brands? Specific height? Any tips would be appreciated.
. Finally something I can answer! I love advanced tree stand technologies ( smackedown ) Easy to carry in Easy to set up! Yes it may take a little longer than ladder stands however the quality is awsome and its light!

The leaves of the tree make great concealment and the stand is easy to move and carry out.
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Favorite tree stand for bow hunting? - 05/10/16 06:24 PM

Climber first, then hang on second.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Favorite tree stand for bow hunting? - 05/10/16 06:40 PM

Just be thankful you have trees big enough to put a tree stand in frown
Posted By: sbushee

Re: Favorite tree stand for bow hunting? - 05/10/16 08:03 PM

I like the one that's in the right apot
Posted By: passthru

Re: Favorite tree stand for bow hunting? - 05/11/16 02:29 AM

Ladder.
Posted By: cva34

Re: Favorite tree stand for bow hunting? - 05/11/16 02:46 PM

Originally Posted By: sbushee
I like the one that's in the right apot

Great Comment!!!
Posted By: CoolHand

Re: Favorite tree stand for bow hunting? - 05/13/16 02:47 PM

tree saddle and lone wolf climbing sticks!
Posted By: Deersteaks

Re: Favorite tree stand for bow hunting? - 05/14/16 08:31 AM

Your question is a good one, but really depends on more than just personal preference. Most answers you have received so for are likely based on one's physical condition as well as what trees are available. I would prefer a chain on, but because I'm "Fat and over 50",the ladder stands make me feel much safer and with so many options out there, it's not hard to find one that's comfortable enough for an all day set if I choose. There are advantages to all 3 mentioned above, and to each his own, but when you know where you want to hunt before season, a ladder stand that has been pre set and sturdy is hard to beat on those dark mornings where you are trusting to feel more than your eye sight. Good luck with which ever you choose!
Posted By: WBYHunter

Re: Favorite tree stand for bow hunting? - 05/15/16 01:54 PM

Climbing stand. I feel very safe using one, can't say the same for ladder stands I've been in.
Posted By: FoxTrot

Re: Favorite tree stand for bow hunting? - 05/15/16 07:29 PM

Woodsey Too Grey Ghost
Posted By: Bassdeer

Re: Favorite tree stand for bow hunting? - 05/23/16 01:03 PM

Like most but I hunt Kansas and sometimes on public land so my API climber is my best, no problem finding good trees.
Posted By: foodieguy

Re: Favorite tree stand for bow hunting? - 05/30/16 03:55 AM

I tried some hang ons on my lease but i never could find a straight enough tree where i wanted to hunt so I sold them and replaced them w ladder stands. My main factor is the platform size, I want something large and stable, ladder or hang on.

And always wear your harness! I like the life-lines too, they add another level of safety most falls are from climbing in our out.
Posted By: Wes70

Re: Favorite tree stand for bow hunting? - 05/30/16 09:55 PM

Grey Ghost by Woodsey Too
Posted By: lunatichunter

Re: Favorite tree stand for bow hunting? - 06/05/16 11:57 AM

Ladder and climbing sticks with a Millennium hang on stand.
Posted By: ptlmg

Re: Favorite tree stand for bow hunting? - 06/12/16 05:45 PM

Six foot tripod backed to an evergreen tree. I shoot trad so thats why I like the short ones.
Posted By: Chance Bailey

Re: Favorite tree stand for bow hunting? - 06/13/16 12:54 AM

Millennium M-150U lock on paired with muddy pro climbing sticks is my go to set up easy to pack and set up

Re: Favorite tree stand for bow hunting? - 06/13/16 01:14 AM

Originally Posted By: ptlmg
Six foot tripod backed to an evergreen tree. I shoot trad so thats why I like the short ones.

Now that is cool. cheers
Posted By: millerliteliker

Re: Favorite tree stand for bow hunting? - 06/27/16 07:20 PM

I am 53 and am in pretty decent health. I prefer "hang ons" set at 20-25' up - preferrably in a tree with some cover and within the second row of trees in the "target" area that I am hunting. I like to be high and concealed - and for that there is nothing better than a hang on.

The newer Summit stands are easy to hang. They come with a bracket on a strap that you put around the tree and then simply clip the stand onto the bracket. Very easy and secure.

Also - ALWAYS use a safety harness with a lineman's belt while you are hanging the stands and then a "life line" for when you climb and hunt them. Do not make the mistake of hunting out of these things and taking a short cut on this. Stupid not to use a safety harness. It also makes hanging them much easier.

I tried hunting out of a ladder stand years ago but I felt too close to the ground - way too "open". I did kill a nice buck out of a tripod one time in West Texas. I put it in between two Mesquite trees and felt very hidden. No problems drawing back and getting the shot off. But I hunt East Texas now and large tall trees are plentiful.
Posted By: PhilR

Re: Favorite tree stand for bow hunting? - 07/22/16 03:29 PM

Rivers Edge ladder stands for me. Large platform and very comfortable seat.
Posted By: Curtis

Re: Favorite tree stand for bow hunting? - 07/23/16 01:22 PM

I like the ladder and having a fair size platform to sit/stand from to shoot.
Posted By: Navasot

Re: Favorite tree stand for bow hunting? - 07/23/16 02:22 PM

always used lock ons... now that they got the bolt together ladders good a cheap they make a good combo to get to the top of the tree.. ladder stands only get you about 20ft and twice as hard to assemble

Posted By: Navasot

Re: Favorite tree stand for bow hunting? - 07/23/16 02:25 PM

Re: Favorite tree stand for bow hunting? - 07/23/16 10:54 PM

Shoot 20 feet is all the farther I wNt to fall.
Posted By: cmorsch

Re: Favorite tree stand for bow hunting? - 07/25/16 08:07 PM

Lone Wolf Hand Climber by far if I am using a climber.
Posted By: Blood Trail

Re: Favorite tree stand for bow hunting? - 08/05/16 12:01 PM

My favorite stand by far is the treewalker climber. There is not a more versatile stand out there.

http://treewalkertreestands.com/detail.asp?sku=ProMag XL&r1=chillpad&r2=crossbowholder&r3=padstrap-upgrade
Posted By: Skipetex

Re: Favorite tree stand for bow hunting? - 08/06/16 12:19 AM

Ole man climber with the net seat is my favorite
Posted By: Nitronx898

Re: Favorite tree stand for bow hunting? - 08/07/16 08:12 AM

My personal preference is a Game Tamer type stand. I'm a big guy 6'2" 300# and not considered fat. About 20 years or so I built some that had a 40" base with a swivel seat in the middle. This is befor I knew anything about the game tamer stands. They work great with a big deck and can move 360*. Hunting in the hill country we don't have big trees but the can be hung on a tree that's not exactly straight. The adjustable deck helps with that. Only other thing I've bow hunted out of are tripods or ground blinds but prefer the hang on.
Posted By: Tripper Swift

Re: Favorite tree stand for bow hunting? - 08/11/16 01:45 AM

I have several of the Guide Gear Comfort hang-ons. I get them from Sportsmans guide. It is by far the most comfortable I have ever used. I can sit in it all day and the only hard part is not falling asleep. I bow hunt out of it but it does have the rifle rest. It is also very budget friendly. However like most cheap stands its pretty heavy. Mine are all on private property and dont get moved much though.
Posted By: Dan d

Re: Favorite tree stand for bow hunting? - 09/01/16 07:39 PM

i like the hang on 360 and or ladder but i custom build most of mine
Posted By: bowhunter247

Re: Favorite tree stand for bow hunting? - 09/13/16 01:19 AM

Lone Wolf Assault II, set of 4 Lone Wolf Climbing Sticks, combined with the Alpha Tech-Stick-Quiver makes packing it in easy.
Posted By: Kevin Heath

Re: Favorite tree stand for bow hunting? - 09/13/16 02:49 PM

I am really lucky, we own the land we hunt. So all of our stands are permanent platforms, plus we scatter popups around as necessary.
Posted By: Wacm

Re: Favorite tree stand for bow hunting? - 01/23/18 12:21 AM

I hunt the hill country and North Tx so lock ons usually won't work cause we don't have the right trees or even trees in some instances. I use tripods mostly. I like getting above my quarry. Boy it's a lot of work getting one set up but they sure are comfy once you get one in.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum