Texas Hunting Forum

Whats your maximum range?

Posted By: jsplinter

Whats your maximum range? - 11/18/15 08:25 PM

I haven't bow hunted in years, so the technology has definitely changed since I hunted with my aluminum arrows. I see commercials for new carbon arrows talking about a 100 yard shot. I don't think I would have ever considered anything over 40 yards back when I hunted. What's your guys maximum range you will fling an arrow at a deer?
Posted By: GLC

Re: Whats your maximum range? - 11/18/15 09:42 PM

I shoot 50 to 60 yards but will not launch an arrow at a deer past 35 to 40. Hogs are another story.
Posted By: ChrisB

Re: Whats your maximum range? - 11/18/15 09:43 PM

30-35 yards on a whitetail. I'll shot hogs at any range I can get a shot. I feel like I could take an elk at 60 but don't ever practice past that.
Posted By: Navasot

Re: Whats your maximum range? - 11/18/15 09:55 PM

depends on the situation.. Id sling it around 50 on the right day
Posted By: RLoving1

Re: Whats your maximum range? - 11/18/15 10:10 PM

On game 30 is fine with me. Targets and backstop to find arrow have pins for up to 50.
Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: Whats your maximum range? - 11/18/15 10:44 PM

IF I have been practicing I'll take a 40 yard shot on a whitetail...maybe a tad further if conditions are perfect

Hogs prolly the same distance

We went antelope hunting this year and practiced at 70,80 and 100 yards.

Took a antelope at 86 yards. Of course your hunting a less spooky animal.

I'd prolly shoot at an elk up to 80 if I had a wide open shot
Posted By: jsplinter

Re: Whats your maximum range? - 11/18/15 10:54 PM

What all of you are saying sounds right. I wouldn't think of taking a deer much past 40 yards
Posted By: kmon11

Re: Whats your maximum range? - 11/18/15 11:13 PM

40 is max for me on deer but prefer 10 to 30, shoot to 60 on targets and will let an arrow fly to that on hogs. Recurve is 25 max on a good day.
Posted By: sqiggy

Re: Whats your maximum range? - 11/19/15 04:20 AM

25yds is mine. But I've never shot at one that far either. I use my ninja skills and get'em close!!! banana
Like 10 and 15 yards!! up
Posted By: Grizz

Re: Whats your maximum range? - 11/19/15 04:26 AM

I prefer them at 15-20 yards, but I will shoot out to 35 or so. I can consistently hit targets further than that, but I can't control what a deer does when it hears the bow string pop.
Posted By: DuckCoach1985

Re: Whats your maximum range? - 11/19/15 06:33 PM

40 at a deer and it's not my favorite. Hogs, yotes, rabbits, squirrels, no limit.. I get lucky sometimes!
Posted By: bjankowski

Re: Whats your maximum range? - 11/20/15 01:03 AM

Originally Posted By: Navasot

Me too; it has to be the right conditions. I usually practice 60 yards plus, but after 50 yards a whole lot less K.E.
Posted By: Tactical Cowboy

Re: Whats your maximum range? - 11/20/15 06:06 AM

40 with a compound, and about half that with a recurve.
Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: Whats your maximum range? - 11/20/15 01:37 PM

Originally Posted By: bjankowski

Me too; it has to be the right conditions. I usually practice 60 yards plus, but after 50 yards a whole lot less K.E.

I keep hearing about the loss of K.E but have not experienced it. My antelope was a complete pass thru and I'm not shooting a real fast bow or a heavy arrow.

My buddy had a pass thru on his at 104 yards. Also killed a mule deer at 93 yards complete pass thru

I killed a hog at 50 yards same story complete pass thru

Re: Whats your maximum range? - 11/20/15 01:50 PM

Originally Posted By: txtrophy85

I keep hearing about the loss of K.E but have not experienced it. My antelope was a complete pass thru and I'm not shooting a real fast bow or a heavy arrow.

My buddy had a pass thru on his at 104 yards. Also killed a mule deer at 93 yards complete pass thru

I guess if you've never experienced K.E. loss you're the first person in history that can defy the law of gravity. The laws of physics dictate that as an arrow travels downrange, its trajectory decays as gravity and aerodynamic drag affect its flight. Every compound delivers arrows at a defined speed at certain target distances.
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Whats your maximum range? - 11/20/15 03:54 PM

KE is just a measure of the effectiveness of your cam and limb system at transfer energy to the arrow.

With today current IBO speeds(high KE numbers). We have the ability to push momentum numbers a lot further down range then we did 10 years ago.

Math is math. With today's modern and highly efficient systems it more about individual shot placement ability at range then it is arrows and broad heads penetration ability.

Re: Whats your maximum range? - 11/20/15 03:56 PM

Posted By: BMowatt

Re: Whats your maximum range? - 11/20/15 05:32 PM

40 yds

Re: Whats your maximum range? - 11/20/15 05:41 PM

Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown
KE is just a measure of the effectiveness of your cam and limb system at transfer energy to the arrow.

With today current IBO speeds(high KE numbers). We have the ability to push momentum numbers a lot further down range then we did 10 years ago.

Math is math. With today's modern and highly efficient systems it more about individual shot placement ability at range then it is arrows and broad heads penetration ability.

I agree that today’s bows do produce more energy, and yes Cams determine the SPEED of the arrow, however K.E. is not a measurement of cams, limbs or any other component of a bow. A cam has no way to determine what weight the arrow is, a 400gn arrow is going to have a complete different K.E. than a 600gn arrow. One reason I never shoot under 550gn, which brings a new question to the equation, more weight will greatly reduce the velocity and the K.E. on impact.

SPEED AND WEIGHT determine K.E. Everything has K.E. a train, a falling ball, a flying bird.. K.E. is the energy of motion. An object that has motion - whether it is vertical or horizontal motion - has kinetic energy.
Simple Math.
The only reason I'm chiming in on this and I don't want to argue, we have a lot new archers and in my 50 plus years in archery, I like to share the knowledge I'm gained over they years.

Re: Whats your maximum range? - 11/20/15 06:22 PM

KE is easy to calculate if you know the weight of the arrow and speed of the arrow.

(Arrow weight in grains X Velocity squared)/ 450240 = KE in ftlbs

The further an arrow or bullet flies the less velocity it will have, think about your sight on a bow the further out the yardage the more space between the pins for 10 yard increments, why the arrow has lost speed due to drag on air and the constant gravity has more time to react in that space.

IMO Pronghorns, Mule deer, elk and hogs do not jump the string as much as those bundle of nerve whitetails. From a fast bow an arrow still takes over a half second to reach 90 yards, plenty of time for an animal to move.

Re: Whats your maximum range? - 11/20/15 06:44 PM

Originally Posted By: txtrophy85

When practicing for those long shots say 90 yards, do your arrows penetrate as deep in the target as they do at shorter distances like 20 or 50? I doubt it. Less penetration from less energy.

Arrow shaft, broadhead used, arrow total weight, velocity and how straight the arrow is flying all have an effect on penetration.

Re: Whats your maximum range? - 11/20/15 07:05 PM

Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown

I agree that today’s bows do produce more energy, and yes Cams determine the SPEED of the arrow, however K.E. is not a measurement of cams, limbs or any other component of a bow. A cam has no way to determine what weight the arrow is, a 400gn arrow is going to have a complete different K.E. than a 600gn arrow. One reason I never shoot under 550gn, which brings a new question to the equation, more weight will greatly reduce the velocity and the K.E. on impact.

SPEED AND WEIGHT determine K.E. Everything has K.E. a train, a falling ball, a flying bird.. K.E. is the energy of motion. An object that has motion - whether it is vertical or horizontal motion - has kinetic energy.
Simple Math.
The only reason I'm chiming in on this and I don't want to argue, we have a lot new archers and in my 50 plus years in archery, I like to share the knowledge I'm gained over they years.

KE = mass x (velocity ^2) Note the velocity in the equation is squared. Higher the velocity the higher the KE. Arrow speed is a product of the cam and limb efficiency in transferring energy to an arrow(mass). Thus KE is a good indication of cam and limb efficiency in transferred energy.

Arrows do no use KE( they do use instant transfer of energy and KE has no direction unlike momentum) to kill. They use penetration. Penetration is a factor of momentum and broad head design. Thus why you use high weight arrows and less cutting diameter 2 blade heads.

Retrained momentum is more useful then KE. But A high KE number shows your ability to maintain a higher momentum number because of your velocity at equal weight using different but same poundage bows.

Higher or lower KE numbers of similar poundage bows give you a difference in energy transfer efficiency.

Point is at today speeds(cam and limb transfer efficiency aka higher KE) we are well beyond the momentum losses at range that result in a lack of penetration compared to that using older bows.

Re: Whats your maximum range? - 11/20/15 08:08 PM

roflmao Funny because I think we're all saying the same thing but again I have to disagree with you that retained momentum is more useful than K.E....

If you drop a bowling ball and a tennis ball on your foot lets say that the bowling ball was dropped at two feet and the tennis ball was dropped at 20 feet even though the tennis ball is at retained momentum which one is going to hurt the most?... The bowling ball of course because it had a higher K.E.
Just saying. banana
BTW; I'm not a K.E. salesman, nor does K.E. pay me a commission. confused2

Re: Whats your maximum range? - 11/20/15 08:29 PM

roflmao Funny because I think we're all saying the same thing but again I have to disagree with you that retained momentum is more useful than K.E....

If you drop a bowling ball and a tennis ball on your foot lets say that the bowling ball was dropped at two feet and the tennis ball was dropped at 20 feet even though the tennis ball is at retained momentum which one is going to hurt the most?... The bowling ball of course because it had a higher K.E.
Just saying. banana
BTW; I'm not a K.E. salesman, nor does K.E. pay me a commission. confused2

We are sort of one is a measure of transfer the other measure of what it takes to stop the object. I'm just stating KE is more relevant to why some bows are faster then others at same draw weight, then to measure penetration.

Re: Whats your maximum range? - 11/20/15 08:31 PM

arrow fly.. I shoot... arrow hit good spot... animal die.. only white man waste arrows on targets

Re: Whats your maximum range? - 11/21/15 12:10 AM

arrow fly.. I shoot... arrow hit good spot... animal die.. only white man waste arrows on targets

Thats funny! So if cams make the kenitic energy then rifling in barrel make it in firearms? Lite arrow go fast doesn't go as deep, heavy arrow go slower and sinks deeper correct? Lite bullet goes fast but easily deflected (wind. tree branch....) heavy bullet goes slow through brush and bucks wind with less drift? Someone help me here I was only a C student in school! I have figured out fast projectile regardless what it is can be fast miss, heavy projectile makes slow miss!Think I will go to bar and debate Coors Light verses Bud Light. bolt

Re: Whats your maximum range? - 11/21/15 01:22 AM

Originally Posted By: RLoving1

Thats funny! So if cams make the kenitic energy then rifling in barrel make it in firearms? Lite arrow go fast doesn't go as deep, heavy arrow go slower and sinks deeper correct? Lite bullet goes fast but easily deflected (wind. tree branch....) heavy bullet goes slow through brush and bucks wind with less drift? Someone help me here I was only a C student in school! I have figured out fast projectile regardless what it is can be fast miss, heavy projectile makes slow miss!Think I will go to bar and debate Coors Light verses Bud Light. bolt

So many people worried about penetration when the heart/lungs sit 2-3 inches from outside of the skin peep cheers
Posted By: ChrisB

Re: Whats your maximum range? - 11/21/15 01:34 PM

Budlight

Re: Whats your maximum range? - 11/21/15 02:01 PM

Dang I didn't mean to open a can of worms. up MY point being is that I want enough energy (call it what ever the $#$@# you want to call it, it's still K.E.) to ethically dispatch the animal I'm shooting at. I know that I don't have a problem putting the arrow in the vitals at 60 yards however; ETHICALLY that's now a probable shot due to weighing in factors that could result in maiming or shooting an unrecoverable animal.

So getting back to my first post; I would shoot out to 50 yards but only if the conditions and all the variables were right.

And Rloving; you choose, you know I don't drink. roflmao

Re: Whats your maximum range? - 11/21/15 02:13 PM

Originally Posted By: ChrisB

Budlight
Posted By: Walkabout

Re: Whats your maximum range? - 11/21/15 02:22 PM

Wow not sure how this got so complicated but lots of good information above. As long as I can see EXACTLY where where I want to hit I can take the shot. So pretty much don't use a range finder anymore. If you are still in your late 20's you may get a chuckle out of this in 40 years.

Re: Whats your maximum range? - 11/21/15 03:11 PM

It's a system the energy is in the limb, cam system is is what transfers the energy efficiently to the arrow.

Coorslight

KE and Momentum are just measurements one is directional the other isn't.

My set the arrow with a two blade board 1 1/8 cut still has enough momentum at a 100yards to pass try the vital of a 300lb animal. Wether the animal is still there when it gets there is a different story

Re: Whats your maximum range? - 11/21/15 03:40 PM

Now I'm on board with Bobo since he said Coors Light! Those Budlight yahoos just lost a fan! whip I'm still comfy shooting out to 30 of critters. up

Re: Whats your maximum range? - 11/21/15 03:47 PM

Coors Light?... barf good grief, it's only good to clean out bird cages. I don't drink anymore but when I did, I didn't drink that poop made in the U.S.A. banana banana

Re: Whats your maximum range? - 11/21/15 05:33 PM

Coors Light?... barf good grief, it's only good to clean out bird cages. I don't drink anymore but when I did, I didn't drink that poop made in the U.S.A. banana banana

Lol, so it's not made in Golden anymore? I'm actually a yellow belly fan smile

Re: Whats your maximum range? - 11/21/15 06:16 PM

From K.E. to cold beer . laugh
My favs when I drank beer were listed in order to preference.
Guinness, and Guinness Extra Stout, Stella Artois, Chimay, Becks, Heineken, and Paulaner Hefeweizen and most of the import winter fest lagers. I got spoiled when I lived in Europe; after than I was ruined.

Re: Whats your maximum range? - 11/21/15 06:39 PM

From K.E. to cold beer . laugh
My favs when I drank beer were listed in order to preference.
Guinness, and Guinness Extra Stout, Stella Artois, Chimay, Becks, Heineken, and Paulaner Hefeweizen and most of the import winter fest lagers. I got spoiled when I lived in Europe; after than I was ruined.

It's THF, where ever the wind takes us.
Never been a dark beer fan.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum