Texas Hunting Forum

Gonna love these broad heads.

Posted By: bjankowski

Gonna love these broad heads. - 11/10/15 01:41 PM

I been using Muzzy Phantoms 200gn without the bleeders and Zwickey 135gn for ever. I like heavy and thick. Got these and I hope to see how well they work this week sometime. Compared to my Muzzy Phantoms they look like a monster, cut over 1 1/4 that's the widest I've ever found. I started off with six if they perform like I think they will I'll get six more and use them on my backup bow too. These are Cliff Zwickey, never heard of them before, and I thought I knew everything about everything. bang

Posted By: Aggieman775

Re: Gonna love these broad heads. - 11/10/15 02:55 PM

I have the muzzy phantoms now and the trocar. I have never shot anything with the phantoms did you like them?

Re: Gonna love these broad heads. - 11/10/15 03:09 PM

Originally Posted By: Aggieman775
I have the muzzy phantoms now and the trocar. I have never shot anything with the phantoms did you like them?

Oh yes; in fact after seeing what they did on deer I've had other bow hunters switch to them. I've been using them ever since they came out. I'm thinking this new one will do even more damage just because of the wider cutting blades, 1 1/4 is going to be amazing. I hope to try them out during this coming week.
Posted By: Aggieman775

Re: Gonna love these broad heads. - 11/10/15 03:12 PM

Good to know. That trocar does pretty well to.
Posted By: Navasot

Re: Gonna love these broad heads. - 11/10/15 03:28 PM

I have an old archery box an oldtimer gave me that has loads of heads just like that.. they arnt heavy though the blades are nothing more than carved razor blades that are replaceable... and sharp dam they are sharp

Re: Gonna love these broad heads. - 11/10/15 03:37 PM

Originally Posted By: Navasot
I have an old archery box an oldtimer gave me that has loads of heads just like that.. they arnt heavy though the blades are nothing more than carved razor blades that are replaceable... and sharp dam they are sharp

That's what I liked about these they are 175gn and with my knife making shop I can keep them razor sharp...Back in the early days Zwickey was the broad head most of us old laugh timers used.

Re: Gonna love these broad heads. - 11/10/15 03:38 PM

Originally Posted By: bjankowski

That's what I liked about these they are 175gn and with my knife making shop I can keep them razor sharp...Back in the early days Zwickey was the broad head most of us old laugh timers used.

roflmao I wasn't calling you an oldtimer

Re: Gonna love these broad heads. - 11/10/15 04:00 PM

I know it Bubba; just because I went to high school with Moses doesn't make me old, hope it makes me wise. roflmao

Re: Gonna love these broad heads. - 11/10/15 04:01 PM

cheers

Ill get a pic of the heads im talkin about in that box.. there a few things in there im not even sure what its for but looks like it was a traditional shooters box

Re: Gonna love these broad heads. - 11/10/15 04:29 PM

Yes I'd like to see them; I'm sure I have used them before compounds came out. Compounds were just starting to get popular when I came home from Viet Nam in 1969.
Posted By: passthru

Re: Gonna love these broad heads. - 11/10/15 06:39 PM

Those heads may not be legal if the no barbed heads restrictions is still on the books.
Posted By: Big Daddy K

Re: Gonna love these broad heads. - 11/10/15 06:54 PM

Im an old zwickey fan. I shoot 135s or 175s. The profile of the 175s look funny on my carbons. More like a skinny spear.

Anyway just got a pack of 200gn cut throats single bevel just because I wanted to.

Hope I can shoot something with one soon.
Posted By: RLoving1

Re: Gonna love these broad heads. - 11/11/15 01:20 AM

I call him one all the time...he's old so I have to explain things to him 2-3 times before he gets it...so yeah he's old! bolt

Re: Gonna love these broad heads. - 11/11/15 01:19 PM

Originally Posted By: passthru
Those heads may not be legal if the no barbed heads restrictions is still on the books.

Texas has dropped the mention of barbed broad heads off their restrictions; the only states that I have found to still be illegal are

Listed below are some of the states where barbed broadheads are illegal.
•Alaska
•Idaho
•Illinois (according to DNR, but, not listed as such in regs book)
• Kentucky
•Minnesota
• New York
• North Dakota
• Oregon - page 30
• South Dakota
•Washington
Posted By: passthru

Re: Gonna love these broad heads. - 11/11/15 02:06 PM

That's a good deal then. Imagine the TPWD doing something that makes sense. Whoda thunk?

Re: Gonna love these broad heads. - 11/11/15 03:26 PM

Originally Posted By: passthru
That's a good deal then. Imagine the TPWD doing something that makes sense. Whoda thunk?

Right finally did something right; I just wish they would get rid of that 13" spread, we have some that need to be eliminated from breeding. I've have my eyes on this guy, he's legal, but doesn't need to be breeding. This is a current picture, I just set the year wrong on that camera. In fact we have several that need to be eliminated however they don't make the spread. I have those solar light at that feeder for hunting pigs at night.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum