Texas Hunting Forum

Drawing a bow on a doe.

Posted By: Kenny Powers

Drawing a bow on a doe. - 10/16/15 01:26 PM

Ive noticed doe are easy to get chances at vs bucks. But they(doe) can see ya draw a bow like nothing else.(Especially) ground level. But once a buck is in range hes easier to draw without him noticing IMO. Anyone else think the same?
Posted By: passthru

Re: Drawing a bow on a doe. - 10/16/15 01:39 PM

I think it has a lot to do with hunting pressure, stand concealment and watching all the eyes as you move to the draw.
Posted By: DFWPI

Re: Drawing a bow on a doe. - 10/16/15 01:46 PM

Tell that to a couple of mature doe I've tried to draw in and they will laugh at you smile

Re: Drawing a bow on a doe. - 10/16/15 01:51 PM

Yup. I was shooting out of a very small hole in the brush blind and a big doe spotted me drawing. I couldnt believe it. The small yearlings didnt even bat an eye. Doe just seem to think there is danger around every rock bush stupm ect.. Bucks on the other hand once they commit its almost as if the hard part is over with.
Posted By: txshntr

Re: Drawing a bow on a doe. - 10/16/15 02:06 PM

I agree and have said the same for years.

Doe will come in and are constantly searching. Once a buck commits, I get tired of waiting for them to lift their head so I can video them. For me, there is no doubt that doe are tougher to get a shot at once they come in.

Re: Drawing a bow on a doe. - 10/16/15 02:25 PM

Yea but im sure Passthrus point is true to as pressure and cover ,concealment does play a role.

Re: Drawing a bow on a doe. - 10/16/15 04:29 PM

Well over the years I have found a mature doe can be difficult to kill. Not so much drawing on her but not getting scented. They circle, they smell the trail you walk in on, they suspect. But I like to have minimal shooting lanes and maximum cover.

Re: Drawing a bow on a doe. - 10/16/15 05:07 PM

Originally Posted By: passthru
Well over the years I have found a mature doe can be difficult to kill. Not so much drawing on her but not getting scented. They circle, they smell the trail you walk in on, they suspect. But I like to have minimal shooting lanes and maximum cover.

Me too! It screwed me on a giant 8 point two years ago but i should have waited for him to take one more step. Hit a limb !!
Posted By: bjankowski

Re: Drawing a bow on a doe. - 10/16/15 06:54 PM

I had a doe take off like a screaming demon when I just thought about drawing on her. roflmao

Yes; I've found doe a lot harder than a buck; just watch them eat at the feeder they are weary of everything.
Posted By: SPITFIRE125

Re: Drawing a bow on a doe. - 10/16/15 09:13 PM

We hunt higher than most and don't have near the problems with it that we used to. Most of our sets are 22' to 25' and rarely do we get busted. It does change your shot placement but it has helped us get away with more movement. Hunting with a recurve takes away the luxury of the 80% let off so when you draw you better be ready to shoot. I know a lot of you guys don't have the trees to hunt that high but thought I would share what has worked for me.

Re: Drawing a bow on a doe. - 10/16/15 09:38 PM

Hunting with a recurve makes your hunting a lot tougher than with a compound. I can draw, hold, wait, there's the shot, release. Trad is a lot more difficult.
Posted By: TexasFJ

Re: Drawing a bow on a doe. - 10/17/15 11:49 AM

I think a matriarch doe can be tougher to kill than a mature buck. They are true trophies in my book.
Posted By: bjankowski

Re: Drawing a bow on a doe. - 10/17/15 02:38 PM

Hunting with a recurve makes your hunting a lot tougher than with a compound. I can draw, hold, wait, there's the shot, release. Trad is a lot more difficult.

Right; I take my trad to my Double Bull blind since my feeder is only 20 yards away and my Bowtech to my tripod since the feeder is 33 yards away. I prefer using the trad, but not very practical in the tripod. Either way, it's bow hunting. banana
Posted By: chital_shikari

Re: Drawing a bow on a doe. - 10/18/15 06:11 PM

Never drawn back on a "buck" buck, but I've noticed that does are more wary when in range than bucks are. As someone said above, once a buck commits, you don't really have to worry about that particular buck. confused2
Posted By: FoxTrot

Re: Drawing a bow on a doe. - 10/19/15 04:27 PM

I also hunt really high and dont have as much problems with movement. I do also agree with everyone...Does are harder to kill where I hunt.
Posted By: no-guts-no-glory

Re: Drawing a bow on a doe. - 10/19/15 04:36 PM

Yes...yes, a mature doe is difficult to kill with a bow.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum