Texas Hunting Forum

For you bowhunters

Posted By: sunsetroosters

For you bowhunters - 09/30/15 03:34 PM

What mechanical broad head shoots the truest to a field tip, and which one is your favorite?
Posted By: Navasot

Re: For you bowhunters - 09/30/15 03:36 PM

killzone.. but its going to be different per bow/shooter
Posted By: sunsetroosters

Re: For you bowhunters - 09/30/15 03:48 PM

I have never used a mechanical before.
Posted By: Aggieman775

Re: For you bowhunters - 09/30/15 03:55 PM

I don't use mechanical anymore. Since the blades come out when it hits an animal I don't think the penetration power is as good. Don't think they can brake bone.
Posted By: ChanceHuiet

Re: For you bowhunters - 09/30/15 04:10 PM

Mechanical no clue, truest to field tip and my favorite is the QAD Exodus
Posted By: Phantom

Re: For you bowhunters - 09/30/15 04:14 PM

We outlawed them on our property. we had to many bad experiences with them. Go fixed blade you wont regret
Posted By: txshntr

Re: For you bowhunters - 09/30/15 04:23 PM

I have shot mechanical for years, Spitfire. Never had an issue. Great arrow flight, most have been complete pass thru, and good blood trails. I have shot two Kansas bucks that field dressed 240 and the other wasn't weighed, but was bigger.

It comes down to shot placement and angles. A broadhead isn't going to make up for a poor shot or poor decision.

Granted, there are a few I have tried over the years and have no confidence in them and would never recommend.
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: For you bowhunters - 09/30/15 04:31 PM

Not all heads are equal goes for mech and fixed.

I personally think the late ulmer edge is the most robust mech head ever made.

I think penetration with any head has more factors to it then blades opening. Cutting diameter, sharpness, blade angle etc.
Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: For you bowhunters - 09/30/15 04:39 PM

I shoot rocket sidewinders....love them
Posted By: jshouse

Re: For you bowhunters - 09/30/15 05:22 PM

killed my buck last year with a spitfire, it left a massive hole on both sides
Posted By: ChrisB

Re: For you bowhunters - 09/30/15 05:42 PM

We outlawed fixed heads this year. Tired of the long tacking jobs with little to no blood, poor arrow flight and small cutting diameters.
Posted By: ChrisB

Re: For you bowhunters - 09/30/15 05:45 PM

Grim Reaper makes some very good heads. No rubber bands to fool with and I have never seen one not open. Their Fatal Steel heads fly perfect to your field points. The 2 inch cutters make huge holes in deer and usually drop them within sight.
Posted By: Duke4456

Re: For you bowhunters - 09/30/15 06:13 PM

Rage two blade can't tell a difference between them and my field points never lost a deer I have shot with one. Do prefer fixed blade for pigs though.

Re: For you bowhunters - 09/30/15 06:16 PM

Originally Posted By: brianl
We outlawed them on our property. we had to many bad experiences with them. Go fixed blade you wont regret
wtf

Re: For you bowhunters - 09/30/15 06:23 PM

to many are worried about a pass through when 6inches of penetration max is all you need... and the entry/exit wounds mechanicals make are second to none with blood trails... last 5 animals iv shot with mechanicals went less than 50yrds.. shot a big pig that went literally 5 steps.. now I will say I shoot whatevers cheapest at pigs.. and fixed are good and cheap and usually will take a few more hits... still dosnt outweigh the plusses for deer hunting though
Posted By: howabouttheiris

Re: For you bowhunters - 09/30/15 07:21 PM

With a bit of tuning any broadhead and field tip can be made to match.

When I switched from NAP to Rage, I had to make some minor adjustments to get the groups to match, but once it did there was no issues.
Posted By: titan2232

Re: For you bowhunters - 10/01/15 01:20 AM

Rage 3 blade never gets any love, but I have had decent luck with them. They fly true with my bow and penetrate well. Only issues was two of them failed to open all three blades.
Posted By: scott gurney

Re: For you bowhunters - 11/03/15 02:59 PM

rage two blades are unreal. i have never had an animal go more than 50 yards. HUGE holes, HUGE blood trails. from 500 pound pigs to elk to deer. i even find pieces of organ on the blood trails....
Posted By: FoxTrot

Re: For you bowhunters - 11/03/15 08:13 PM

I shot the new G% Havoc's at 2 deer this year. Combined tracking job...30 yards. I am a Montec shooter and I will occasionally shot Rage Hypodermics but I cant pass up this new Havoc. My wife got them for me for my birthday and I tried em on opening day. I cant say enough good things about them.
Posted By: hookemhorns

Re: For you bowhunters - 11/03/15 11:16 PM

Grim reaper. 2". Shoot great. Makes big holes
Posted By: bjankowski

Re: For you bowhunters - 11/04/15 01:55 PM

The only mech I've ever used (one time only) was grim reaper, destroyed the broad head on the first animal, I just had to try them... I prefer cut on contact heavy broad heads .040 thick can be sharpened many times. I have some Muzzy Phantoms 220 gns I've used over six years.

if you're bow is tuned correctly broad heads and field tips will fly the same.

I've been blessed to afford a hunting bow and a back up and target bows with longer ATA and higher brace height for target and competition.
Posted By: High Country Archer

Re: For you bowhunters - 11/04/15 07:16 PM

Originally Posted By: hookemhorns
Grim reaper. 2". Shoot great. Makes big holes

Yes, yes they do.

Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: For you bowhunters - 11/04/15 09:13 PM

I like rocket sidewinders myself but they are getting hard to find
Posted By: BowsnRods

Re: For you bowhunters - 11/04/15 09:25 PM

Kill Zone 2" is my go too expandable broadhead, I tried the Hypodermic by rage and have no complaints, but the Kill Zone made tracking very easy being that the deer bled out in less than 40 yards.
Posted By: pittfallin

Re: For you bowhunters - 11/04/15 11:31 PM

I've had FANTASTIC luck with RAGE 3 and 2 blade....I.M.O of course
never had a SINGLE issue
Posted By: pittfallin

Re: For you bowhunters - 11/04/15 11:31 PM

hitting the stand in the AM ....I'll post a follow up pic if i connect with somthin....lol
Posted By: passthru

Re: For you bowhunters - 11/05/15 12:02 AM

Originally Posted By: txshntr
I have shot mechanical for years, Spitfire. Never had an issue. Great arrow flight, most have been complete pass thru, and good blood trails. I have shot two Kansas bucks that field dressed 240 and the other wasn't weighed, but was bigger.

It comes down to shot placement and angles. A broadhead isn't going to make up for a poor shot or poor decision.

Granted, there are a few I have tried over the years and have no confidence in them and would never recommend.

I would go even further to say that regardless of same point of impact that tuning is critical and facilitated the great penitration you got.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum