Texas Hunting Forum

My First Bow

Posted By: Gangly

My First Bow - 07/29/15 02:07 PM

My kids have really enjoyed shooting archery recreationally so I thought what the heck, I might as well join them. I figured if I really enjoyed it, I might try a little bow hunting in the fall as well.

Having a 32.5 inch draw, my options were limited, especially when I'm trying to keep things on a low budget since it is only a small hobby to do with my kids at this time. The Bear Attitude RTH (70-60 lbs)fit my needs and price range so I ordered one a little over a week ago and it arrived yesterday. I will be spending a little time at the archery range later today so that the bow tech can get it configured correctly for me, but the longer I wait the more excited I'm getting and the more I start thinking that I will definitely want to hunt with it in the fall.

With that being said, I know the pre installed components in most any RTH packages are pretty low quality. Not knowing anything about bow hunting in general, will the Bear Attitude in its current RTH form be sufficient to hunt with or is it (bow and/or accessories) too low end?

Thanks for any and all help, I greatly appreciate it and I'm really excited to start shooting the new toy.
Posted By: 2BIGAGENDA

Re: My First Bow - 07/29/15 02:52 PM

THEY ARE GOOD TO LAST YOU THROUGH COUPLE OF SEASONS.....GIVING THE AMOUNT TIMES YOU SHOOT/PRACTICE AND GOOD BOW MAINTENENCE.

Re: My First Bow - 07/29/15 03:31 PM

There is an indoor archery shop within 100 feet of my offices so I will probably get a minimum of 30 min to an hour of practice a week, especially considering I'm there with my kids substantially more often than that.
Posted By: passthru

Re: My First Bow - 07/30/15 01:50 AM

That is a long draw length. Congrats on the new bow.
Posted By: titan2232

Re: My First Bow - 07/30/15 01:19 PM

32.5 eek2

Talk about stretch armstrong

Re: My First Bow - 07/30/15 03:43 PM

6'7" smile

Looks like I'm shooting a Youth Bow
Posted By: MoBettaHuntR

Re: My First Bow - 07/31/15 07:34 PM

Originally Posted By: Gangly
6'7" smile

Looks like I'm shooting a Youth Bow

I guess that explains the name gangly
Posted By: Tru2lifetaxidermy

Re: My First Bow - 08/03/15 07:30 PM

Going to have to use telephone poles as arrows!
Posted By: redchevy

Re: My First Bow - 08/03/15 09:50 PM

My old man got a bow this year as well. We are still both shooting the same sights and rests that came on our package bows. Ive been shooting mine for several years and it kills just fine.

Best thing I found for practicing was focusing on my anchor point and shooting fewer times per session and more often. I got towards I only shot 3 arrows in a practice session every day or even twice a day once in the morning and once in the evening and that was what was best for improving my shooting.

Good luck have fun!

Re: My First Bow - 08/04/15 03:50 PM

Good idea redchevy. My first groups are always my best, and they slowly deteriorate from there. I assume my shoulder strength isn't where it needs to be so I will continue to shoot 30 to 40 arrows a session, but once the strength gets where it needs to be, I will tryout your method, it makes sense.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum