Texas Hunting Forum

CHOOSE MY BOW FOR ME!

Posted By: JCB

CHOOSE MY BOW FOR ME! - 01/16/09 07:46 PM

I plan on buying me a new bow sometime in the next few months and dont have a clue what to buy! So based on yalls recomendations I will choose what yall think is best for me!

I used to bow hunt quite a bit, but not much at all in the last 10 years or so!

I am looking for a high quality bow, that is fairly small and lite! I will have it set at about 62 pounds since that is what I used to shoot before I quit bowhuntin!

What should I buy! If you know the price that would help too!

After I choose a bow, then I will start a thread for my arrows, sight, quiver, rest, release, case, and what ever else I need!!

Yall are my experts, so help me out!!!

Posted By: accidentalart

Re: CHOOSE MY BOW FOR ME! - 01/16/09 07:54 PM

I'll be watching this closely, in the same boat. But I've never bow hunted so starting from scratch.

Posted By: orangepeel

Re: CHOOSE MY BOW FOR ME! - 01/16/09 08:34 PM

What price range?

Re: CHOOSE MY BOW FOR ME! - 01/16/09 08:42 PM

Quote:

What price range?

I would like to keep the whole set up at $1000 or less, but willing to pay more if there is something out there that yall think is worth the extra money!

Posted By: A.B.

Re: CHOOSE MY BOW FOR ME! - 01/16/09 08:45 PM

Bowtech Captain or Mathews Drenalin are my favorites right now. Might spend close to a grand for bow and accesories, but well worth it.

Posted By: huntandfish

Re: CHOOSE MY BOW FOR ME! - 01/16/09 08:51 PM

If money is not an option I would go with a PSE dreamseason. In the last year I've tried two Hoyts, two Bowtechs, two Mathews and finally tried the PSE Dreamseason. It shoots fast, dead in the hands, I also don't have to put string silercers on it, becasue it's so quite without them. I'm throwing 450 grain arrows 294 FPS. My Drenalin was 270, BT Commander was 260, Hoyt Katera XL was 264. I'm 29" DL and 70#. The hardest thing for me was to get a 50-60# or 60-70, because at 60# it almost as fast as many other bows at 70#. Decided what the heck and got a 60-70. Killed two deer with mine this year!! The 09 models suppose to be 5% more letoff while gaining a few FPS and they now put nice strings on them now. The 08 factory PSE strings where junk, but now they use america best bowstrings. I can also at atest to the Mathews Drenalin, because that thing would shoot so good. The only thing is mine developed a splintered limb, not a failure like my three day old Bowtech Commander, but had a very small hairline crack. I bought a Bowtech Commander and had to wait for four weeks for it to come in, because I bought it with the Marsh looking camo, got iti n and on the third day was pulling it back and the bottom limb cam pulled out of the lime. It flew by my face and was laying on the ground with some of the string. I took it back and demanded my money back and I got it back. The suppose to have fixed that limb problem now, but who knows?? That is when I ordered my PSE. Good luck and have fun!!

Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: CHOOSE MY BOW FOR ME! - 01/16/09 10:15 PM

Find a lightly used Elite GT500, GTO or Z28. But you can get and rig a new one out for less then 1k. If you lived closer you could shot at my house

Posted By: BowHuntinTX

Re: CHOOSE MY BOW FOR ME! - 01/16/09 10:20 PM

any mathews...

Switchback XT
Drenaline
Outback (what I have and my favorite so far)
Monster
DXT

Posted By: gspbrad

Re: CHOOSE MY BOW FOR ME! - 01/16/09 10:26 PM

I shoot a Mathews Drenalin and really like it. I also shot the Hoyt Alphamax and month ago and it was sweeeeet. The cam system on the Hoyt had a different feel than the Mathews. Go shoot a couple and see what feels best.

Posted By: ILUVBIGBUCKS

Re: CHOOSE MY BOW FOR ME! - 01/16/09 10:59 PM

JCB, I'd suggest that you go to a pro shop that has many different brands and take some time and shoot them all! I did it before I made my choice and am glad I did. I shot 20+ bows in one day at the same shop including Mathews, Ross, BowTech, Diamond, & Hoyts. Have them set them all at the same draw length and weight and make sure that they are all 'naked' with just a rest on them so you can get a 'true' feel for which draw and release you like the best. Most shops have a Chrony so that you can also see which one shoots what speed at the same setting!

Don't let anybody tell you what bow is best for you because all of the top of the line bows are damn good and each is a little different! They are all good and they will all shoot well. What is important is to have it set up exactly correct for you and to buy good arrows for it!

My Diamond Black Ice was not shooting great and I took it back into Mesquite Archery in SA. The arrows were ripping the paper and I thought I had a tuning issue. My bow was sighted in with my broadheads and it was hitting 6" high and 3" left with field points. He took one look and told me there was nothing wrong with the bow and that my arrows were the problem. He said they were not heavy enough spline and they were torking too much coming off the string. I spent about $90 or so on some new Eastman arrows that have a stiffer spine but are the exact same weight as teh Gold Tips I was shooting and bingo, I have a perfect hole through the paper now and my groups dramatically improved! Mesquite sells the arrows and lets you choose the fletchings and they put them on. I chose the Blazer Quick Spins at their reccomendation and I'm happier then pigs in s==t with them!

Go spend a day at a good pro shop and you won't have any regrets. Forget about the brand name and buy the one that fits you!

Posted By: TXBowhunter1

Re: CHOOSE MY BOW FOR ME! - 01/16/09 11:56 PM

http://www.texashuntingforum.com/ubbthre.../gonew/1#UNREAD

Posted By: buster2balls

Re: CHOOSE MY BOW FOR ME! - 01/17/09 12:01 AM

Mathews Drenalin

Re: CHOOSE MY BOW FOR ME! - 01/17/09 12:52 AM

Man this stuff seems way more complicated than rifle hunting!

Where is the closest place for someone like me to shoot these bows at (I am in the Rowlett/Rockwall area)?

I have shot maybe 3 arrows from a release and thats it!! I have always just shot fingers, but am determined to learn how to use a release!

I have never had a bow that actually fit me and I think thats why I fell out of love with the whole bow hunting thing! I want this purchase to be the right one, otherwise I will just give up again!

Posted By: jjbrown

Re: CHOOSE MY BOW FOR ME! - 01/17/09 01:07 AM

Hoyt Alpa-Max

Posted By: krs_2007

Re: CHOOSE MY BOW FOR ME! - 01/17/09 01:50 AM

PSE X-Force, seems like a nice bow and thinking about getting one for myself.

Posted By: Wes70

Re: CHOOSE MY BOW FOR ME! - 01/17/09 02:25 AM

Call me I can get you set up for well under $1000 and will be top of the line bow and equipment.

Posted By: BMD

Re: CHOOSE MY BOW FOR ME! - 01/17/09 02:28 AM

Mathews Monster!

Posted By: Lone Ranger

Re: CHOOSE MY BOW FOR ME! - 01/17/09 02:30 AM

Any Hoyt!!!

Re: CHOOSE MY BOW FOR ME! - 01/17/09 03:04 AM

No Hoyt sorry

Posted By: Brother in-law

Re: CHOOSE MY BOW FOR ME! - 01/17/09 03:24 AM

Honestly for your size and you can probably save a buttload of money I would get the switchback xt. It will be more than enough, and yes its like 3 or 4 years old but they are smooth.

Re: CHOOSE MY BOW FOR ME! - 01/17/09 03:45 AM

Quote:

Honestly for your size and you can probably save a buttload of money I would get the switchback xt. It will be more than enough, and yes its like 3 or 4 years old but they are smooth.

Can you still buy that model new, or do you have to find one used?

Re: CHOOSE MY BOW FOR ME! - 01/17/09 03:46 AM

? I think

Re: CHOOSE MY BOW FOR ME! - 01/17/09 03:47 AM

Quote:

Call me I can get you set up for well under $1000 and will be top of the line bow and equipment.

I may do that when I get the money together! I am leaning towards Mathews simply because I like the look of thier bows, and they obviously have a loyal following! I am open to any and all suggestions though!

Do you sell Mathews?

Re: CHOOSE MY BOW FOR ME! - 01/17/09 03:50 AM

You may have to part with one of your 3 guns you own

Re: CHOOSE MY BOW FOR ME! - 01/17/09 03:51 AM

Quote:

sell em all....u dont need em.

Re: CHOOSE MY BOW FOR ME! - 01/17/09 03:54 AM

That is your azz, don't listen to these bow hunters don't sell your guns!

Re: CHOOSE MY BOW FOR ME! - 01/17/09 03:55 AM

Quote:

Stay tuned! I plan on posting a few in the next few days!

Watching them arrows fly this past weekend looked like alot of fun!!

Re: CHOOSE MY BOW FOR ME! - 01/17/09 03:56 AM

Quote:

I have been brain washed by them when it comes to High Fences and Bow Hunting!

Re: CHOOSE MY BOW FOR ME! - 01/17/09 04:13 AM

Pm me with what deals you got to come

Re: CHOOSE MY BOW FOR ME! - 01/17/09 04:16 AM

I got a scope for you since txb won't come get it. . This is my first Friday at home since October feels weird!

Re: CHOOSE MY BOW FOR ME! - 01/17/09 04:18 AM

Quote:

I got a scope for you since txb won't come get it. . This is my first Friday at home since October feels weird!

damnit son, thats my scope.

Re: CHOOSE MY BOW FOR ME! - 01/17/09 04:19 AM

Quote:

Pm me with what deals you got to come

You have already seen most of them:

Sako 416 Rem Mag
Winchester Super Grade 458 Win Mag
Ruger 30-06
Remington Model 7 7mm-08
Winchester 9410 410 shotgun

Might even find something else to part with too!

Re: CHOOSE MY BOW FOR ME! - 01/17/09 04:20 AM

send me pic of 7 08 I forgot

Re: CHOOSE MY BOW FOR ME! - 01/17/09 04:21 AM

Just yankin your chain txb!

Re: CHOOSE MY BOW FOR ME! - 01/17/09 04:27 AM

Quote:

send me pic of 7 08 I forgot

Done!

Re: CHOOSE MY BOW FOR ME! - 01/17/09 04:30 AM

Serioulsy.....I know your in to high fences but don't think Fossil Rim is going to let you shot one of thier rhino's.....

Sako 416 Rem Mag

Re: CHOOSE MY BOW FOR ME! - 01/17/09 04:32 AM

Quote:

Serioulsy.....I know your in to high fences but don't think Fossil Rim is going to let you shot one of thier rhino's.....

Sako 416 Rem Mag

At least I aint going to shoot a hog (in a pen) with a 50 BMG like a couple of other knuckle heads posting on here today!

Re: CHOOSE MY BOW FOR ME! - 01/17/09 04:32 AM

Rowlett is getting rough these days

Re: CHOOSE MY BOW FOR ME! - 01/17/09 04:33 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Sako 416 Rem Mag

At least I aint going to shoot a hog (in a pen) with a 50 BMG like a couple of other knuckle heads posting on here today!

gonna shoot em in the FACE!

Re: CHOOSE MY BOW FOR ME! - 01/17/09 04:34 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Sako 416 Rem Mag

There where only testing bullet expansion nothing wrong with doing it to a the TEXAS PLAGUE(or Feral pig)

Seriously the new bow make bow hunting a lot more enjoyable/

Re: CHOOSE MY BOW FOR ME! - 01/17/09 04:35 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Sako 416 Rem Mag

gonna shoot em in the FACE!

That should make for some impressive video footage!!

I bet its head will explode like a watermelon!!

Re: CHOOSE MY BOW FOR ME! - 01/17/09 04:36 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Sako 416 Rem Mag

Might as well make it worth my time

Re: CHOOSE MY BOW FOR ME! - 01/17/09 04:37 AM

Due they make a 50 cal TSX?

Re: CHOOSE MY BOW FOR ME! - 01/17/09 04:37 AM

Quote:

Rowlett is getting rough these days

As it would seem. Hows school going

Re: CHOOSE MY BOW FOR ME! - 01/17/09 04:44 AM

All I can say is Feb. 27

Re: CHOOSE MY BOW FOR ME! - 01/17/09 04:47 AM

Quote:

Due they make a 50 cal TSX?

is that copper?

Re: CHOOSE MY BOW FOR ME! - 01/17/09 05:14 AM

lots of copper

Re: CHOOSE MY BOW FOR ME! - 01/17/09 06:13 AM

Lots of damage!

Posted By: DFWPI

Re: CHOOSE MY BOW FOR ME! - 01/17/09 06:39 AM

Mathews DXT

Posted By: ChrisHen

Re: CHOOSE MY BOW FOR ME! - 01/17/09 07:59 AM

Mathews Switchback or Outback, DXT is pretty sweet too. like the feel of my switchback better tho, New Hoyt Alphamax is pretty bada** too. NOT a Fan at all of the Bowtech/Diamond Bows. My buddy has a Bear Archery Truth 2 and is shoots like a champ. Thats my $.04. i think my thoughts are worth more than 2 cents lol

Re: CHOOSE MY BOW FOR ME! - 01/17/09 08:04 AM

I don't!

Re: CHOOSE MY BOW FOR ME! - 01/17/09 04:23 PM

I don't sell mathews. I do sell Elite and working on getting PSE pro line. To me those two brands are way ahead of Mathews. Smooth fast and quiet.

Posted By: okbowhunter

Re: CHOOSE MY BOW FOR ME! - 01/20/09 06:12 AM

I just bought a new Alpine Silverado and I love it. Shot two hogs with it this past weekend it's pretty sweet.

http://www.bowhunting.net/artman/publish/NewProducts/New_Match_Grade_Silverado.shtml

Jim Shockey shoots the Silverado .... didn't know this until I'd already bought mine.

http://www.alpinearchery.com/jimshockeypage.html

Truth is there are a lot of good bows out there you just have to settle in on a few different ones, shoot them and then decide. I do recommend go ahead and spend the money and get a good one. Don't buy some used pos thinking you'll just try bowhunting before investing the money. You'll end up regretting it if you don't.

Posted By: HunterTed

Re: CHOOSE MY BOW FOR ME! - 01/20/09 09:01 AM

I've probably owned more bows in the past 3 or 4 years than any 10 folks on here combined. At one time I had 5 Mathews bows I was shooting. I never thought I would shoot a bow that would pull me away from Mathews...........Lemme tell you. Only thing I own now that says mathews is a cap. PSE X force changed my way of thinking and made me sell every Mathews I owned. IMO you will not put a Better bow in your hands for hunting purposes...........

Re: CHOOSE MY BOW FOR ME! - 01/21/09 02:15 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I have been brain washed by them when it comes to High Fences and Bow Hunting!

OMG, ILMAO

But you are correct in that bow hunting is completely addictive! I couldn't care any less about picking up a rifle anymore. Call me crazy but I'd rather stick a 130" buck then shoot a 170" with a rifle. And yes BMD, that goes for HF or LF for that matter!

Re: CHOOSE MY BOW FOR ME! - 01/21/09 02:20 AM

Quote:

I don't sell mathews. I do sell Elite and working on getting PSE pro line. To me those two brands are way ahead of Mathews. Smooth fast and quiet.

Way to go Wes70, that ought to get the Mathews boys all riled up! Hell, they can be harder on comments like that then BMD and JCB are on high fence hunting. Oops, I forgot, they are now in the mix as high fence hunters so that don't hold water anymore! And BMD, don't give us any crap about not having a rifle at the high fence ranch you went to a couple of weeks ago......that doesn't count!

Re: CHOOSE MY BOW FOR ME! - 01/21/09 02:27 AM

I had a rifle but still not gonna shoot a penned whitetail, I don't mind killing pigs anywhere! Don't have problem with shooting exotics either, but still thinking shooting a wt in a pen is bs, fun maybe, but there don't mean chit! Here we go again!

Re: CHOOSE MY BOW FOR ME! - 01/21/09 02:34 AM

Quote:

I've probably owned more bows in the past 3 or 4 years than any 10 folks on here combined. At one time I had 5 Mathews bows I was shooting. I never thought I would shoot a bow that would pull me away from Mathews...........Lemme tell you. Only thing I own now that says mathews is a cap. PSE X force changed my way of thinking and made me sell every Mathews I owned. IMO you will not put a Better bow in your hands for hunting purposes...........

Wow, that is saying a lot! You should get some hate mail from the Mathews boys on this one!

Re: CHOOSE MY BOW FOR ME! - 01/21/09 03:01 AM

bigbucks likes stirring the pot no doubt!

Re: CHOOSE MY BOW FOR ME! - 01/21/09 07:17 AM

Quote:

I had a rifle but still not gonna shoot a penned whitetail, I don't mind killing pigs anywhere! Don't have problem with shooting exotics either, but still thinking shooting a wt in a pen is bs, fun maybe, but there don't mean chit! Here we go again!

High fence deer taste the same as low fence deer!

Re: CHOOSE MY BOW FOR ME! - 01/21/09 07:19 AM

You are killin me!

Re: CHOOSE MY BOW FOR ME! - 01/21/09 07:19 AM

Quote:

Yeah.....BMD would never stir the pot now would he???

Re: CHOOSE MY BOW FOR ME! - 01/21/09 07:36 AM

Who me? Never!

Re: CHOOSE MY BOW FOR ME! - 01/21/09 07:38 AM

Quote:

Who me? Never!

Me either!!!

Someone might sue me if I tried to stir the pot a little bit! I think that post went bye bye though!

Re: CHOOSE MY BOW FOR ME! - 01/21/09 08:55 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Who me? Never!

Me either!!!

Someone might sue me if I tried to stir the pot a little bit! I think that post went bye bye though!

Re: CHOOSE MY BOW FOR ME! - 01/21/09 05:42 PM

didn't last long!

Re: CHOOSE MY BOW FOR ME! - 01/21/09 06:38 PM

I still say Mathews, even AFTER shooting the X-Force... I am not going to say anything bad about the other manufacturers, because all in all, it is strictly personal opinion. All of the leading brands make great bows. Other than FPS, there is no way to PROVE that one bow is better than the other. Personally I would be willing to sacrifice a few FPS for a bow that feels right and I like shooting...

Posted By: rifleman

Re: CHOOSE MY BOW FOR ME! - 01/21/09 06:53 PM

I will have to quote a wise old man that used to own a local bow shop... and also drug me around shooting tournys. "It's not the arrow, it's the indian.... no matter what you buy, shoot it well or leave it at the house"

Re: CHOOSE MY BOW FOR ME! - 01/21/09 07:07 PM

Quote:

Some people make the pot easier to stir then others!

BMD, next year you need to invite me up to that lease of yours so I can see if I'm good enought to lay the wood to one of those big old management bucks you have running around up there! I'd bet we'd get along pretty damn good as well. Hell, you might take a liking to me so well you'd let me lay down one of those big N Tex trophy bucks you guys been bustin'! I know that they are much harder to put on the ground then those stupid HF bucks, but I'd do my best!

Re: CHOOSE MY BOW FOR ME! - 01/21/09 07:12 PM

Prolly would get along great, but only guests are immediate family, sorry

Posted By: Double_Drop_Tines

Re: CHOOSE MY BOW FOR ME! - 01/21/09 07:55 PM

Quote:

JCB, I'd suggest that you go to a pro shop that has many different brands and take some time and shoot them all! I did it before I made my choice and am glad I did. I shot 20+ bows in one day at the same shop including Mathews, Ross, BowTech, Diamond, & Hoyts. Have them set them all at the same draw length and weight and make sure that they are all 'naked' with just a rest on them so you can get a 'true' feel for which draw and release you like the best. Most shops have a Chrony so that you can also see which one shoots what speed at the same setting!

Don't let anybody tell you what bow is best for you because all of the top of the line bows are damn good and each is a little different! They are all good and they will all shoot well. What is important is to have it set up exactly correct for you and to buy good arrows for it!

My Diamond Black Ice was not shooting great and I took it back into Mesquite Archery in SA. The arrows were ripping the paper and I thought I had a tuning issue. My bow was sighted in with my broadheads and it was hitting 6" high and 3" left with field points. He took one look and told me there was nothing wrong with the bow and that my arrows were the problem. He said they were not heavy enough spline and they were torking too much coming off the string. I spent about $90 or so on some new Eastman arrows that have a stiffer spine but are the exact same weight as teh Gold Tips I was shooting and bingo, I have a perfect hole through the paper now and my groups dramatically improved! Mesquite sells the arrows and lets you choose the fletchings and they put them on. I chose the Blazer Quick Spins at their reccomendation and I'm happier then pigs in s==t with them!

Go spend a day at a good pro shop and you won't have any regrets. Forget about the brand name and buy the one that fits you!

This is very solid advice. From your place, I'd go to AllStar in Dallas, just behind the Chevy dealer at Buckner and I-30. I believe they are on Dilido rd, about 3 block north of the north feeder red. They have lots of different brands. Please go shoot as many as you can, the bow will choose you. One more thing, if you want to only shoot at 62lbs, I'd look at a bow with a draw weight of 50 to 60 lbs, and max it out, it will perform better.

Re: CHOOSE MY BOW FOR ME! - 01/21/09 08:04 PM

I forgot all about All Star! When I get my money together I might make a run over there and check them out!

Thanks!

Posted By: Double_Drop_Tines

Re: CHOOSE MY BOW FOR ME! - 01/21/09 08:18 PM

No prob bro. I have a new bow on layaway over there. it's the '08 General, by BowTech. Man is it ever sweet. Good luck JCB on your new bow. They may still have some more '08 you could get for a reduced price? You won't regret shooting as many as you can, trust me. They are great to deal with as well.

Posted By: txcornhusker

Re: CHOOSE MY BOW FOR ME! - 01/21/09 08:37 PM

JCB...don't let anyone talk you into a Matthews. Sub par equipment! Look hard at Hoyt!

Re: CHOOSE MY BOW FOR ME! - 01/21/09 08:38 PM

Quote:

JCB...don't let anyone talk you into a Matthews. Sub par equipment! Look hard at Hoyt!

Or Elite

Re: CHOOSE MY BOW FOR ME! - 01/22/09 06:27 AM

Quote:

Prolly would get along great, but only guests are immediate family, sorry

Dangit! Crappy rule. I know your personality and I think you could get that one changed easily! I'll be waiting and looking forward to that PM invitation.

Re: CHOOSE MY BOW FOR ME! - 01/22/09 06:30 AM

I can't I agree and we are all good friends on the lease, no group I would rather hunt with!

Re: CHOOSE MY BOW FOR ME! - 01/22/09 07:20 AM

JCB, someone just posted a Drenalin in trading post fully rigged for $500!!!! Jump on it!!!

Re: CHOOSE MY BOW FOR ME! - 01/22/09 07:23 AM

yeah JCB jump on it!

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum