Texas Hunting Forum

Awkward Draw in the Stand

Posted By: B Razorback

Awkward Draw in the Stand - 09/30/14 03:28 PM

I'm just curious on what yall think about this one. So I was practicing out of a stand one of the old hunters put up about a year ago. Obviously it was designed for left hand shooters because when I shot from the stand, I had to change my anchor point. I have to lean forward a bit so I don't hit the big tree branch behind me. Can I make a natural ground blind beside the stand and hunt from that? From the experience I've had with ground blinds, the deer always seem to notice them. So should I just get use to the shot from the stand or should I make a natural ground blind beside the stand? Thanks!
Posted By: SpoonPlatoon

Re: Awkward Draw in the Stand - 09/30/14 03:40 PM

Is the old guy still around? if not move it or cut the branch off.
Posted By: DuckCoach1985

Re: Awkward Draw in the Stand - 09/30/14 03:45 PM

The only time I've been successful from the ground is from a pop up ground blind. Deer, especially the does will always notice movement at their level, particularly if there's new structure. I always prefer to be up in a tree. Cut the branch off if you can (make sure you still have a backdrop that hides your silhouette) and hunt from as high as you can!
Posted By: kmon11

Re: Awkward Draw in the Stand - 09/30/14 04:00 PM

It does help to be high up but have drawn successfully on deer while stalking, from natural ground blinds and tree stand that was only 6 feet up. All about background, slow movement and when to draw. Have also been busted several times on drawing but hey that is part of hunting.

I know I give up quite a bit of speed/trajectory on the arrow by shooting only 52lbs but the ability to make a smooth stealthy draw without any extra motion does help enough IMO to draw undetected much of the time.
Posted By: ChrisB

Re: Awkward Draw in the Stand - 09/30/14 04:02 PM

Rotate the stand clockwise if you are right handed. I always try to set my stands about 45* from where I plan to be shooting. It's easy to shoot the left but very difficult to shoot right much past straight on.

Re: Awkward Draw in the Stand - 09/30/14 04:03 PM

If you cannot get the tree branch out of the way without sacrificing backdrop cover then I would go with the ground blind. brush it in well and good luck.

Re: Awkward Draw in the Stand - 09/30/14 04:27 PM

I would love to cut the branch down but the thing is as round as I am and if I cut it down, I would probably kill the tree.. I will see if I can move it just a tad bit forward (sorry forgot to mention its a tripod)

Re: Awkward Draw in the Stand - 09/30/14 04:32 PM

Just make sure if moving the tripod to get it tied down well, do not want to see another accident thread about a falling tripod.

good luck

Re: Awkward Draw in the Stand - 09/30/14 06:48 PM

Ill make sure to tie it down! Thanks for the help!
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum