Texas Hunting Forum

245 fps Crossbow/ Does it have the power?

Posted By: Hunter Daddy

245 fps Crossbow/ Does it have the power? - 09/22/14 06:38 PM

I just purchased a Barnett crossbow that shoots 245 fps. My wife will be hunting with it. Will it be adequate enough to kill a big buck at 25-30 yards? And what type of broadhead should I use with this "slower" shooting crossbow?
Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: 245 fps Crossbow/ Does it have the power? - 09/22/14 07:00 PM

noise is going to be the issue, crossbows are inherently loud

I would keep shots at around 20, use a good cut on contact broadhead.
Posted By: Tactical Cowboy

Re: 245 fps Crossbow/ Does it have the power? - 09/22/14 07:23 PM

It will be fine.
Posted By: Aaron12

Re: 245 fps Crossbow/ Does it have the power? - 09/22/14 07:25 PM

Ted Nugent kills Deer at 40 yards with 45lb draw that's less then 245 fps..Im sure your wife aint no Ted Nugent no pun intended but I think she will be fine. Keep your distance short and aim small miss small.
Posted By: kry226

Re: 245 fps Crossbow/ Does it have the power? - 09/22/14 08:11 PM

Concur with all the above. You don't need 400 fps to kill a deer.
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: 245 fps Crossbow/ Does it have the power? - 09/22/14 10:22 PM

Originally Posted By: Aaron12
Ted Nugent kills Deer at 40 yards with 45lb draw that's less then 245 fps..Im sure your wife aint no Ted Nugent no pun intended but I think she will be fine. Keep your distance short and aim small miss small.
I agree. If it's accurate, and the bolt/head you're shooting meets the minimum weight for your crossbow (check the fine print), you should be good to at least 25 yards. Beyond that, a slower bolt is going to give the deer more time to jump the string. If possible, try to wait for a good broadside shot on a calm deer. I think you're in business.
Posted By: 7ARanch

Re: 245 fps Crossbow/ Does it have the power? - 09/22/14 11:01 PM

245 FPS is plenty with the right arrow or bolt in this case. We killed deer and elk in the early - mid 80's with bows that weren't close to that speed. Accurate shooting with a good understanding of shot placement will be the key, but then it's the key if your shooting 300 FPS too.
Posted By: TonyinVA

Re: 245 fps Crossbow/ Does it have the power? - 09/23/14 12:34 AM

That should be fine with a good broadhead.....I'd avoid a mechanical broadhead to stay on the safe side.

Re: 245 fps Crossbow/ Does it have the power? - 09/23/14 01:45 AM

Originally Posted By: 7ARanch
245 FPS is plenty with the right arrow or bolt in this case. We killed deer and elk in the early - mid 80's with bows that weren't close to that speed. Accurate shooting with a good understanding of shot placement will be the key, but then it's the key if your shooting 300 FPS too.
And before that it was 180 FPS recurves...
Posted By: Navasot

Re: 245 fps Crossbow/ Does it have the power? - 09/23/14 01:54 AM

The Hoyt I killed my first pig, doe and buck struggled to do 230 at 42lbs... Shoot for the lungs
Posted By: MathMan

Re: 245 fps Crossbow/ Does it have the power? - 09/23/14 03:25 AM

Just shoot when you have a good shot. If the deer is jumpy and looks nervous I wouldn't take the shot. Like said above, if it's accurate then it should be fine. Hopefully it's not too loud. Shoot for lungs.

I wish I could get my wife to hunt!!!

Let us know how it goes.

245fps at 30yards will take about .367sec.

325fps at 40yards will take about .369sec.

So shooting 30yards with yours should be fine.
Posted By: 4dog

Re: 245 fps Crossbow/ Does it have the power? - 09/25/14 09:35 PM

If you can kill a deer with a 165fps selfbow...a 200 something fps crossbow outta do it.
Posted By: JThoele

Re: 245 fps Crossbow/ Does it have the power? - 09/25/14 11:28 PM

Originally Posted By: 4dog
If you can kill a deer with a 165fps selfbow...a 200 something fps crossbow outta do it.
without diving deep into the subject of science and debate, be aware that simply comparing velocity of one bow to another [in this case a crossbow and a traditional bow] is not an apes to apples comparison and is unrelated to how well they perform in terms of terminal ballistics on a given animal.
Posted By: rjd

Re: 245 fps Crossbow/ Does it have the power? - 09/26/14 04:35 AM

Originally Posted By: JThoele
without diving deep into the subject of science and debate, be aware that simply comparing velocity of one bow to another [in this case a crossbow and a traditional bow] is not an apes to apples comparison and is unrelated to how well they perform in terms of terminal ballistics on a given animal.

If arrow weight is similar. please explain how the comparison is not relavent.

Re: 245 fps Crossbow/ Does it have the power? - 09/26/14 05:48 AM

Originally Posted By: rjd

I'm sure his bow has enough KE to put the animal in shock...
Posted By: JThoele

Re: 245 fps Crossbow/ Does it have the power? - 09/26/14 04:56 PM

Originally Posted By: rjd

Because I was basing it on arrow weight NOT being equal. Average crossbow bolt is usually much lighter than an average traditional bow arrow weight.
Posted By: MathMan

Re: 245 fps Crossbow/ Does it have the power? - 09/27/14 03:47 AM

To kill a deer ethically you need at least 25lbs kinetic energy.
Yours will have more than enough at 30 yards.

Posted By: 4dog

Re: 245 fps Crossbow/ Does it have the power? - 09/27/14 09:50 AM

Man....yer thinkin too hard...im going hunting!!!!!
Posted By: Buckenvy

Re: 245 fps Crossbow/ Does it have the power? - 12/27/14 09:42 AM

considering bolt weight, that's a lot of kinetic energy on the move
Posted By: chital_shikari

Re: 245 fps Crossbow/ Does it have the power? - 01/15/15 03:50 AM

Originally Posted By: Tactical Cowboy
It will be fine.
X2
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum