Texas Hunting Forum

Bow String Fraying

Posted By: HelmCrusher

Bow String Fraying - 09/05/14 03:38 AM

I am trying to fix my old PSE Nova so I can have a back up bow this season. After about 100 shots my cam will wear its way through the protection wrap and start fraying the bow string. I've looked at the cam and to the naked eye it appears to be straight and bur free. Any ideas what could cause this? Thanks
Posted By: Bullfrog

Re: Bow String Fraying - 09/05/14 05:59 AM

Got any pics?

Re: Bow String Fraying - 09/06/14 02:10 PM

As soon as my cell recharges I'll post pics
Posted By: J.G.

Re: Bow String Fraying - 09/06/14 02:40 PM

I wonder if it's twisted from centerline of it's rotation? So it's rotating ecentric. If that makes sense.

Have to have someone watch being drawn or set up a camera. Just spitballing here.

Re: Bow String Fraying - 09/07/14 01:18 AM

Sorry it took so long for the photos

Posted By: kmon11

Re: Bow String Fraying - 09/07/14 06:24 AM

Is the string rubbing the limb during the draw cycle? have seen one that was due to a warped limb. Hard to tell from the pics though there is definitely string wear where it should not be.

Re: Bow String Fraying - 09/07/14 05:18 PM

Originally Posted By: kmon1
Is the string rubbing the limb during the draw cycle? have seen one that was due to a warped limb. Hard to tell from the pics though there is definitely string wear where it should not be.

Kmon1 I am glad you pointed this out and I think you are right. I am thinking once the string gets to the high point of the cam it is rubbed up against the fork of the limb.

Now the question is how do I fix this and what is the cause of this?
If I can't I guess I could always restring it, zip tie it and hang it in the man cave.
Posted By: kmon11

Re: Bow String Fraying - 09/08/14 02:56 AM

It could be several things that are happening, the worst of which would be twisted limb causing it. When is the last time the string/cable was changed? If the string/cable a
re not right or have stretched too much it can lead to this issue. Check the axle to axle length and see if it is what the manual says it should be, my guess it will be a little long requiring string/cable to need shortening then timing the bow to get back operational.
Posted By: Geezer Ranger

Re: Bow String Fraying - 09/08/14 03:10 AM

In the pictures the cam looks canted (off center). That could be worn axle or a twisted limb.

Re: Bow String Fraying - 09/11/14 10:13 PM

Thanks guys if it is a worn axle ill be taking it in to the local bow shop. Does anyone know how much this would cost? If I had a bow press I would do it my self.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum