Texas Hunting Forum

Best Broadhead for low FPS youth bow

Posted By: lowell

Best Broadhead for low FPS youth bow - 09/05/14 01:36 AM

Need to know what Broadhead for penetration on my sons bow which is shooting 215 FPs he will mainly be shooting hogs thanks for the help
Posted By: kmon11

Re: Best Broadhead for low FPS youth bow - 09/05/14 02:30 AM

2 blade like Stinger or if going 3 blade Montec. More pemetration with the 2 blade and make sure to use a cut on contact broadhead that is sharp.
Posted By: bjankowski

Re: Best Broadhead for low FPS youth bow - 09/05/14 02:41 AM

Originally Posted By: kmon1
2 blade like Stinger or if going 3 blade Montec. More pemetration with the 2 blade and make sure to use a cut on contact broadhead that is sharp.

I agree most broad heads off the shelf are not razor sharp. If you have a way to sharpen them I suggest to sharpen them to where they shave hair before he hunts with them.
Posted By: chital_shikari

Re: Best Broadhead for low FPS youth bow - 09/05/14 02:47 AM

I've been using 85gr Thunderheads since I was at 32lb. Have only lost one animal, and only due to shooter error. The kills were pass thoughs, double lungs, and rib cutting.

Have fun shooting Thunderheads! I love em

The Rage 40KE fly well for me (duh), but I'm now at 55lb and haven't used them yet.
Posted By: Gummi Bear

Re: Best Broadhead for low FPS youth bow - 09/05/14 02:27 PM

The Thunderheads are a great choice. I shot them for lots of years, with a bow that wasn't much over 200FPS, and a 40-45lb draw (letoff on those old bows was only 20%, not like the 80% today!)

My daughter is using the Montec in 85gr.

It is super easy to sharpen, and is a cut on contact (COC) head. Added bonus is that it is one piece, so nothing to break or fall apart.

I am also very fond of the Slick Trick heads. They offer a 85gr in the standard head, and I wouldn't hesitate to put on on for a light draw weight shooter. They fly great, have the best blades in the business, and penetrate really well.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum